Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for reading. I have a 99 GL1500. I'm 5'8", my windscreen is at the lowest setting and is way above my line of sight, very difficult to see the road when there is sun glare, or oncoming headlights. Can anyone recommend a replacement screen?

·
Registered
54 Posts
F4 Customs makes a shield that's known for its clarity and durability, but you will pay for it. Another option is the Madstad. The Madstad is a two peace windshield that you look over the top of, so you've got a very clear view of the road. Because of the way they set, they actually reduce turbulence and buffeting rather well also. They don't show the 1500 on their website anymore, but if you give them a call, I believe they will still make one for you. Here's a picture of one on my 1800.

Black Beauty.jpg

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Ok I am not a fan of looking through the windshield so I have always had the stock screen set as low as it would go. Last year when I built my trike I decided to cut the screen down 1-1/2" thinking if I didn't like it I could just raise it to the normal height. However surprise to me I get almost zero buffeting and it's better than ever so in this case a real success.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I am not a fan of looking through the windshield so I have always had the stock screen set as low as it would go. Last year when I built my trike I decided to cut the screen down 1-1/2" thinking if I didn't like it I could just raise it to the normal height. However surprise to me I get almost zero buffeting and it's better than ever so in this case a real success.
Cool man. And thanks. I watched a couple videos about trimming it. I may even take a "crack" at it. But would likely end up going new. Definitely can not deal with looking though it.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I've cut quite a few of these plastic screens down and the trick is tape both sides, use a magic marker to draw the cut line and use a very fine and narrow scroll saw blade. before removing the tape sand the edge starting with 80 grit and work your way to 200 to get a nice smooth rounded edge. Go slow and don't allow the blade to bind or it will crack the shield.

·
Administrator
26,123 Posts
Or call Dayle at Fire Creek and get a Windbender. You won't be sorry, I'm sure not.

·
Administrator
26,123 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've cut quite a few of these plastic screens down and the trick is tape both sides, use a magic marker to draw the cut line and use a very fine and narrow scroll saw blade. before removing the tape sand the edge starting with 80 grit and work your way to 200 to get a nice smooth rounded edge. Go slow and don't allow the blade to bind or it will crack the shield.
I did the same thing to minuend work very well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts