Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I'm wanting to try a different windshield on my 08 gl1800.I still have the stock shield on and look over the top fine but in looking for less wind noise .any suggestions?I wear a full face arai and have a lot of noise. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

F-4 windshield, another member has one for sale, try the classified section.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you wear ear plugs when riding? If not I would suggest you do. For me it changed highway riding from an endurance test to pleasant.

Brian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes,I wear ear plugs on long rides,I just thought a different shield might be quieter.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I wear ear plugs on longer trips,I thought maybe a different shield might be better.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I still use the stock windshield, but I think that most of the noise on most bikes comes from under the bike, and not the air around the windshield/fairing. Tire noise, engine noise, etc comes up from below, bounces off the pavement, and comes up around the triple tree/fork area. Not a lot you can do about it, but if you get on a really smooth road, and much of the noise goes away, that may confirm my theory. Are your tires worn and cupped some. If so they will make a lot of noise.

Many full face helmets let in a lot of noise from below, some newer ones have better sealing around and under the ears and under the chin.

Just for the heck of it, while riding safely, go without a helmet and see how the noise changes.

·
Banned
466 Posts
I wear PlugUp in-ear canal speakers, darn little noise. Not cheap!

I also have a +2 F4 shield and look through it, not over it, hand wings and wind wings including lowers. No idea if the wings impact noise but the Plugup speakers work really well. nothing sticks out of your ear from the helmet to rub on, I usually put them in at start of day and leave them all day unless I have to chat with someone.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the F4 +4 no vent. I tried it and believe it or not, it made the GW too windfree. I live in S-Cal and as it turns out just didn't need that kinda wind/weather protection. If I rode in cooler conditions, the F4 +4 would be perfect. It's sitting on a shelf in my garage if your interested.

M

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I had an Arai Vector from my ST1300 days. Noisiest lid I ever wore, even on the Wing, was terrible on the RC51. It's retired now, along with my noise issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies.it could be my arai vector helmet,but I'm going to look into ear speakers. John

·
Registered
85 Posts
I put an F4 Plus 2 on. That helped me a fair bit as I sat higher than the stock shield. You might also look into tunnel blocks. There is a fair bit of noise and wind comes right up the handle bar tunnels. Try just putting your hand in front of the tunneel and see if that helps. When it gets cold I put them in but when it's hot I like the air movment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.