Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the owners manual water is the only thing to be used to clean the windshield. But I have to be honest; it just isn’t getting it clean. Perhaps If I keep at it every day I could finely get all the smears off of it, but so far all I seem to be doing is moving them around and changing there pattern. I thought of adding a very small amount of mild detergent to the water but I know from experience that the soap acts like magnet to grime and air pollution. So…is there a product that is SAFE to use on our beloved Wing’s windshield that will clean them and get the crud off? Thanks.

Dane :)

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Dane, A lot of guys myself included use "Plexsus". About $8. a can. Stretches fairly far & you can use it on the tupperware as well. Removes bugs & debris quickly. What I do is spray it on let it sit a few minutes & wipe it off. It works great.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Dane. If you were looking for some home products to use mix a bit of " Woolite " and water. No Phosphate detergents please.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Plexis or Honda spray cleaner & polish, or you can mix a 1/4 peroxide with water and that will also work

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Ditto on what's been said thus far. I get bizzillions of bugs in this area, so I go a step further and do a presoak. I soak a clean shop rag in warm soapy water (mild detergent) and spread it out on the screen for about a half hour. This loosens the bug stains and makes the cleaning easier. I've heard of some guys using "bug-off" automotive washer fluid instead of soap and water, and they say it's great. Might try that one myself. Of course, then I have to wash the bike since there's drips getting all over the fairing and fender.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I picked up a 13 oz can of Plexus today. The stuff isn't cheep, $20 for the 13 oz can and $11 for the small can. :eek: I was told there was a considerable price increase recently. But on the other hand nether is a new windshield from accidentally using an ammonia based product on it. Besides...its a Gold Wing...it deserves the best! :cool: I'll check on the internet for a better price for the next can. Thanks again.

Dane :D

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
+2 for plexus or honda spray. I have used both and they work very well. Also help with beading rain water. Make sure you wipe with a microfiber towel to avoid scratches. Enjoy the view out your front windshield and ride safe..

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have used lemon Pledge on aircraft windsreens for years. I also used it on the windshield of the VTX. I have been using it on the Wing with the same great results, plus the bike smells lemony fresh!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll second the Lemon Pledge suggestion. This is my third bike to use nothing but Lemon Pledge on windshield, plastic, chrome and paint.

Keep a can in the bag, and on return from ride, I whip out the pledge, spray and wipe. The next time, the bugs come off easily and the bike shines.

Used to deliver new camping trailers, etc. Before leaving factory we would put a coat of lemon pledge on the front, and on delivery the same treatment cleaned it right up. I use it on the windshield of my SUV and the interior.

Walmart and Dollar General almost give it away.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Plexus is a very good product. However it will help with fogging. When you get caught in a summer rain and the temps. drop it will cause fogging. I prefer novus.
http://www.novuspolish.com/

Lower cost and will help maintain your wind screen with a long life. It also has a anti fogging.

Plexus is good for the body parts and will not scratch but it will not help to remove scratches.

just a thought

dd

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use Meguiar's car wash soap on the whole bike.Just water and a terry washcloth on the sheild for a sheild only cleaning.I carry a wet one with me in a zip bag,comes in real handy.Then the sheild gets Slipstreamer. Leaves it super slick,great anti fog too. Then the next touch up is real easy with the wet cloth. A little goes a long way. Got a 7oz. can from Wingstuff about a year ago for $7.50.Like Fossil i got it with some other stuff,so little or no shipping. Also,the Mr.Clean thingie works great for a no spot rinse.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
The Pledge trick also is great for spider-web scratches and scuffs. Had a no-work clean happen this morning; riding to work in freezing fog (temperature just hovering around freezing), the whole front end of the bike got coated in a combination of clear and rhime ice. The ride was kind of like flying IFR in the clag and freezing conditions except no boots or hot plates to clear the ice. Parked in front of the office and as the sun warmed things up, it took off most of the bugs with the melted ice. Not even many streaks or spots.

·
Registered
30 Posts
According to the owners manual water is the only thing to be used to clean the windshield. But I have to be honest; it just isn’t getting it clean. Perhaps If I keep at it every day I could finely get all the smears off of it, but so far all I seem to be doing is moving them around and changing there pattern. I thought of adding a very small amount of mild detergent to the water but I know from experience that the soap acts like magnet to grime and air pollution. So…is there a product that is SAFE to use on our beloved Wing’s windshield that will clean them and get the crud off? Thanks.

Dane :)
Dane,
I have used Honda Cleaner/Polish on my windshield for 3+ years and it works great.
I use it to clean the whole bike!
Use a microfilber cloth...spray the cleaner/polish and wipe off.
turn the cloth over and buff to for a clean shine.
It remove the bugs and stuff really good.
I keep a can and cloth in the trunk and my friends ask to use it every morning before we leave the motel. Even the Harley riders!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just tried Sumner Labs 210® Plastic Cleaner/Polish and 210 PLUS® Plastic Scratch Remover Cleaner/Polish. Got excellendt results. Minor scratches gone and cleaner/polish works great. look it up on the web.

·
Registered
35 Posts
you guys can spend a lot of money on the special items but nothing works better than the pledge. You will ride a little more unconfortable because of the extra bulk in your wallet. Ride safe.
Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
windshield cleaning

I have found a product called TW SPARKLES a Mulehaed Brand made by TW Pelton Company sells for around $9.00 for 32 oz. They also make a product called nomobugs. It gets the bugs off. there # is 870-535-1871. I clean my windshield on a regular basis with this and it works Great! It has a mild cherry smell.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts