Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Added an oem vent that I had sitting around and bought my own actuator rather than the kit.

Cost about $120 if you want to tackle it on your own.

ordered this:

this:

and this:

I am almost certain the actuator is the exact same that would come in the kit. I wanted a big rocker switch that would work with gloves.

I mounted the actuator to the base screen with a 4mm bolt. I put a plastic spacer under the lower mounting point for the actuator to make it sit flush. Then a washer against the screen and a washer on the other side then a locknut. All hardware is stainless.

Under the actuator I used two layers of 3m double sided outdoor mounting tape. A little extra support.

I connected the top screen with another full threaded 4mm bolt. Bolt through the top screen with a washer under the bolt. On the other side of the screen another washer then a locknut tightened up against the screen to keep the bolt stiff.
This did require removing the screen rails to set the bolt into the top part of the actuator and then reattaching the screen after.

I ran the wires from the actuator over top of the base screen to the dpdt switch mounted to the shelf. I already had wires running from the shelf to the bike so I used the same path to go from the switch to connect to power under the left glove compartment.

Took the bike out today and ran through multiple cycles at speed and it was flawless.

I highly recommend the Windbender, the accessory shelf and for me the DIY electric option. Couldn't be happier.

With the short screen I am getting tons of air and just a little noise at highway speed. Tap the rocker and I can quiet it down depending on conditions.

The vent is a nice touch if you have one laying around but probably not worth buying otherwise.

Switch is currently under the shelf but I would like to move it here at some point and time. New to wings and I am not completely sure there is room behind there and the thought of cutting into that panel makes me a little queasy.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
I had issues with my kit, the wire harness was too light gauge and quite a bit shorter than was to my liking. Finally took it off. Might try your option though, did you plug in to an existing pig tail in the fairing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did tap into the accesory power in the left fairing pocket. Once I verify that there is room behind the pictured fairing panel and i move my switch i am going to run a seperate circiut for it.

After work last night i ran from Va.Beach to Pittsburgh. At least 3 hours of hard rain.

Everything is still working well and I am happy with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts