Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the wind finally caught up with me today. I typically ride in all kinds of weather including high wind. Today it bit my bike.

We were having fairly high winds in the 40 mph range Friday when I headed to work - no big deal. I stopped for lunch, and parked the bike so the wind was pushing it against the side stand and it was in 1st gear. Typical setup for me in wind. The mistake I made is that I was parked next to a building (north of me - wind out of the south - bike headed east). I didn't even think of the turbulence that the building would cause, but the wind hit the building and best I can figure rolled back out to push the bike off of the side stand. The bike sustained damage to the right mirror (scratches), highway peg rotated into the spark plug cover(?) with no damage, and a minor scratch to the rear crash bar (probably wrong terminology). Overall lucky on damage.

The reason for posting this is so someone doesn't make the same stupid mistake. Think about the structures and what it will do to the wind and then your bike. Yeah, some will say don't ride in it, but I have and always will.

Oh, this happened about the same time that a 58 mph wind was detected so my timing for lunch wasn't very good.

On the plus side, I found out that righting a downed Wing with the proper lifting technique is very easy considering the weight of the bike - I just don't want to have to do it again. Thank you youtube video for showing how to right a big bike.

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
I'm glad there wasn't any major damage. I also am thankful for the YouTube video, it has helped me twice.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I have picked up my Wing a thousand times in my mind, so far. Our good member " Wacker " was not so fortunate as he was on his bike when the wind blew it over.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
It annoys the crap out of me when I mark my bike, but latter I am not so bad about it because if you are going to use your bike, somewhere, somehow it's going to get marked. Eric

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Sometimes I think we take better care of our bikes than we do ourselves. Glad you were not hurt and the bike only has a few scratches. Ride.... and park... safe....

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I can identify with that Promethius. Had the wind blow my Wing over at the curbside across from my insurance office. You should have seen the look on my agent's face when she came in from a smoke break and had to tell my my bike was on it's side.:eek: Wasn't nearly as good as the look on my face when she told me though:(:mad::eek:. Glad you didn't suffer any worse than you did, I got away with only wounded pride.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Sometimes I think we take better care of our bikes than we do ourselves. Glad you were not hurt and the bike only has a few scratches. Ride.... and park... safe....
I remember when I was but a youngin 14/15 riding my dirt bike and when I crashed my thoughts were, "dad has insurance for me and I will heal. The motorcycle is going to cost me money, I will take the brunt of the accident." I can say now that I may have healed but I sure feel it now :eek:

How is Wacker doing? I have not seen an update. Hope all is well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts