Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that its getting colder here in the Carolina's,
I have moved my windshield up to the highest setting on my 1800.

I had it as low as it could go before. I really don't like looking through it as much as over it. However, when its cooler, it helps to have it up higher. I ride with an open face helmet for now. I have a full face helmet too but its cheap, and has a lot of wind noise
So how many of you look through vs over the windshield?

I am thinking I should really find a higher quality full face helmet, one that is quiet, no buffeting and lower the windshield back down so I can see over it. When its warmer this is not an issue. I am looking for cooler, bordering on cold suggestions.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I look through it....The only time I don't like it is when the fog is thick and cold.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Definitely over it. Very seldom is it set high enough to look through.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
over it , i leave my house at 4 am everyday and its been in the low 40's but i use my nolan helmet and put face shield down during the morning , and flip it up when i come home , btw i love this helmet when you turn it into a full helmet hardly no noise at all

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I've always liked to look through the windscreen. Just my preference. Had a Tulsa tall windscreen on my 98 GL1500 and it was like riding in a bubble..

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I look over it--I'm too tall to look through it.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I look through my Tulsa tall the only bad thing is those mornings when it fogs up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I look over - to tall to look through. I upgraded from a 3/4 helmet to a nice Shoei Multitech helmet. Can't believe how much quieter the Shoei is, and the reduced head buffeting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a GL1800, 2004. I am 6'4". The original windscreen was too short even when full up. My head buffeted constantly - like side to side/. I now have the Tulsa tall (and wider too). I look through the windscreen and it is great. Fog and certain rain conditions can be a problem, but I also have a couple of walmart gel pads for the seat . The pads raise me up about 2" and by sitting up very straight I can see over the windscreen if needed. It works for me!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I usually look through my windwhield.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm only 5'7" so just barely tall enough to look over the windshield when it is all the way down. I too have raised it all the way up now that the air is turning cooler. I don't mind looking through the windshield. Actually I will probably leave it up come spring and next summer as well because it makes the stereo sound better - it seems to be less tinty which in turn stopped me from getting slight headache from jammin tunes pretty loud for several hours [yep, i'm a headbanger].

Also, I'm already accustomed to looking through because of my height on my Road King. I would have to purposely sit all the way erect to view over. I've got friends that have taken saws to their shields to lower them, but I just can't bring myself to do that.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My 2001 came with an Windbender. It is a 2 piece shield that both parts are adjustable, but designed to look over. It has a lip at the top of the 2nd shield so it is hard to see through the bend. The air flows nicely over me and my rider. I use to have a VT1100C Shadow with a tall shield which was great until it fogged up. I even tried the anti-fog chemicals that would work the first time it got wet.

I just looked up this Windbender online and it is about $450, so I got a better deal than I thought on the bike. I highly recommend it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts