Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Just got into a nice '83 Goldwing GL110. The whole bike is in incredible condition, except the windshield.

It looks opaque, and hard to see through - especially at night. Tried rubbing it down hard with a wet chamois, but no improvement.

The opaque-ness doesn't look like scratches, but rather some sort of film sticking to the shield.

QUESTION - Does anyone have a suggestion on how to clean the windshield right down to the surface again? If I can clean it that would be great, or else I'll have to just buy a new one. Too hard to drive safe at night.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
If the damage is due to ultra-violet rays, it may be toast. That damage is almost always fatal. If not there are two different products that were designed for use in the aircraft industry on lexan windscreens that have made it over to the powersports industry with excellent results.

The first I’d try is a three step system by a brand called NOVIS. Use the #3 first to remove scratches, abrasions and discoloration. Go to #2 to polish it out, and finish with #1 to clean. You’ll probably have to ask for it at a shop, but it can be ordered by any Parts Unlimited retailer.

The other product, primarily for cleaning and light polishing, is one called Plexus. I use this on my bike since it was new. This stuff just flat works and works GREAT. Best windshield / face shield cleaner I have ever used, and will not harm anything. I keep some in the bags for use while out riding.

And remember, the key is to NEVER wipe the windshield when it's dry or rub with your fingernail to remove bugs. Always wet it first to help remove the dirt and bugs. Some guys carry a damp micro cloth in a sealed bag for just that reason.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Be careful if power-polishing the shield. If you cut into it or heat it up too much, it can end up clear but will look distorted in spots. I've read where people have wet sanded the shield with 2000 or finer paper (on a flat sanding block), then buffed it out with polishing compound.
Another product you could try is any of the auto headlight polishing products. Some come with power buffing pads.
Worth a shot before buying a new shield.
Rob

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It's an 83 and probably the stock shield, buy a new one you will be much happier.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
if you can get the hase out of it it will only stay clear for a short time so just replace it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just installed a new winshield on my 99' 1500,and does it look great! I tried novus to no avail,so I paid $144 for a stock replacement.F-4's were too expensive.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I just bought a new windshield through JC Whitney for 99$ Was a good investment!! Slipstreamer!

·
Registered
793 Posts
An 83? I'd just buy a new shield since they are so cheap. Should be able to find one under $150. Your time trying to restore an old one isn't worth the price of a new one. The only reason I spent so much time on on my 83 Venture was the cost of a new one was over $300. If I ever decide to finish the refinishing job, I'll probaly have to buy a new one for it.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
when i first got my 1500 wing not only was the windshield hazed but stress cracked too. i had to repolishing it every two to three days but the sun sparkeling off the stress cracks was blinding so i replaced it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts