Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Wing. At 5"8", I maintain smooth operation and have full contact of boots on the ground when stopped. My problem is that I can not see over the wind screen even when set in the lowest position. Until April when riding through a Texas style "gully washer", I simply peered through the plastic and thought that is just the way it had to be. During that horrendous rain storm, however, I had absolutely no visibility but was able, luckily, to pull up under an overpass until the bad weather passed.

These last months I have diligently attempted to find a solution by perusing the three moto magazines I usually receive, asking my local Honda dealer, and various newsletters - but, to no avail and with no real help forthcoming. One rider I had run my predicament by crazily suggested that I take a hack saw and carve away the offending excess material, the thoughts of which send me into catatonic tremoring. Surely, there must be some aftermarket entrepreneur that has produced a smaller replacement. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
First welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. I'm 5'9" and have to look through the windscreen also. I keep a good coat of wax on the screen and it beads water very well. I prefer looking through the screen, because otherwise all that rain is going to be hitting my face, especially in a "gully washer".

Joe has given you some good advice.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm also about your height and I actually like the fact that my windshield is high enough to keep the pounding rain off of me. At highway speeds in the rain, I duck down, look through the windshield, and the water goes over and above me. It was much worse to sit up higher and take it in the face. I too think some type of water beading coating would help in your situation. I personally use Hondabrite, which contains a small amount of wax and works well for keeping my ride shiny. Its very convenient and easy to apply. I even use it for my helmet lens.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
I'm 5'4" tall and I use the stock height windshield on my 1500 and I perfer to look through it in a Florida gully washer.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome from Alberta Frank. It isn't hard to cut the windshields, but there is a nack to it. Proper teeth of the blade and speed of the blade as well. The lexan can be brittle and shatter if you don't take the proper precautions. There should be some info on the net as to cutting techniques and it's been in several magazines over the years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I could not imagine having to look through a windshield on a motorcycle unless you wear a shorty helmet with no visor, otherwise you can see much clearer looking over the windshield. :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Many ..if not most riding schools recommend the top of the windshield should fall between your upper lip and your nose; The rain at speed will not hit you directly..it will go up & over the shield (just like the wind) somewhat..
I have been in some fairly heavy rain, it can disorient you...personally I prefer to see comfortably over the shield.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have owned many motorcycles and this is the first that I have purposely choosen to look thru the shield. My thoughts were centered around attempting to create and envelope of calm for my wife in the back. Different thread
I actually dont mind, I do wax the shield and that helps in rain. Rain at night can be somewhat trying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts