Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Have hopefully a quick guestion that maybe someone can help me with. I have an 03 GL1800 with 35000 miles. I recently bought the bike with 30000 on it, and have only had this one for the past few months. I have also owned a new 04 and sold it due to not riding it enough.......... man what a mistake that was. Live an learn. I have also owned an 83 Aspencade years ago. To the question...... When I bought the bike it cornered like a dream. I am a fairly hard leaner and tend to scrap floorboards at times. The front tire is getting pretty worn down with maybe 20% left and the rear about 50%. It has Dunlop E3's. The front has no cupping with only V wear on it (normal wear). The rear has normal cupping on it, and I have no wobble in the bars at any speed. Lately I have noticed the bike wiggling in the corners. Everything seems tight and have checked the rear suspension and tire pressures (always on the latter). Any ideas what would be causing the wiggling? I am hoping that it is only needing fresh rubber.

Sorry for being so long winded............

Chris

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
I'm only on my first Goldwing Chris, but hanging around here long after my welcome was over I have read time and time again about the " frame recall " especially on the '03 model. Before we consider new tires as the corrective measure can you verify that the frame crack recall , if needed, has been done on your bike? http://www.ridersrally.com/sb/sb18.pdf

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had forgotten all about that recall. I remember all the press when I bought my 04 and when they thought some of those were gonna be recalled. I just looked at my Vin and it is right smack in the middle of the numbers that were recalled. I will go and see the local dealer this week. THANK YOU. Hopefully it has already been done. Would not be a happy camper without my bike while they fit it in their schedule. The weather is starting to get really nice here.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine Is an '
O3 and the framed cracked years after the recall.
I bought it used.
From what I have read on forums the front end will wiggle wabble as the front tires wears out.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Tire Pressure

Had my E3s replaced at Americade in Lake George, NY. Dulop dealer put 41lbs PSI in front tire. When questioned he replied, "throw the book away." My Wing does not wobble in the corners? Just a thought, good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zoon did Honda take care of the repairs? Mine does not just have a wiggle wabble in the front. It is like the front and rear are fighting each others track at times. Kinda hard to explain I guess. It is not really bad, or bad enough that I think it is a safety concern. I have always been very tuned to my bikes and notice the little things when they start. I run 38psi in the front and 41psi rear. And the small amount of cupping the rear tire is very minimal.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Zoon did Honda take care of the repairs? Mine does not just have a wiggle wabble in the front. It is like the front and rear are fighting each others track at times. Kinda hard to explain I guess. It is not really bad, or bad enough that I think it is a safety concern. I have always been very tuned to my bikes and notice the little things when they start. I run 38psi in the front and 41psi rear. And the small amount of cupping the rear tire is very minimal.
Some times cupping will cause the problem, usually the cupping magnifies it. The problem is the steering head bearings. They should be replaced with tapered bearings. The problem will go away. Some bikes wobble and some don't. I believe most of them do and most riders just accept it. I ride many many miles and I am aggressive at times, It is something I would not accept, honda wouldn't fix it so I did. Also I had my frame repaired by the Honda dealer under the recall and that did not cure the wobble. Taper bearings cured the wobble. You can waste time with tires, tire pressure, and reading all the posts on the wobble. But I assure you that tapered bearings is the cure. Again, most riders won't go thru the trouble and process of changing them. Good luck.:)
Good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nope Honda will not pay for the Crack repair no way not going to happen.
I did not call Honda myself, it's my dealer who told me not to waist my time. He showed me one of the bikes he had just repaired and told me of a few others that he did. He is a Honda dealer since for ever and he said he could not get any of them paid for.

When the recalls were being done years ago he then was being reimbursed but now years later they no longer cover it so he says.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nope Honda will not pay for the Crack repair no way not going to happen.
I did not call Honda myself, it's my dealer who told me not to waist my time. He showed me one of the bikes he had just repaired and told me of a few others that he did. He is a Honda dealer since for ever and he said he could not get any of them paid for.

When the recalls were being done years ago he then was being reimbursed but now years later they no longer cover it so he says.
I think this is a safety recall and it has no expiration . Call Honda yourself. If they give you the run around contact the NHTSA and file a complaint . Here is the link to recall . Your dealer is wrong . Honda has to make this right . http://www.safercar.gov/ P.S. find a new dealer this one is will not stand behind you .

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think this is a safety recall and it has no expiration . Call Honda yourself. If they give you the run around contact the NHTSA and file a complaint . Here is the link to recall . Your dealer is wrong . Honda has to make this right . http://www.safercar.gov/ P.S. find a new dealer this one is will not stand behind you .
you would think so eh!

I trust my dealer, and I trust what he says about Honda.

Go ahead and take the time to call them yourself. Honda is not going to pay to fix it.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Has arhutic even looked at the bike where the frame welds were an issue ? I saw a picture of the most common area in question that was posted by someone on some forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts