Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. Posted this over at GWRRA but not much of a reply and I could use some more info from this august group.

------
I’m looking for ideas / your experience regarding wind noise and options for handling it. I’ve been riding for 28 years, but this is my first Goldwing. I love it in every other way but am disappointed in the wind noise. Lots of turbulence behind the fairing. Here’s where I’m at and what I’m thinking. I’d welcome any insights:

- pretty much stock 2010 GL1800 (for now)
- I’m 6’5” and my wife on the pillion is 5’2”. We ride w/ ear plugs.
- At highway speeds I get a lot of noise; her, not so much (isn't it usually the other way?). For me, it drowns out the headset audio that, at lower speeds, has got TONS of volume. Wind noise is MUCH louder than my old Harley with no windshield.
- I’ve tried all the different windshield height settings, and the vent open / closed. Not a huge difference that I’ve noticed.
- I’ve tried two different helmets, not much of a difference. Primary is a Nolan 103, alternate HJC SyMax II. A little more low freq noise in the SyMax but neither is OK. Both are very quiet if I stand up on the pegs and get my head into clean air.

I’m pretty much thinking there’s nowhere decisive to go but to a WindBender. Could tinker with Baker Hand Wings or such but I’m thinking that’s more icing than cake.

My questions:
1. Anything else I should seriously consider? I want to look over, not through the windshield. I ride in all weather except snow/ice on the road.
2. Any tall guys with similar experience? Does the WindBender HP work for you?
3. I know the electric adjust is pretty slick and gee-whiz, but part of me thinks it’s a lot of extra money for something I may tinker with if I have it but don’t really need. I know folks with it like it. Do those of you with just the manual adjust find you’re OK without those constant little adjustments you make with the electrical just because you can? For me, it’s not so much the cash as it is just that I’m not convinced of the economics / value of the elec adjust and how much I’d adjust if after I dial it in the first time and maybe play with it a bit when it’s new.

I’m not trying to build a bubble. Heck, it’s a bike, there’s supposed to be wind. But less noisy wind.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
You are asking a rather difficult question so I am not surprised you don't get many answers. It will be difficult for someone, even with the same problem, to know what feels or sounds right to you.

I am no wind tunnel expert but it sounds like the wind is being deflected and rolls just over the windshield and in your face. Think of it as collecting more air into a smaller area and unfortunately that is a rush of air in your face.

I would buy the cheapest, most worn out tall shield (that I could still see thru) and put on. I would then cut it about 2" at a time and try it out for a week or so and then keep cutting until it was at my elbows. This isn't a quick answer but no one else can decide what feels good to you but you.

I am one my 5th bike and this is the first one where I look thru the windshield. I too, refused the idea at first, I felt like I was driving a school bus with a tall tulsa windshield.

My better half is also my miles limiter so I learned to adjust so we can go on longer trips.
I did trade out the really tall shield for a standard and after adding baker wings under the side mirrors, everyone is happy. I have adjusted to looking thru the shield and no longer a big deal.

Good luck-

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've got the Baker air wings and they help alot in keeping the wind from coming up into my helmet and interfearing with the mic. My wife noticed a huge difference also.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've got a Windbender Big Bird, but I haven't got it on the bike yet. If you can hang in there for a bit, I'll be installing it over the next couple or three weeks and then testing it on the run out to Salmon Arm in May. I'll post my findings and some pics of it on the bike. I've got the power adjuster kit as well, but I'm not hooking that up until I'm satisfied with the main settings of the shield itself. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Big Bird....I have two words for you: Ear Plugs or is it one word...Earplugs? :)

But NOT the foam type, you need to get specific "Motorcycle or Musicians" earplugs.

check out these:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.html

I wear these on any long trip. They let through the full range of sound, but softer, and they also, for me, and many people, cut down a bunch on wind noise. I can hear my headsets and CB voices a lot clearer.

You will be slightly disoriented the first time because of the lack of sounds, but quickly you will get used to it, and be able to hear your bike, and everything around you including sirens/horns etc. I find I am much more rested after a long trip using the plugs than NOT using them.

They don't cost much, can be used many times and although they probably will hurt some after a short while, if you wear them a little each day/ride, your ears get used to them quickly and they won't hurt at all.

Seriously, try this before spending money on all sorts of other stuff. IF it works, not only will you save money, but you will save your hearing for the future!

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
I second the ear plug option as a first step. I wore a cheap set of foam plug out in Arizona riding without a helmet and even those, as annoying as they were, made a big difference in ride comfort. I'm buying a set of ETY•Plugs™ on line as we speak.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the tip DynoDon! Like Chopin, I ordered some!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
budoka, standing by. Hope it works and enjoy your ride.

dynodon, as I mentioned in the OP, I ride w/ ear plugs. The custom fit squirt injected kind, InstaMold. There are many out there, those are mine, I swear by them and echo your sentiment about plugs in general but those are oranges and I'm working on my apples.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
^ you first. ;)

Generally, it works as advertised. Solved all my woes. I insist on looking over not through my windshield, and I am doing so without any of the buffeting I was getting with the stock shield. If you ask a specific question, I'll try to address it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hope the WB works for you....Iam 6'3" and wife is 5'4" she says wing is worse bike for air......
I really dont care about me all that much but for her its been a disaster. To the point we are thinking of selling it.
How does the Wb work for the mrs?

I have a clearview1 +5 and all the Airwings...hate the way they look but they do help

·
Registered
223 Posts
as a side question...at 6'5" what seat are you using?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maiden voyage for the Mrs with the WB went well, but she wasn't complaining about the stock shield, that was me.

I haven't tinkered with my seat yet. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. I've only got 3,000 'Wing miles under my belt, but the two 500 mile days in there (WAS-BOS and return) have me thinking I might explore something seat-ish. I was also regretting that I forgot to put my Kury ISO Pegs back on for that trip; I had taken them off for a little low speed handling practice. Honestly, the regular pegs are pretty good for me relative to most bikes.

Besides the WB, the very important height-related mod I made is to install handlebar risers. I couldn't turn the bars without hitting the grips against my thighs, it was just not OK. $30 shims and a <30 minute installed at the same time as the WB and it's like a new bike for me.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have been wearing the ETy Plugs all this season thus far and I have my wife using them as well. They make such a difference in riding comfort - both of us think so much of them. I found them for $9 a pair on the 'net; a little pricey but worth every penny.

I have found the secret to getting the best use out of them is to fully insert them into the ear. Sometimes I tended to back them out a little as doing so seemed to "tweak" the sound somewhat. But like today, I was having trouble with a speaker who was speaking louder at some points in his talk and it was driving me crazy... I fully inserted the plug into my ear, and not only could I hear him better but it was more comfortable as well. I really enjoyed the ipod even on the interstate at over 70 mph... without a helmet.

·
Registered
232 Posts
...I haven't tinkered with my seat yet. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears...
Absolutely the only seat to have... IMO... the Ultimate Seat. You can find them here: http://www.ultimateseats.ca/honda.html

My wife rides any distance now and never, ever, complains or wants to get off... and I can tell you that was not always the case!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, my final report on wind stuff.

I love the windbender, the extra lift of the airflow up and over its top from its design solves the excess noise I was getting with the stock shield since my melon was in a turbulent zone no matter how high or low I had it.

No significant difference noted from CINCFAM. But at 6'5" and 5'2", I am her wind block to a large degree. She wasn't complaining earlier, only me.

Lakecharles, thanks for the suggestion on the seat. I'll let the Fed reassess recovery before I stimulate the economy again, but it's one to watch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts