Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to cut down my windshield on my gl1500 and make it shorter i am looking at the top edge and want to look over the top any body out there cut their own down.what kind of saw and how fine of a blade did you use ? thanks.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Here is a link of a video of it being done:

I cut mine down with a saws all and a fine metal blade. I just masked off the plastic and drew a line on it and then cut away. Afterwards, I tried to use a rotary bit to clean up the edges but I found out that the rotary bit just follows the same edge, so I adopted a sanding block with 60 grit sandpaper and it turned out great.

Note on the video: YOU CAN TURN THE MUSIC OFF!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I know the general mindset is to be able to look over a bike's shield, especially in the rain, but I've ridden with oversized shields for years now - in the rain... at night - and looking over them has never been better for me than looking through them. Of course, you need a good shield to do that and you need to keep it clean and scratch-free, but there's no way I'd go back to a shield I can easily look over. YMMV, of course.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
I know the general mindset is to be able to look over a bike's shield, especially in the rain, but I've ridden with oversized shields for years now - in the rain... at night - and looking over them has never been better for me than looking through them. Of course, you need a good shield to do that and you need to keep it clean and scratch-free, but there's no way I'd go back to a shield I can easily look over. YMMV, of course.
+1 on that. The only downside to the tall w.s that I found was when the water ran to the top & dripped over it would drip right on the Stereo. It didn't matter to me because I had a cover for it but if someone didn't they may find the info useful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response guys,i only want to cut off an inch or two and i can still raise it up in the rain and cold plus i have one of those giant shields also. Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts