Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two photos of the windshield/screen that fractured in heavy sheer wind per my Sturgis trip report. First is of the upper half and second is the right side, which took the brunt of the force since the wind came from 10-11 o'clock position.

Ever see this before? I haven't.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
do you have wind wings on the windshield

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
I have seen similar on plastics that have been out in the elements a long time.

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No AirWings, Doc. Bike was always garaged, so no significant solar damage. I'm sure it's original which IS 27 years old. Even so, I'm considering sending it to Honda for their museum!;)

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
is it a wrap around windshield? if it is its not a stock windshield and let me know if you are replacing it with another wrap around windshield. my wrap around windshield was missing some of the hardware

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Wow, never seen anything like that. Did have an add on windshield break off on a Kawasaki 500 years ago. That bike was scary and I got rid of it as soon as I could. I think I got a Honda 750 after that one.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Wow, that is strange. Now I have seen boat windshields that looked similar to that but it was because they were exposed to the elements a long time. It looks to me like you were close to eating a lot of plexiglass. I glanced through the gallery and I don't seem to see any with windshields that wrap up and over the mirrors like yours, so I am curious as to whether its a stock windshield or not. Either way, I'm glad you got home without incident but that needs to be replaced before you ride again. At least that is my opinion. But to answer your question, NO, I have not seen a bike windshield do that. Isaac

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doc, I guess it's a wraparound. You tell me based on the second photo. I'm not hung up on the new one being a wraparound, frankly, but that's what I'm looking to buy from that old horse trader, Cantankerous (Oh crap, the price just went up!:eek::D)

Oh, no, Iken! You rode a Mankiller Kawa 750 2-stroke, didn't you?! I tried one for about a mile each way, told my friend that it would surely kill him (and he told me to stop calling him Shirley! "Airplane":D) and he got rid of it within a couple of weeks. Absurd bike. Sneeze and you're dead.

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
Wow, never seen anything like that. Did have an add on windshield break off on a Kawasaki 500 years ago. That bike was scary and I got rid of it as soon as I could. I think I got a Honda 750 after that one.
Wow Ken, I didn't know they made them that long ago! :D

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
Doc, I guess it's a wraparound. You tell me based on the second photo. I'm not hung up on the new one being a wraparound, frankly, but that's what I'm looking to buy from that old horse trader, Cantankerous (Oh crap, the price just went up!:eek::D)

Oh, no, Iken! You rode a Mankiller Kawa 750 2-stroke, didn't you?! I tried one for about a mile each way, told my friend that it would surely kill him (and he told me to stop calling him Shirley! "Airplane":D) and he got rid of it within a couple of weeks. Absurd bike. Sneeze and you're dead.
does the windshield go over the mirror and connect to the fairing? its hard to tell from those pic's

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Yikes! :eek:

Mark

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does the windshield go over the mirror and connect to the fairing? its hard to tell from those pic's
Doc,

It does go over the base of the mirrors and rests on the fairing on each side, with an edge molding on the shield where they make contact. I checked my manual and now doubt that it is the original windscreen.

I believe that Cantankerous Kerry and I will do some business on a new-to-me shield in ABSOLUTELY PERFECT:D condition, along with a starter solenoid. He describes it as wraparound, but hopefully without the same over-the-mirror base extensions. They are a bit annoying when trying to see the mirrors; not really in the way, but kinda distracting. For now, off it comes. I ride with a full face helmet anyway (OK, it's a local ordinance specifically for me; why do you think I haven't posted my picture? "The man's a goblin!" "Seinfeld") so not a big deal to ride without a windshield for a little while.

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
its a wrap around windshield, not a stock one then and more likly made by slipstream. all wrap around shields that i've seen go over the mirror like that

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Whatever it is it's pretty strange that it happened.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts