Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Larry, I've got one, just haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I'm trying to get at it for the Salmon Arm run to test it out, but times slipping by and I'm not sure I can fit it in. I have the electric adjuster too, but Dayle said not to install it before using the shield to see if I have everything set the most ideal way. I'll post what I find when I do get it done.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am interested in following your success in using this system. Let me know how it works out.
Ditto to what LarryinSeattle said--I'm very interested to hear about your results with the Windbender setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got one installed on my '03 Wing.

It was on the bike when I bought it. When I first took a look at it, I thought "what is that?"

But after I sent for a ride, I loved it. The windshield was set at the perfect height. I like it when I can look just over the top of the windshield.

In the summer, if you want more air blowing across you; set the windshield lower. If it's colder and you don't want that cold blast of air hitting you...adjust it higher.

I have the manual adjustment set up on my Windbender. I won't buy the electric set up for it. I don't see a need to. I can pull 2 pins and move it up or down if I need to.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was on the bike when I bought it. When I first took a look at it, I thought "what is that?"

I have the manual adjustment set up on my Windbender. I won't buy the electric set up for it. I don't see a need to. I can pull 2 pins and move it up or down if I need to.
That is what I thought when I first saw this setup.... "What the h*** is that! Then I took another look without "Contempt prior to investigation," and I thought it might be useful to me.

I am gonna set mine up with the manual also. The push button electric would be nice to show off.... but I ride an Interstate, so in keeping with the style of my bike, it should be manual. Just keep things useful and fast. Very very fast.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Put my Windbender on last night, install was easy and straight forward. Finished product look pretty good too, but it's real different from the stocker. Not too big on the pins for the manual adjustment, but they work so I'll see. Biggest bummer right now is the swivel bracket on my right hand mirror broke* when I moved the darn thing to re-install the garnish bolts:eek: Hopefully my replacement gets here quick enough for this weekend's run to Salmon Arm. Fingers crossed big time.
*Strange thing is when the bracket broke I never swore (totally unlike me;)) all I said was an anguished "noooo". The mirror moved freely during the removal of the garnish so either the bracket (it's just plastic) was cracked or I moved it the wrong way a bit. Words to the wise, if you are moving your mirrors, be extra careful!!! I didn't force the thing, it just snapped off in my hands.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How low can you adjust the screen? (down to your chin level or lower?) Then how high can you take it up?

Did you cut the stock windshield yourself?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
It goes real low, almost like a Harley Streetglide. With the combination of the adjustments built into the bikes w/s system and the 5 or 6 pin placements there is a huge amount of adjustability for height, I'm guessing 10" or so. I never cut the stock windshield at all.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Well, the new mirror is on and I'm good to go for the run out to Salmon Arm. Leaving here in a couple hours and stopping in Red Deer for the night. Pop into Turple Bros tomorrow morning and view the new 2012 (it's not a demo durnit) up close and chat up Glenn for a few minutes then out into the rocks to wear down the chicken strips a bit:D Hpe to meet up with some members at the rally (I know Ron is going to be there) and hpefuly some of our BC forum members will show up. Hopefully the weather co-operates and i can get lots of pics to post and I'll give everyone the low down on the Windbender. Seems fine so far but time and distance tells all. See yis Tuesday.:D

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Hey Budoka,

Glad you took the plundge. I am pretty interested in this too and trust your judgement. Keep us up to date.

FYI, I bet someone popped your mirror in a parking lot and going the other way with it in your hand finished it off. Just as well to happen then than at 120 kilometers taking aim at the side of the bike as it came off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Budoka--have a great trip and enjoy! Look forward to a report on that Windbender. :)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Well, the Windbender is a very good windshield in my opinion. I was 'fortunate' enough to experience just about every kind of weather from scorching hot to friggin cold and very wet. The adjustablility of the two piece screen is absolutely fantastic. You can have almost total wind protection or complete wind in your face versatility. The buffeting with the stock screen was never a problem for me, but it was for my wife on back. Sadly she didn't accompany me on this run to test out the effect of buffeting in the back and in crosswinds. It seemed that there was almost no buffeting at the driver's position..
In the rain the screen was very effective in providing a good look-over view and in a downpour on Sunday I remained pretty much dry without wearing any raingear. On Monday, I did wear my rainsuit, and after four hours in an absolute deluge, kept reasonably dry except for my gloves and the water that collected around my collar off the helmet. When I say it rained, I mean a solid four hour flood, practically had the bike hydroplaning at times. through all this, I had good forward visibility, and had the screen set so I could look just over the top (about nose level).
In the heat in the interior of BC, I dropped the bottom and top half all the way down not unlike the height of a Streetglide HD and enjoyed a nice fresh flow of air into my face, but again, just fresh breeze, no buffeting.
I have the bottom section set on the third notch with the stock ratchet adjuster and then raise or lower ther top section for current conditions. I will likely leave it that way and install the power adjuster from there. I did see a BC rider with one on his Wing complete with the power lift but didn't get a chance to speak to him personally, but his friends said he really liked it. He had the tall upper section, I have the shorter version. I didn't care for the look of the power adjuster and I'm going to see if I can get one of the black plastic pieces from the screen kit to cover it to look the same as the shield halves. Overall, I'm quite pleased, and the loks get varied comments from "yeesh that's ugly" to "wow, cool windshield". I have the dark smoke lower portion, and the lite smoked upper, matches the colour of my bike quite well. I'll post some pics today if I get time.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the Windbender is a very good windshield in my opinion. I was 'fortunate' enough to experience just about every kind of weather from scorching hot to friggin cold and very wet. The adjustablility of the two piece screen is absolutely fantastic. You can have almost total wind protection or complete wind in your face versatility. The buffeting with the stock screen was never a problem for me, but it was for my wife on back. Sadly she didn't accompany me on this run to test out the effect of buffeting in the back and in crosswinds. It seemed that there was almost no buffeting at the driver's position..
In the rain the screen was very effective in providing a good look-over view and in a downpour on Sunday I remained pretty much dry without wearing any raingear. On Monday, I did wear my rainsuit, and after four hours in an absolute deluge, kept reasonably dry except for my gloves and the water that collected around my collar off the helmet. When I say it rained, I mean a solid four hour flood, practically had the bike hydroplaning at times. through all this, I had good forward visibility, and had the screen set so I could look just over the top (about nose level).
In the heat in the interior of BC, I dropped the bottom and top half all the way down not unlike the height of a Streetglide HD and enjoyed a nice fresh flow of air into my face, but again, just fresh breeze, no buffeting.
I have the bottom section set on the third notch with the stock ratchet adjuster and then raise or lower ther top section for current conditions. I will likely leave it that way and install the power adjuster from there. I did see a BC rider with one on his Wing complete with the power lift but didn't get a chance to speak to him personally, but his friends said he really liked it. He had the tall upper section, I have the shorter version. I didn't care for the look of the power adjuster and I'm going to see if I can get one of the black plastic pieces from the screen kit to cover it to look the same as the shield halves. Overall, I'm quite pleased, and the loks get varied comments from "yeesh that's ugly" to "wow, cool windshield". I have the dark smoke lower portion, and the lite smoked upper, matches the colour of my bike quite well. I'll post some pics today if I get time.
Thanks for the review. I am anxious to see your pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Well ok, Budoka.

Here's another $300 bucks because of you. I need to do a cost benefit analysis in regards to this forum.

I do more of the work myself-I save money.
You find a new, pretty toy and the saved money is gone.

Maybe there's a song in this somewhere. I will steal one from Johnny Cash
and call Forum Prison Blues.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Ok, I get your drift L2R, but GW's just seem to have a penchant for thinning out one's wallet:D. Anyhoo here's some pics of the screen:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Budoka,

that really goes well with your bike color. It looks factory and while it is different, it gives it a little Bada$$ look to it.

No idea how it would look on mine but it is now on my short list. Might have to push back the torque monster/pipe mod for a bit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks, Budoka, for the review and pics--it seems everyone who gets the Windbender is really pleased. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with the look of it--it's just not the "classic" look we're used to seeing on the Wing. I think it adds a little "street bike" toughness to it. :)

I'm going to order the HP-S shortly--I'm convinced it's worth the money. How difficult was the install?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The install was pretty simple Kid61. You do have to take off the front garnish so be careful not to drop anything inside the mirror mount location (grommets, screws etc) as it will be next to impossible to retrieve. then the lower portion of the screen mounts just like the stock screen does. Put everything back together and mount the second stage screen piece and she's a done deal. I'm thinking the electric adjust will be a tad trickier but we'll see.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts