Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Wing owner. Trying to adjust the windshield to the best height. I am 6'2 tall. At the highest height, the top of the windshield is right in my line of sight. I have to stretch over or duck under. Went down one notch and had alot of helmet buffeting. Went down two notches and seems better but no coverage for face. Has anyone tried any of the taller windshields for the Wing?

My last bike was a HD Electra Glide Classic. I had a similar problem and bought a taller windshield but never felt quite right.

·
Premium Member
23,768 Posts
Seems this world was designed for 6 ft. vertical and then 6 ft. horizontal. One of the greatest aspects of the Victory Vision I was intent on getting was the electric winshield. I'm an open face/ sunglasses rider and the windshield is a constant boon and bane of the ride. The " Tulsa " winshield fits the problem for most tall riders and especially the passenger. I have yet to ride my " baggage " on a good tour, but if she complaines about the buffetting I might have to suck it up and start " looking through " a windshield.

·
Registered
515 Posts
As with most everything on the wing, it's what suites your personal prefernce. I believe the "experts" say you should look over the top of your windshield rather than through it. Personally, thats the way I like it, even if I was to replace my stock shield, I'd replace it with one stock height. I'm 6'2" myself, I've ridden with a taller shield, what annoyed me was hitting my helmet on the top edge of it when mounting or dismounting the bike.

·
Super Moderator
28,439 Posts
I love the Xtall Windshield as well.

" I'm looking through you, You're not the same":rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with Whacker, I have the stock wind shield and I set it low and look over the top rather than through it. And, thats the way I like it too. Seen a lot of guys with the "Tulsa bump", i.e., hitting the helmet on the top edge mounting, dismounting and braking! Seems to me a lot of guys try to block the wind too much. Its a bike after all, I just try to keep objects like bugs and rocks to a minimum. The Tulsa and F4 seem to be popular after market replacement wind shields.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have my windshield set so the top is below my line of sight.
When I installed the add-on windshield on my V-Star 1100 the instructions that came with it stated the proper way to install is with the top edge below line of sight. You don't have to fight fogging, or glare from headlights coming at you and can see the road ahead. To me that is more important than eliminating that little bit of wind going across the top of my helmet. :eek: And I have never had a complaint about wind buffeting from my passenger.:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't have a problem with it. I like the windshields to cut through the blast-oven heat around here in the summer time. And the cold when the air temp is down around freezing in the mornings. 31ºF at 6 am and 62ºF at 3:30 pm today.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I'm around the same hight and rode with a tulsa for about 3 years. The biggest problem is riding at lower speeds when its raining or misty. When you get up in speed it seems to clear the water off. I switched back to the original shield and like it better. For some reason I'm having troubles lowering it 100%. When it is raining I sit tall in the saddle and look over the shield which is what I like and always did with all my other bikes. When I am in Americade next June I will look at the F4.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
windshield setting

I have a stock windshield on a stock 04 wing. I am 5' 11" and set my shield 1 notch above bottom. I like to see over the top edge by 2 inches or so. I do move it up going through dust or farm land - I'd rather see bee splattered than catch in w my face. :eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried leaving the window down and all the way up. When the window is down, I think the bike handles better. Definitely the best way for around town. On the highway though your head really gets bounced around at high speed and it is noisy. I think I am going to have to spring for the tall windshield. It says it is only 2" taller.

Happy New Year everyone and safe riding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
height of stock goldwing windshield

I just got a Honda Goldwing trike, I need a new windshield. I have been trying to find out what is the stock height. I may go with the F4 +4. Would like to know just how tall that is, over the 20in. I have now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So there are a lot of different windshields out there and an opinion on every one of them which is great that we can have these discussions but I have yet to hear a general consensus on the best overall unit. I have a 1500 with the Tulsa unit and I'm fine with it but my wife gets the crap beat out of her. My old Ultra had a National with a flip at the top and she was extremely comfortable with that. You know the old adage "if mom ain't happy, no one is happy" well if she ain't happy the wing goes the way of the dodo bird.

·
Premium Member
5,507 Posts
Get a F4+4 and all your problems will go away.

A

·
0 Posts
Get a F4+4 and all your problems will go away.

I don't see that a F4+4 is available for the 1800s ??

this is the tallest one that I see and it is a +2

https://www.f4customs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_5&product_id=213

My major hiccup is the $405 price tag, without knowing IF it would be something I liked?

I currently am using a Tulsa Tall set at the bottom position.
For the most part, it works well for me.
Just wish it were "more stable" in the wind so the camera did not shake as much.

Also, a MAJOR problem that I have with trying to order windshields, is the total dearth of information as to "how high they are" when measured from the chrome trim strip on the front side of the screen.

Anyone willing to use a level laid across the top of the screen, and give me a measurement from the top of their F4 windshields down to the trim strip? Doing so, would eliminate the differences in the "lean angle"...

......the Tulsa Tall windshields have a pretty severe backwards lean angle... enough so, most folks bump their helmets getting on.
I don't, but I'm 5'11" and I use the rear step to get on the bike while it is on the Center Stand.... I almost never, ever, leave it on the side stand... makes mounting the bike too hard for me.

·
Premium Member
8,467 Posts
A Tulsa Tall came on my '95 GL1500. I'd guess that it is 8-10 years old, anyway, and still clear. I'm glad that I usually put my helmet on before I get on the bike, or my forehead would look like Frankenstein's monsters'. I normally park on the sidestand unless I'll be off the bike for 2 days or more. Always catching the dam thing in the face/forehead. I'm interested in a F4+4 or F4+2; I'd like to easily see over the top of the windscreen most of the time and to be able to get down behind it without stopping to adjust it up or remove my Gypsy Sit Upon seat pad. If I can't find the perfect balance I'll live with as good as possible. Also, consider a windscreen vent mandatory, especially when western and southern trips are on the agenda, though when it's really hot that vent is more like a focused blast furnace than a relief...:surprise:

That's when you stop to soak gear with water for evaporative cooling. Where I live and plan to travel it makes no sense to invest in proper cooling gear.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts