Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
The wife rides on the GoldWing 1800 (2009) very seldom, maybe three, four times a year. It should be more often, that's why I bought this monster, I have a BMW also, but we won't go there :confused:

Anyhow, I hear the same complaint from her after a ride (on the Thruway). When we travel on the 65 mph roads, I typically do 70 - 72 mph, which is with 90% of the normal traffic flow, a lot pass me by. I've never had a speeding ticket in over 40 years of riding.

But she complains that at 75, she gets buffeted back and forth. Probably I'm passing someone, or else she's a backseat driver who feels she has to watch the speedometer, and is misreading the actual speed,
She claims she has talked to other Goldwing women passengers, who say they get the same buffeting.

So I don't know if this is because she has never ridden a bike before, and expects a "car" type ride in the open air, or is there some truth to her complaint.
I suggested her helmet may be too loose, and may be giggling back and forth, but she says no, it's her whole upper body. Since I have always rode single until we bought the Wing, I wouldn't know.

Do your wives have this same complaint?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Hi all, this is Vanessa, Eric just told me about this thread and asked me to comment as he knows that buffeting is sometimes a problem for me. I understand that you may not get it as Eric rarely experiences it either as he is much closer to the screen. It has been so bad sometimes that it feels like a face slap that jerks my head to the one side constantly and leaves me with a sore neck after a few hours of riding. We have noticed the following contributes to the severity of the buffering 1. the severity of the wind and wind direction 2. the speed of the bike 3. we think it is design issue of the 'Wing as well where the wind comletely misses the driver and comes back and hits the pilion rider. (we are riding a 1200)
Last year we rode through central Australia and at times I was buffetted from both side which was like a continuous double face slap for hours. We have been on other rides where the buffetting was minimal. We went for a ride a couple of weeks ago where the buffering was really bad. Eric usually tries slowing down to about 60-65 mph which sometimes helps. You may live in an area where the winds are quite strong and that wont help but if possible ride on days where there is little wind and ride to somewhere so that the wind is coming from behind. We have worked out that the buffeting is worse when we ride into the wind or when the wind is side on.
I commend you for asking and trying to find a solution so your wife may be willing to ride with you some more. Could I be cheeky enough to suggest the following 1. ask her to let you know if the buffetting is at an uncomfortable level and stop more frequently for rest/coffee break 2. slow down a little (sure it take longer to get somewhere but it is more time spent together, right?) 3. offer her a neck and back massage when you get home. a little TLC goes along way ;) have a great day from Vanessa

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi,
The wife rides on the GoldWing 1800 (2009) very seldom, maybe three, four times a year. It should be more often, that's why I bought this monster, I have a BMW also, but we won't go there :confused:

Anyhow, I hear the same complaint from her after a ride (on the Thruway). When we travel on the 65 mph roads, I typically do 70 - 72 mph, which is with 90% of the normal traffic flow, a lot pass me by. I've never had a speeding ticket in over 40 years of riding.

But she complains that at 75, she gets buffeted back and forth. Probably I'm passing someone, or else she's a backseat driver who feels she has to watch the speedometer, and is misreading the actual speed,
She claims she has talked to other Goldwing women passengers, who say they get the same buffeting.

So I don't know if this is because she has never ridden a bike before, and expects a "car" type ride in the open air, or is there some truth to her complaint.
I suggested her helmet may be too loose, and may be giggling back and forth, but she says no, it's her whole upper body. Since I have always rode single until we bought the Wing, I wouldn't know.

Do your wives have this same complaint?

Thanks.
Just provided mine with a large paperback book, problem solved. ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
There are some things you can do to help with the wind issue. Baker Wings (a board sponsor) sells a complete set of Air Wings that can be moved around to help with wind buffeting. I've had them on my 09 and my 98 and they have worked well.

The other thing.... And I hate to say it because it may be taken the wrong way.... BUT it's a motorcycle... You should expect wind and excessive air movement. And the faster you go, the more wind you will encounter... JMHO

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
maybe an aftermarket windshield that is taller than the stock windshield would help

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
maybe an aftermarket windshield that is taller than the stock windshield would help
Might help the passenger until the first night you ride in the rain.... not good. Perhaps a windbender windshield system where you can significantly change the height of the shield.

Here is a video of the Windbender adjustable shield. The demonstrator talks about wind buffeting for the passenger. It might be a solution for you.

http://firecreekacc.com/firecreec.wmv

I don't have a Windbender. I wish I did.

She sits higher up than you do.

Mine used to try to read the speedometer all the time...and her head got moved around from the wind. As she tried to concentrate on the speed I was traveling, she noticed that she was getting pushed around by the wind. I told her to quit trying to read the speedo, to breath deep and relax. That really helped her get over this wind buffeting thing.

After awhile she just decided to quit riding with me. lol No kidding...it is not her cup of tea. She will go on an occasional ride, but hey, I don't go with her to her book sharing group either.

To be honest, according to her, she is not a convertible girl either.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's kinda ironic. In preparation for Alaska I bought an F4 +4 thinking that I needed more wind blocking for my pillion. After I installed it, my wife hated the lack of wind(?) She said it blocked too much and a little wing was ok. So, back on with the stock and off to Alaska we go next week. Never really had a buffeting issue.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
There are some things you can do to help with the wind issue. Baker Wings (a board sponsor) sells a complete set of Air Wings that can be moved around to help with wind buffeting. I've had them on my 09 and my 98 and they have worked well.

The other thing.... And I hate to say it because it may be taken the wrong way.... BUT it's a motorcycle... You should expect wind and excessive air movement. And the faster you go, the more wind you will encounter... JMHO
Firstly, I'm not taking it the wrong way but we could solve 50% of all issues with those words. (BUT it is a motorcycle)
1/ Heated gear: It will get cold. (It is a motorcycle)
2/ Carrying enough gear: (It is a motorcycle)
3/ Staying hydrated: (It is a motorcycle)
4/ Tyre wear: (It is a motorcycle)
5/ Gas range: (It is a motorcycle)
6/ Riding through sand:(It is a big motorcycle)
Or we can look at these things because, it is a motorcycle and ask others their experiences and how they improved the riding experiece. JMHO Eric

·
Registered
157 Posts
My wife has complained about the same issue, after so research I did a windshield swap to the v stream. This has made a huge difference for her in reducing the buffeting. I bought the standard V Stream, how ever i wish now that I had spend the extra money for the special thicker one. I tend to look over the ws most of the time, so I have the ws moved a touch lower than the stock. I also added the baker hand wings below the mirror, which has also helped a bunch. My wife is very happy with the reduced buffeting for her , and I have been very happy with the V Stream as well it was a great addition for us both.
Check this link out for the V Stream, also check the one for the baker wings as well- both products are true to form.

http://wingstuff.com/products/1051-gl1800-adjustable-hand-wings

I just watched this video again and happen to notice that the stock demo did not have baker wings on that bike but the V Stream demo does
anyone else see this too?

·
Registered
674 Posts
My wife has complained about the same issue, after so research I did a windshield swap to the v stream. This has made a huge difference for her in reducing the buffeting. I bought the standard V Stream, how ever i wish now that I had spend the extra money for the special thicker one. I tend to look over the ws most of the time, so I have the ws moved a touch lower than the stock. I also added the baker hand wings below the mirror, which has also helped a bunch. My wife is very happy with the reduced buffeting for her , and I have been very happy with the V Stream as well it was a great addition for us both.
Check this link out for the V Stream, also check the one for the baker wings as well- both products are true to form.

http://wingstuff.com/products/1051-gl1800-adjustable-hand-wings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u1MjWcwCLA

I just watched this video again and happen to notice that the stock demo did not have baker wings on that bike but the V Stream demo does
anyone else see this too?
Yes It seems that they are saying buy our windshield it works great Err after you add these other parts.

·
Administrator
29,019 Posts
Hardshell, several things come to mind.

Our 1st trip had a stock windshield, about 10 miles from the 1000 Islands. I looked in my mirror & the little lady was holding her head with both hands. I also looked down & we were tracking straight but the bike was on about a 20* angle (Severe Crosswinds much like Vanessa eluded to).

Bought a Slipstreamer Xtall w/Vent (that's important because as Migolito pointed out the wind was gone). With a vent you can open it & the air is directed where you need it. I also added Mirror wings & Side wings as Two Wheel suggested. My girl never complained again.

People are correct you will feel air it's a bike but you can manage & put the air where you want it with some good additions which will take away the ongoing ping pong match with her head.

As I said I put on a Slipstreamer+4 (relatively inexpensive) because that was the budget at the time. If I were to do it again I would probably go with either the F4 or the Vstream but I would make sure that you get a vent & if it's not available then get another brand. The last thing I should mention is that I don't have a problem looking through a windshield so the xtall works, some guys don't like it which I assume is why they rather the Windbender. I don't think I would care to look at the mechanism of the Windbender but I never sat on a bike with one installed either.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Yes It seems that they are saying buy our windshield it works great Err after you add these other parts.
Hmmmmmmm. If you break down the word " Advertizing " into its component parts you come up with " Ad " ( Latin: Toward ) and " Veritas " ( Latin: Truth ). In short, it's heading that way but not necessarily there.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
It rains too much here to have a windshield so high that you can't see over the top. My first windshield on this wing was such that I couldn't see over it without stretching my neck up. I tried to live with it until the first time I rode at night in the rain. In the winter time with the heavy cloud cover, it can get dark here at 4:00 pm.

I cut the windshield down after that experience.

I want to invest in the full meal automatic Windbender, but then I keep going back to this idea of an 1800.... and that means I spent money on the 1500 that I am not keeping... I am constantly on the fence with this.

I might just buy the manual one and say the hell with it.

·
Administrator
29,019 Posts
I never had any trouble with rain & a tall windshield after cleaning several times with Plexsus the water beads up & blows away. The only issue ever was water dripping off the top lip would fall right on the stereo so you had to remember to put the radio cover on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I put baker built wings on all my 1800s and MHO they are a must have item, very usefull at wind deflecting of heat or cool air to your desire, the wife has not complained on buffetting but she has never ridden without bbwings. also Kuryakin has a wind deflector that mounts behind passenger backrest that is supposed to help with buffetting, however I have not tried one and think they look funny on the bike.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
I have the Windbender HP-S adjustable windshield. The windshield is set to the lowest setting for me for solo riding in the Texas heat and higher settings when Deb is riding. Even at lowest setting I have little buffeting but increased ventilation. She says buffeting is minimal as she is comfortable. I bought the manual system. Daryl aka Budoka also has a Windbender and believe he is installing the electric motor drive option on his soon.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I have the Windbender HP-S adjustable windshield. The windshield is set to the lowest setting for me for solo riding in the Texas heat and higher settings when Deb is riding. Even at lowest setting I have little buffeting but increased ventilation. She says buffeting is minimal as she is comfortable. I bought the manual system. Daryl aka Budoka also has a Windbender and believe he is installing the electric motor drive option on his soon.
Dang it Dan,

You are costing me mucho dollars. First I had to become a paid member of this forum, then I had to buy a gym membership and now I have to buy this Windbender. I am going to order it RIGHT NOW. In other words, I am gonna rest the thought of moving to an 1800.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Dang it Dan,

You are costing me mucho dollars. First I had to become a paid member of this forum, then I had to buy a gym membership and now I have to buy this Windbender. I am going to order it RIGHT NOW. In other words, I am gonna rest the thought of moving to an 1800.
Yep, love spending other people's money aka OPM. Only problem for me Larry is you get all the benefit and I get all the blame. Something not right about that. :confused:

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I can't stress this enough, the Windbender WORKS. Even in crosswinds it's better than the stock shield. The windbender is not for looking through though, there is a 'spoiler section on the top that distorts vision and the manufacturer recommends that you set the shiled so that you can look over it to a specific distance in front of you. I can't argue that advice because it's true. I wish I could compare it to the V-stream but I can't as I'm not going to buy another just for that purpose. However, the V-stream was my second choice, I only went with the Windbender because of the electric adjust option. I'll report on that in the future, likely after the Kalispell run.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.