Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently look through my windshield. Should it be just below eye level, so that I am looking over the top? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Yes. Looking through the windshield is never a good idea, particularly in the rain, sleet and snow.
Cheers,
Zaphod

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Been riding behind a tall windshield since 1994. Currently have a F4+4 on my 93 and really like it.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Yes. Looking through the windshield is never a good idea, particularly in the rain, sleet and snow.
Cheers,
Zaphod
??????:arghh:
I prefer to look over as well, just what I'm used to. Biggest trouble is some w/s will distort when you look through them, but if they're optically clean that's fine.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Windshields in the mist

The reason I was given - and take it for what it's worth, but it made sense to me at the time - is that in the event of a collision you don't want shards of plastic at or above eye level.
Distortion aside: some earlier extruded plastic windshields are indeed horrible, most will deflect the air about 4 inches over your head, so looking through the plastic is moot. Even in the worst weather (when we all like to go out and ride) I'll crouch down and pop up if the rain gets too bad on my face but I rarely get stuff in my eyes at my height (I'm only 6'1").

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I wouldn't think shards of plastic from the windshield would be very likely since your so close and in a collision the mechanics of the impact would not support the theory.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Impact Mechanics

Sorry I'm no Physicist. I thought if the bike stopped suddenly, the body on it would continue its forward motion, for a while at least, and anything in its way would try to become one with that body. Ergo windshield in front of face equals face full of windshield.
Now I am sure it is possible to provoke a standing body to rise; i.e. arc over the windshield, however, I would have thought the distance between the face (what? 6-9 inches?) would preclude that from being a factor in a head-on, or a catastrophic front end failure.
Here in France, where we have over a half a million scooters on the road in the city every day, I regularly see riders with broken windshields: particularly those which rise well above the head.
Anyway, I ride mostly naked bikes: my Triumph Trophy 1200 does have a faring and windshield and was delivered with an extra high, eye level unit. It was un-drive-able in cross winds and I bashed my head upon heavy braking a number of times, so I bought the standard cut down model and it works fine. But then that's just me.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I'm no physicist either, but my experience as an emt years back leads me to my beliefs. #1 the windshield will break but it isn't glass, so it shouldn't act as the old type auto shields before plastic and I have never seen a bike shield that didn't break in large pieces. #2. I have never seen a bike shield shatter from face or head impact, it will break from body momentum, but doesn't shatter. I'm speaking on my experience, that doesn't mean freak things can't happen, but I've never seen this to be the case.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
i always look trough my windshield

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
I also look through mine.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Of shattering and breaking

Well, like I said, it's just my opinion. I know if you score and break a Plexiglass clipboard you have two handy knives, and I've been cut by the edge of a broken piece of Lexan or other Polycarbonate. I can't imagine a windshield resisting the impact of a face, followed closely by a body, but even if it does and doesn't shatter, it can't do any good. I'm not an expert, I've just followed what I was told a long time ago.
Maybe I'm wrong, I didn't intend to start a polemic on the subject.
I'll still continue to look over mine.
Cheers,
Zaphod

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Quack, obviously, as shown by the responses, it is purely and simply a personal choice. As Budoka pointed out out, distortion can be a problem with some shields be cause of the curve of the shield or if the shield is scratched and worn.

But if there weren't so many riders who preferred looking thru, myself included, there wouldn't be so many manufactures selling them.

I'm surprised some moron in congress hasn't tried to legislate it. Remember a few years ago when a bill was introduced to require seatbelts on motorcycles?

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
This like the Car tire / Oil, things, to each his own. What ever floats your boat and makes you happy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
On my Shadow I looked through it, on the wing I have the Windbender with the lip. So I have to have it low or high enough not to see through the lip. Most of the time I lower it and look over. I always have some type of eye protection on either way.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Just to get my vote counted..because I deserve a vote.....:DramaLlama:I look through the windshield

·
Super Moderator
12,268 Posts
I look right at the top edge of the shield, because it's a crappy aftermarket that won't adjust. :pissed:

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
It's your "Right" just do leave any dangling chads.:whack:
I've had a dangling modifier before:kat:......but dangling chads? Do those require surgery:Damn:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.