Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 1800 wing the wind shield is stuck in the up position.
I have taken it to one of the local (Edmonton, AB) dealers and they took a look. The mechanic removed the front upper body work and with consultation with the senior mechanic came to the conclusion that there is a part missing. Something to do with the ratchet that controls the up and down movement. They buttoned everything back up and I put the shield at the height that I want it. Now they didnt charge me for this work, nice of them. They said that the part would cost $180.00 and with 2 hours labor @$110/hr they could fix it.
Question: does this sound right for the cost of the part? I know labor cost will vary.
Any help/ideas would be appreciated.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
What year is your bike? Has it always worked before?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...=Motorcycles&make=HONDA&year=2009&fveh=124381
If I am correct(BIG IF!) Part 31 in the above link is the part that usually comes up missing.
It's a little cheaper than $181.00. Can't find a part near that price that would cause your problem????
I also thought, if the item I referenced had in deed fell out, the shield would not stay in the up position???
Anyway, try one thing, just to satisfy my curiosity! Loosen the shield locks, grasp the shield on top, vigorously shake it for/aft as you left up and then push down. See if it frees itself. Shields can become stuck in the extreme up position and must be "shook loose" to unlock them.
Let us know.
Also, out of curiosity, ask that dealer for the name of the $180 part he is claiming you need.

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
Bear, all I need is the part # and I can check if they're being honest or not (which they probably are, Honda OEM parts can be downright hideous prices up here). You can purchase the part and do the install yourself with a minimal amount of heartache, I installed my own Windbender w/s and the replacement part should be no big difference in procedure as a w/s install. I'd recommend a service manual before hand though. PM me the part they suggested and we can go from there.
One thing on the ratchet mechanism though, the w/s needs to be locked perfectly in the topmost position before you can lower it at all. If it's not all the way up it won't move, but I'm sure whatever shop you took it to knows that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry have been away from a computer.
In answer to a question its a 2008 gl1800
The wind shield was removed by the mechanic and then repositioned so yes it is stuck in what ever position i put it in.
As to "the part" I am not sure but where the "slot" is in the center of the body which lines up with the "slot" in the center of the shield there seems to be a metal "rim"into which the center screw goes so I am assuming that something is missing inside

·
Premium Member
6,717 Posts
Just curious, but is the windshield the stock one? If it's not & it's an F4 + 4 leave it be. They are unadjustable anyway.

Mark

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
There have been times when mine also stuck in the up position. I just did some serious wiggling of the thiing with the locks loose. I read that you have to pick the shield up before you can lower it. Even if it is just part way up you have to loosen the locks and move the shield up a little bit before you can lower it. Lower it all the way to reset the mechanism and raise to the position you want and lock it

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
I've been throught the parts lookup and the only piece that is $180 is the upper cowl stay, and I doubt that's what your missing, the whole assembly would be loose without it. There must be several of the parts of the ratchet mechanism that need replacing to total that amount.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.Budoka thanks for the leg work.I am going to let another mechanic have a look when I take her in for the end of season oil change and see what he says.As to the suggestions of some of the other respondents, I have lifted waggled shimmied pulled pushed done the twist(not a nice image) the boogaloo and every other thing I can think of.....still stuck.....thinking of a roto tool to give me more visual clearence lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts