Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 86 Interstate and havn't ridden it yet (2 feet of snow).I'm curious whether the Wing wind shield is set up typically so you look through it or over it. I saw in the manual I can adjust it one inch.

Hopefully I can lower it and then see over it. I have been riding too long with only wind, bugs and rain in my face to starting having to look through plastic.

Anybody trimmed the top of their shield?

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Hi R & C, all the bikes I've had in the past I looked over the shield. When I bought this bike 4 years ago it had the tall Tulsa shield on her. I switched it to a standard high F4 and like it better. I'm 6.1 and still look through it if I slouch, but when raining or spitting I sit up tall in the saddle and look over. Much better for me.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I put a Markland tall windshield on my 93 way back in 94 and really like it oh yah I look through it. However when it rains, not so nice.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You can adjust the windshield where you can look over it and have the wind go over your head, if you like to look through it than you can do that, but I like to look over it unless it's raining than I raise it and look through it.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I prefer to look over the top of the screen. Best way is to experiment with it until you find what works best for you once the snow's gone.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I'm a through the screen kind of guy.. Maybe because I'm short, but I just prefer not having the wind on my face.. I had a Tulsa tall shield on my 98 GL1500 and loved it..

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Gee R&C, I got so caught up in thigs I forgot to say welcome to the place!:eek:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Over for the most part, during wet weather I have been known to slouch somewhat to avoid the stinging droplets. ;)

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Put on a tall shield for a road trip, liked it so much I left it on maybe it's my age but I don't like bugs bouncing off my face.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello R&C,I ride an 86 Aspencade and prefer to look over the window.I shortened mine 4" but didn't cut the top,I cut the bottom.somewhere in this site is a thread that I posted but I couldn't tell you where It is(i'm not much of a computer geek).So I'll write it again. I removed the window and made a template out of cardboard of the mounting configuration (holes),then decided how much to cut off and put duct tape on both sides of the line to be cut and cut the window with a sidewinder (4" angle grinder).then used My template to redrill the holes! and wow! I can see again!!! hope this helps welcome to the site,Lazz

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I"v had no windshield on 2 bikes and a sportshield on the 3rd. The Wing is my 4th and I look thru the windshield. I liked it... now I prefer it

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Put on a tall shield for a road trip, liked it so much I left it on maybe it's my age but I don't like bugs bouncing off my face.
Hi RAM 54, I as a rule never had a problem with the bugs. The wind flow always seems to take them to the top of my helmet. I also always wear eye protection.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you ever ride with a passenger, make sure to include your passenger in test rides of various window heights as the cold air they feel and the buffeting they experience will increase/decrease dependant upon the height of the windshield.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'd have to be 8 foot tall to look over mine. At 6 foot and on a corbin I look out of the top third. Rain's never been an issue I clean with plexus and treat with rain x so I have a clear view.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for input folks.

Jazz - why would you trim the bottom instead of a simple cut to the top?

FWIW on my FZ6 the wind buffeting was quite bad and there was a great discussion about aftermarket taller shields and what not. Then one guy came on claiming the fix was to shorten the shield. I cut 3" off the top and it made a huge difference. The bike is much quieter to ride. I think it nows dumps a lot of turbulence into my chest instead of my face.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Experience

Rode to Daytona BikeWeek leading six other bikes (2010)
38 degrees and a pouring wall of water the last 50 miles
Wearing a full helmet with face shield and have the windshield
lowered to where I could see over it without stretching my neck too much.

With the full face shield down and looking over the windshield...I could
continue to drive.
If I lowered my head down and tried to see thru the windshield
it was raining so hard it was like being in a car ... would have had to stop
and wait in rain roadside instead of driving on through downpour.

If you adjust windshield to be just below you eyelevel...then you get to choose
whether to look over or thru...If you have one of those that you cannot see over
then you get no choice but to have to stop and wait for rain to subside...

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
With the full face shield down and looking over the windshield...I could
continue to drive.
If I lowered my head down and tried to see thru the windshield
it was raining so hard it was like being in a car ... would have had to stop
and wait in rain roadside instead of driving on through downpour.

If you adjust windshield to be just below you eyelevel...then you get to choose
whether to look over or thru...If you have one of those that you cannot see over
then you get no choice but to have to stop and wait for rain to subside...
This is my exact experience that I have and do myself.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Just from another viewpoint, I have the Xtall Slipstreamer, look through it all the time. I clean/treat the windshield with Plexsus, have ridden in heavy rain as well & can always see (just like having RainX). The only annoying part is the water drips off the top edge & falls on the stereo so I have to keep the rain cover on the radio & can't adjust the volume.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts