Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago I put a wider rear tire on my '95 Kawasaki Concours. The handling in the twisties was moderately affected but the slow speed handling was so greatly improved that I have stuck with it. That experience has me considering going to the Darkside on my '08 GL1800. One thing I haven't seen discussed during my research is using a wider m/c tire instead of a c/t. Perhaps it isn't possible. Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
This is a good comparison...Talk about rubbing issue
The Fatty is roughly $350 where a C/T is $150. Now that's an issue!!!

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts
Yeah but that Metz is so cool looking.:super:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might want to check the load rating on that tire if it's going on the GL.
The Avon AV72 Cobra
180/60R16 load rating: 74H (830 lb), Diam: 24.8, Depth 8.6, Width 7.2 200/60VR16 load rating: 79V (960 lb), Diam: 25.6, Depth 7.2, Width 7.7. Based on the diameter number it appears that the 200 would add .4" in height. Am I interpreting these numbers correctly? My 32" legs are challenged as it is.

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
Are you not interested or willing to use a car tire ? the Kuhmo 195/ 55/R16 Run Flat is a nice wider tire. It won't increase your leg reach. It's load rated about 1,200 lbs.

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you not interested or willing to use a car tire ? the Kuhmo 195/ 55/R16 Run Flat is a nice wider tire. It won't increase your leg reach. It's load rated about 1,200 lbs.
Been considering a Bridgestone Potenza RE960A/S Pole Position RFT. Supposed to have softer sidewalls than other run flats and I like the idea of a run flat. I like the look of the tread on this tire as well. I know it would provide the ride I am looking for but so far have not been unable to find anyone willing to mount it hence the inquiry into a wider m/c tire.

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
........ but so far have not been unable to find anyone willing to mount it hence the inquiry into a wider m/c tire.
I've heard and read that story from so many others. I take my rim and tire to a Goodyear shop and pay $10 to have it mounted. Of course they can't balance it, but I use beads anyway. It's just strange to me based on my experience in my area.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've heard and read that story from so many others. I take my rim and tire to a Goodyear shop and pay $10 to have it mounted. Of course they can't balance it, but I use beads anyway. It's just strange to me based on my experience in my area.
There's a Goodyear near work and I have a car due for an oil change so I'll give them a little business while making the inquiry.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Many years ago I put a wider rear tire on my '95 Kawasaki Concours. The handling in the twisties was moderately affected but the slow speed handling was so greatly improved that I have stuck with it. That experience has me considering going to the Darkside on my '08 GL1800. One thing I haven't seen discussed during my research is using a wider m/c tire instead of a c/t. Perhaps it isn't possible. Anyone know?
I have ran this inquiry a couple of times and the feedback seems to say that a 200 profile would rub inside the Wing's rear well. They try to get more maneuverability out of the Wing by putting them thin tires on...I think they should be wider. Tis probably one of the reasons why CT work so well.

CAVEAT: Back on my VTX days, folks were putting 200 rear tires that did not have the wall structure required for that heavy bike. I think they were Metz also.

NOTE: the Metz manufactured for the Goldwing is supposed to be imprinted on the sidewall with a G in a circle...so as to differentiate it from the other Metz that fit the Wing but were not created equal.

I would be very careful to put a 200 tire on a Wing that does not have the appropriate double/wall or whatever it is they do to make it Wing worthy.

One of the current cons of a 195/55 CT is that it runs the ODO faster than a stocker motto sneaker. Over the years, the ODO is gonna read more miles than the bike actually has. Unless you plan to burn it as a sacrifice to the Honda gods when you don't want it anymore, it don't seem good to pile up more miles on the ODO than it actually has.

I would like to see what a 205 CT feels like. And I wonder how higher would a 195/60 make the bike (if they have those on R/F). If I had the money, I would just test all these variances 'till I found one preferable.

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
There is a difference between miles per hour and miles traveled. The odometer and a speedometer are different measured systems. Hours of operation is a better way to record usage than an odometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24,510 Posts
Yeah but the mile counter clock still records more than actual, and buyers aren't interested in anything other than what the odo reads. While it's true that most of understand the speedo error on Wings, it's still a detriment come sell time.
No matter what tire anyone decides on, it's still very, very important to make sure it doesn't rub at anytime. Total vehicle weight, side loads and cornering forces deform a tire's shape while underway and that has to be take into account.

Reactions: Chopin

·
Registered
259 Posts
There is a difference between miles per hour and miles traveled. The odometer and a speedometer are different measured systems. Hours of operation is a better way to record usage than an odometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah but the mile counter clock still records more than actual, and buyers aren't interested in anything other than what the odo reads. While it's true that most of understand the speedo error on Wings, it's still a detriment come sell time.
No matter what tire anyone decides on, it's still very, very important to make sure it doesn't rub at anytime. Total vehicle weight, side loads and cornering forces deform a tire's shape while underway and that has to be take into account.

You might not understand this Budoka, Lee has an 'hours-of-operation- meter' gauge on his bike, which he will readily show the expected buyer along with the logic for it being a more accurate appraisal than the speedometer.

Whatsimatter with you Budoka, don't you understand leeshian logic?
:LaughHard::LaughHard::LaughHard:

·
Premium Member
24,510 Posts
I've tried and tried, and tried again. Just when I think I have it figured out he throws something at me in Russian or summat...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Avon doe's sell a tire size 200/60/16 it's a Cobra, they sell hear for $206.00 I think it should fit.

http://www.petes-superbike.com/20060r16-av72-cobra-rear-p-35265.html
Bridgestone makes a couple: the exedra Max and and the 852.
Metz also makes one.

This thread has over 3 thousand hits. I would suggest that implies there is a lot of interest in finding a wider tire for the Wing.

I like to hear from someone who tried it and it did or did not fit.

Does anyone have access to measurements inside the wheel well and tire a 200 actual width?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.