Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally moved into my House at the Beach, ok it is a 2 BR condo. It is 1 mile to work and I am concerned that the short trips might do harm by not fully warming up, by the time I get there the temp gauge is normal. I can take the long way home but most of my days start pretty early so won't be doing any site seeing on the way there.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm not sure about the 1800's..but my 1200's both have drain holes in the mufflers at the low point.
If yours have them..keep them open by poking a wire in there now n then. But even if you do that..that short of a distance will not allow the coolant or oil to reach proper operating temps..you will get condensation in the exhaust for sure, probably in the engine also.:eek:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ok Bob....heres the answer

set alarm 30 minutes earlier.....
get out and ride a little ride before work begins....

If you live in California....disregard the suggestion and take your car or walk,,,,,.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
park the wing and take the schwinn

·
Registered
365 Posts
I can't see any way the engine oil will be up to operating temps in one mile!:eek:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Unless you are going to take the long way home, I would say walk to work or like Doc said take the bicycle, it's healther for you.
Save the Wing, for a nice relaxing ride after work to unwind, or a long ride on the weekend.
Things would not be able to heat up properly to clear the condensation.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have read a lot of posts that say that continous short trips and trips with low rpm eventually drain the battery. You need to throw in a longer trip with 2.5 or 3K rpm to keep the battery charged. I know this applied to other bikes but not 100% sure about the wing.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I have thought about the bicycle, but not the best neighborhoods to ride through especially at 0 dark thirty on some days. I am running Amsoil, don't know if that would make a difference. I think for now I will take the long way home to get it good and warm.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I was reading on the net last night and the consensus was short trips will not hurt the bike. I think it's a lot of concern for nothing myself and as far as charging the battery a battery tender will fix that problem. I look at it like this, if you go out start the engine and let it run while you Donn your helmet and put on gloves and such the oil is already to go! Oil is moving within a few seconds and under load the engine heats faster, so ride the bike and don't worry about it. I wouldn't have a toy that I couldn't enjoy because of worrying about the little things. I suspect if this is a problem all of the owners manuals would plaster warnings from cover to cover and I am sure most all of the oldtimers would be aware of the problem! Technical thinking gets in the way of enjoyment. I don't believe you live in Antarctica, so your oil is lubing!

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I was reading on the net last night and the consensus was short trips will not hurt the bike. I think it's a lot of concern for nothing myself and as far as charging the battery a battery tender will fix that problem. I look at it like this, if you go out start the engine and let it run while you Donn your helmet and put on gloves and such the oil is already to go! Oil is moving within a few seconds and under load the engine heats faster, so ride the bike and don't worry about it. I wouldn't have a toy that I couldn't enjoy because of worrying about the little things. I suspect if this is a problem all of the owners manuals would plaster warnings from cover to cover and I am sure most all of the oldtimers would be aware of the problem! Technical thinking gets in the way of enjoyment. I don't believe you live in Antarctica, so your oil is lubing!
I agree 100%. If that were the case, the same would apply to our trucks and cars.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Santini that is what I had been doing, start it up come back in and get dressed and then leave. I wasn't real worried about it but just wanted other input. Took it out today for about 60 miles, a little cool but nice out today.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Wow ! Please show me some statistics from research that shows any substantial risk due to this evil moisture you speak of. I have worked on engines all my life and I have never seen this acidic corrosion that you speak of inside any engine.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I'd be more concerned about someone stealing the bike while it warmed up than I would be about any damage done on short trips.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd be more concerned about someone stealing the bike while it warmed up than I would be about any damage done on short trips.
Anywhere else I might be worried, but this is a gated community (not that something couldn't happen anyway) and it is parked 10' from my front door.

I would be nice to have a remote start so at least the bars would still be locked while warming up.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
It would be nice to be able to lock the transmission from going in gear while it's warming up huh? Like the remote start on my 2010 F150.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
It depends more on just how cold the engine is when you start it up in the morning, which is largely a function of where you live. If the temp drops into the 30's overnight, just let the thing warm up a bit more before you mount up and roll away. It's less than half a mile from my place to the highway, and when I ride in even on cool mornings my temp guage is near the normal range when I hit the highway entrance. It takes far longer for my tires to warm up than the engine does.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't have a S&W, I use a AMT 380. For now I will ride to work and take the long way home, it is great therapy to just take a short buzz around the beach.

Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.