Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My windshield tuned into a real "snob" on the GL1800. I disassembled the windshield but the problem was of course in the latch mechanism. I finally finagled the W/S down but I am concerned about raising it because I think it will stick again.

Can anyone tell me how this mechanism works and/or another procedure to get it down if it does stick again???

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
My 2010 GW windshield has to go all the way up before it will go down.....hope this helps...

·
Registered
154 Posts
It should work as follows. Unclamp the latches on both sides and pull the shield up. It should ratchet up a number of positions depending on where you started. To lower it, you pull the windshield all the way up which releases the ratchet mechanism and then you should be able to slide it back down to a lower position. Remember to clamp it back down when you get it adjusted where you want.
If you take off the cover (above the headlights) you should be able to see how it works easily.
Here is a demo how you put a F4 windshield on - shows you how to remove the piece over the headlights.
http://www.f4customs.com/install_pages.php?id=8
Rob

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
My 2010 GW windshield has to go all the way up before it will go down.....hope this helps...
Like yourself, I have to lower the windshield all the way down before I raise it to my desired level. Grandy, I can't tell you how it works, but having the service manual I could possibly send you the service schematic for the windshield mechanism.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RKPOO after watching the video, I need to go back in change something under the front cowl, thanks for the video. I must have a defective latch as mine wont move up and down like in the video.

Chopin, I have a service manual, thank you, it is just a little different than the bike. I think for now I will just leave it down. I love the wind hitting my face anyway

·
Registered
20 Posts
that ratchet mechinism breaks on most gw's especially the older ones, the repair part is only about $12 but a p.i.t.a. to replace.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It should work as follows. Unclamp the latches on both sides and pull the shield up. It should ratchet up a number of positions depending on where you started. To lower it, you pull the windshield all the way up which releases the ratchet mechanism and then you should be able to slide it back down to a lower position. Remember to clamp it back down when you get it adjusted where you want.
If you take off the cover (above the headlights) you should be able to see how it works easily.
Here is a demo how you put a F4 windshield on - shows you how to remove the piece over the headlights.
http://www.f4customs.com/install_pages.php?id=8
Rob
Thanks Rob!

I just love instructional videos when it comes to the Wing. I've bookmarked the page for future reference. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As it turns out this was repaired by a "bracket" of some kind, and it was covered by warranty to boot....

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
My 1800 shield works fine (ok I gotta say it) even if there is no &%$!? button to push;), but it's less than two years young yet. My 1500 was a different story, royal PITA to adjust, stiff to the point of "ah, screw it" and I left it alone.

dan b, you're so full of sh*t!.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.