Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished putting the wheel back on mounted with a Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS RFT. Chose the Bridgestone over the Michelin Alpin because of reviews of a more flexible sidewall. Supposed to be a run flat without the sidewall stiffness of a run flat. Mounted it with 32 psi but it looked way too soft when sitting on the sidestand so upped it to 38 psi. It's lunchtime and a bit chilly out so am going to let the temp rise a few degrees while I grab a bite then I'll take her for a ride. Any comments on the psi and the visible compression of the sidewall when on the sidestand would be welcome.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Myself I wouldn't be too concerned with sidewall flex. I prefer some flex and lower PSI translates to a cushier ride. I've always thought a lot of guys run their car tires too hard but opinions differ on that. I suppose some guys ride so fast through the curves that sidewall give is an issue but it isn't an issue for me.

Keep in mind the lower PSI you can get away with the more even the treadwear is apt to be. Higher PSI tends to wear out the center of the tire first unless you're riding hard in the curves a lot. Enjoy the tire! Now that I've got the new TPMS Readout from Murphs Kits I'm going back to a CT at 30-32 PSI before long.

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
I run 23 psi in my Alpin. On the side stand it almost looks like it has a flat. Must be about 6 in. of rubber touching the ground . It's the nature of the beast. Imagine when you're in a turn and all that rubber is gripping the road.:chopper:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I run 23 psi in my Alpin.
Man--that IS soft. No issues with it squirming in the curves? Being a RF I imagine the sidewall is stiff enough you don't need a lot of air. Sounds like you're getting pretty terrific wear at that pressure.

I think I'm going to go with another SP5000. I like the 195/60 size and the profile is nice and round--less lift as you roll to the side. I got 13k out of the first one running 38-40 PSI before the center wore out.

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
Man--that IS soft. No issues with it squirming in the curves? Being a RF I imagine the sidewall is stiff enough you don't need a lot of air. Sounds like you're getting pretty terrific wear at that pressure.

I think I'm going to go with another SP5000. I like the 195/60 size and the profile is nice and round--less lift as you roll to the side. I got 13k out of the first one running 38-40 PSI before the center wore out.
New to the Alpin. Probably have 100 miles on it. Let my KUMHO go at 13,000 and it was down to 5/32 wear ( about half way ). I starting out at 32 psi. because that's what I have been use to. It's a different tire and I may change or play with pressure as I get some miles on it. I tell you, even at 32 psi. it's a lot quicker tire to turn than the KUHMO. I don't mean that in a positive or negative way, just different. KUMHO was and still is my first love. I had full confidence and was comfortable with it in all maneuvers. Right now I'm on a blind date, so to speak.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
New to the Alpin. Probably have 100 miles on it. Let my KUMHO go at 13,000 and it was down to 5/32 wear ( about half way ). I starting out at 32 psi. because that's what I have been use to. It's a different tire and I may change or play with pressure as I get some miles on it. I tell you, even at 32 psi. it's a lot quicker tire to turn than the KUHMO. I don't mean that in a positive or negative way, just different. KUMHO was and still is my first love. I had full confidence and was comfortable with it in all maneuvers. Right now I'm on a blind date, so to speak.
So, even though the tire calls for 32psi, in a car application, it might be different on a bike? Doesn't this add up to abused tires/early wear, etc?

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
So, even though the tire calls for 32psi, in a car application, it might be different on a bike? Doesn't this add up to abused tires/early wear, etc?
The max, air pressure is near 50 psi. That would be abuse and maybe dangerous. The pressure range for most, if not all, darksiders is 28-40 psi. depending on their riding style and personal " feel " for the bike.. Some like it hot, some like it cold. Remember, a 32 psi. cold reading can increase to a 34 psi. reading on a nice warm day ride.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
I run at 32 and you know I'm at 17K and may be not even 1/2 way to the marks. Should get another 10K of a great tire.:Dance02:

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First 82 miles as a darksider... Too early for a thumbs up or thumbs down yet. Ride was a combination of suburban, rural and higway. Spent the first 50ish miles concentrating on what was different about the rear tire. Remaining miles I was able to let go and just ride. Here's what I noticed: Bike was different, like riding with a soft rear tire; road noise was less; turning required more steering input; on two occasions the tire reacted abrupted to a flaw in the road surface (more miles needed to figure out just what kind of flaws cause what kind of reactions); during tight, slow, slightly uphill turn into a parking lot the whole bike shifted causing me to instinctively drop my foot down in order to keep her upright. My sense was that the sidewall was compressed then released becoming part of the contact patch. This brief adrenaline rush had me wondering if I had made the right decision. It happened early in the ride and was the only time she felt anything but 'different'. More miles to go before I decide whether darksiding is for me. Will be testing different psi over the next few rides.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The more rubber you have on the road the more the tire will track imperfections in the road at very slow speed--it's a consequence of the tire.

What I learned is that once I ran the tire for a while I came to expect that and was conscious of my circumstances when I maneuvered slow. If you are compromised already in your ability to handle the bike at slow speeds (short legs, heavy passenger, etc.) then the car tire can cause you grief under 10-15 mph maneuvering. Once you're rolling it is awesome--but it will seek it's level and uneven pavement can be an issue.

·
Premium Member
24,520 Posts
Peabody, give it time and get to know your ride with the new tire on it.
One thing I must caution you on though: NEVER put your foot down to try and hold up a Wing in motion. All you'll succeed in doing is causing some serious damage to your leg, knee, ankle or all three. The bike is just too big to put that kind of stress on your appendage. Feet belong on the pegs/boards on big bikes. Unlike dirt riders and flat trackers and they are highly skilled at foot down skid riding (been there in my younger days) and have boots designed for support and protection under those circumstances.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Wondering why people would use winter tires for this? The rubber is made to work better in cold temps but dose not work as well as an all season at warmer temps like above 10 deg C

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
Wondering why people would use winter tires for this? The rubber is made to work better in cold temps but dose not work as well as an all season at warmer temps like above 10 deg C

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Here's a discussion on this topic. It doesn't provide " technical " answers, but then again, putting a car tire on your motorcycle defies technical understanding : http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?336600-Winter-compound-vs-summer-compound

·
Banned
463 Posts
I run my Kumho ZP at 32psi (cold) and it rises to as high as 50psi (according to the TPMS) on really hot days. Last year driving to Gerlach NV it hit 50psi and 160°F (ambient air temperature was 112°F as reported by the GL1800's Info button). Under "normal" circumstances it runs between 36 and 40psi but it does get warm in the desert southwest.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
http://www.wheels.ca/winter-tires-cant-take-heat-of-spring-and-summer/

I know my bike tire gets hot really hot. Once my tire warranty runs out I might switch to a CT. I think I would avoid winter tires mostly for breaking as they increase your stopping distance by quite a bit (and at the end that matters the last bit) the link is just one of many articles I’ve seen on the topic of winter in the summer. I’ve still got this season at least before I switch out anyway

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.