Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed my new Windbender HP-S windshield on my 95 GL 1500. Dayle Martin aka Quickdraw at Fireceek Accessories was a great help as I decided to call him rather than do an internet order. Originally it was to buy one of his factory seconds with a 50.00 savings(I inspected the windshield and a very small scratch was visible at the lower edge of the base screen). He also sold me on the option of the springloaded pins at 39.90 as he said it was easy to lose the clevis pins which come stock with the manual system. And yes, I purchased the manual adjustment system, not the electric option. He asked me my height and I told him 5'8" as he said that the HP-S (I assume S stands for short) at 14" vs the 17". Dayle also mounted the spring-loaded pins for me which they normally charge an extra fee of 37.50 for installation which he did not charge. I also ordered the Dark Smoke tint for the lower half and bronze tint for the upper.

The Windbender HP is designed to see over the top as the front top edge of the windshield has a curved lip and creates distortion if viewed thru the screen. If an individual wants to view thru the windscreen or needs a higher windshield for a much taller passenger to avert wind buffeting, the ST is the one to get.

Delivery was quick as it arrived within a week and installation was simple and straightforward. I found the tracks a little stiff in sliding the windshield to adjust however a little wax made it effortless. The spring-loaded pins appear to be stainless steel, look professional and work well. I can adjust the windscreen from a seated position on the bike.

I found the lowest position to be comfortable for me for in-town riding and the twisties where wind buffeting is less an issue. At 75 it felt breezy but no strong buffeting as this setting will probably be my stock setting expecially in the Texas heat where I like allot of ventilation. At 95mph there was considerable wind buffeting at the lowest setting as I suspect if one were crazy enough to ride consistently at that speed a different adjustment would be required. According to their specs there's a full 3" of adjustment with the tracks and another inch at the mounting tracks at the windscreen. They recommend using the windscreen at the lowest setting of the Honda adjustable levers adjacent to the mirrors however I raised mine up to the highest setting.

I've yet to use the Windbender with a passenger to get their take on wind buffeting for them. I did find that at the lower setting, though it was breezy it was a calmer air and less noisy than my stock windshield which I had cut down. I felt less backpressure with this windscreen and could probably do without earplugs which I normally wear for touring. And if any of you are wondering from the pics, that is a Bike Barn that I store my Wing in.

Lower setting front

Lower setting rear

Highest setting front

Highest setting rear

·
Banned
3,114 Posts
Great report on the Windbender.

I have been considering this upgrade ever since I rode with my (other forum) buddy to Texas and back. He has this system on his 1800. He also added the electric controls and it is just slick. Of course the price point excludes me... ha ha. I ride an Interstate by choice.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with it. The pictures were a great help, but I can't wait to see your installation in person.

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
DanB, I like the way you do your reports. You need the air when it's hot. Eric

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
Windbender / V-Stream. V-Stream / Windbender. I'm not ready for either one but you're making the choice more difficult.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Great report Dan. Look good too.. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Larry, Lee, Eric and Charlie. Rode a little in the rain today and water beads off visor. The more I ride the more I'm liking this windshield. BTW, it cost me 290.00 including shipping. Curious how Deb will like it as a passenger? Also Dayle told me they sell a rake kit for the 1800 that I think changes the angle of the windscreen as some reported buffeting problems.

·
Banned
3,114 Posts
Dan,

I have another windshield, so I am going to cut my original down and shape my spare one to run over the top of the existing. I am going to buy the hardware from Windbender and modify my installation so that it costs me $125.... for the hardware.

I am cheeeeep....

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dan,

I have another windshield, so I am going to cut my original down and shape my spare one to run over the top of the existing. I am going to buy the hardware from Windbender and modify my installation so that it costs me $125.... for the hardware.

I am cheeeeep....
Gosh Larry, you're almost halfway there on buying a new one and you won't have the curved lip that makes this one move the air up higher over the helmet. Tell you what, I'll throw 5 bucks in the pot to help you get a new one. Anyone else wanna throw a buck in the pot?

·
Banned
3,114 Posts
Gosh Larry, you're almost halfway there on buying a new one and you won't have the curved lip that makes this one move the air up higher over the helmet. Tell you what, I'll throw 5 bucks in the pot to help you get a new one. Anyone else wanna throw a buck in the pot?
Well then, I would have to say that my net worth just went up $5.00 if I do make that decision. I am gonna try it this way and if it doesn't work out, I will be back on the phone with WindBender for more support. I will have to take a rain check on the $5.00!

·
Banned
3,114 Posts
I am finally ordering this system. My plan is to order just the top shield and the rails. I will cut down the factory stock shield as the base shield.

This is kind of a going away to college gift to myself....even though I will walk to school as I live two blocks away.

:)

·
Super Moderator
11,952 Posts
Hey Larry,

I threw a buck in the pot, but it got flushed away! :eek:

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
Good report Dan. You have the exact same sytem as I put on mine last spring. I didn't do as good a job on the review though. I put it to a real good test run out to the BC interior and back. Went through rain, fog, high and low temps and a real deluge coming home. The sytem performed flawlessly. Wife says it's better than the stock shield from her seat, but not how much better:confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts