Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attended my "trike" group monthly dinner and meet last night. One of our members arrived in a somewhat agitated mood. He was upset because two of the last three group "runs" had been cancelled due to stormy weather or very hot days. Said he was seriously considering selling his trike as it just sat in his garage lately. Now this is a guy that loves 200-400 mile runs, just to find a new place to eat. However, it seems that these runs are the only time he enjoys the bike.

I am on my trike, probably 6 days a week, 7 if the weather is not terrible. However, when I mentioned our runs to Galveston, or other local places, his response was, "those are not runs'. I therefore did not mention the many morning or evening runs on the back county roads around me, for an hour or two at 35 mile an hour, as my relaxing and enjoying my bike. As you can see from my coverage map, I have done some of these long rides. I did not include the parts of Canada that I have also ridden in. But, to get to my point.

I ride for the love of the ride. I only use the car when necessary. Now, I am retired, so don't have to drive to work everyday, but even running to the grocery store, running over to see family or friends, my relaxing hour to hour and a half cruising the back roads and our little "trips" to Galveston and local areas. Each and every time I get on the bike, the thrill of the road is there. No matter how short the ride, or where it goes, it is the same freedom, wind blowing, thrill to me, just to be on the bike.

I see those who do the IB runs. 1000 mi in 24hours. 10,000 mi in 10 days, etc. I see those that ride to work everyday. I agree with all of them as to "their" goals and reasons for riding. I just got to wondering, "why do you ride?

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
An Ole Fossil's is simple.

Because I can.:D:cool:

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
I enjoy the riding,I'm not much of a peg dragger, do enjoy the twistys, but really like to enjoy the area I'm riding through, seeing what's to be seen.
Used to dream about riding a horse across the country, never got to do that but I've done it twice on the bike.:)

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
i ride because i enjoy riding and i'm thankful that i can still ride

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Man I can't get enough of riding , I ride everyday unless it's pouring when I leave , and when I do drive my car I feel out of place , I love it that much

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I enjoy the riding,I'm not much of a peg dragger, do enjoy the twistys, but really like to enjoy the area I'm riding through, seeing what's to be seen.
Used to dream about riding a horse across the country, never got to do that but I've done it twice on the bike.:)
You sound like me, as far as the peg dragging. I have admired your coverage map for some time. I was pretty proud of mine, but only two states missed? How did you get down there and miss those two?

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
I've had this disease since I was a kid. I thought I had outgrown it in the mid 90's but in Jun2006 it surfaced again. Every ride since then has been for therapy. I tell people I ride for fun and fellowship but I know its an addiction. I've adjusted and learn to live with it. Now I just keep feeding the fire. Every chance I can find. Even this forum seems to have become a sub-fever, a symptom of the dominating disease. Strange thing is, other than an occasional riding partner, I don't feel like I need any help with it. I'm handling it just fine, thank you very much. Starting to ramble, aren't I? R

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
Like Fossil, because I can. I like long rides but I also just ride to work and back most days. If I'm not in a hurry home I have a couple routes that take me the long way home. I get a recharge of batteries just hitting the back roads. I love to travel and see the country and doing that on a bike is my plan. Twenty-one states down, twenty-nine to go. That ride to Hawaii is going to be a tough one so I'm saving it for last.

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
Same answer as Fossil, because I can. :)
I don't ride to work very often as I work a graveyard shift and don't like leaving it out in the lot.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I ride to see the scenery and relax. I have been to the Smokies 6 times this summer, Florida 3 times, rode the Natchez trace 3 times, 4 trips to Nashville and ride most everyday when the wife is at work. I love retirement and my wing!

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
When I started riding I began reading journals by a local motorcyclist. You might find the answers you seek on this page.
http://www.bamarider.com/Essays/Essays 2002/the_long_rider.htm
Interesting point of view but I do not see it as covering all riders to fit in those stages.
I love two wheels and ride in the winter and summer heat. Every week I am home I ride. I study the history of where I am going and what is there. Most of my riding is done alone and distance or time is not important. If there is a side road and I have the time I go and see where it goes. I am not a IB rider and never will be. I do like to read any long ride and for that matter amy short ride.
I get great enjoyment from small bike in the hills and open road, just for the chalenge. Yes the big will do it easier and there is enjoyment in that too.
So I do not fit in the first two stages and I do not fit in 3 or 4. I do love to ride and not on the just on the clear blue sky,75f days. I have never done a toy run.
You do the long ride and I will read everyone of them.
Eric

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Interesting point of view but I do not see it as covering all riders to fit in those stages.
I love two wheels and ride in the winter and summer heat. Every week I am home I ride. I study the history of where I am going and what is there. Most of my riding is done alone and distance or time is not important. If there is a side road and I have the time I go and see where it goes. I am not a IB rider and never will be. I do like to read any long ride and for that matter amy short ride.
I get great enjoyment from small bike in the hills and open road, just for the chalenge. Yes the big will do it easier and there is enjoyment in that too.
So I do not fit in the first two stages and I do not fit in 3 or 4. I do love to ride and not on the just on the clear blue sky,75f days. I have never done a toy run.
You do the long ride and I will read everyone of them.
Eric
Just another point of few or opinion. I don't think the Essay was meant to insult anyone and their reason to ride. I feel like instead of stages....it should say types.

The beauty of riding is, it is a personal thing for the individual. "I ride therefore I am".

Personally I get a spiritual feeling from the ride. When I ride a short ride I can't help but smile for the peace it gives me. When I ride an IB......Its more of a sense of accomplishment. I have conquered myself. The experience I get from completing an IB, helps me get thru many personal obstacles.

Now from what you say.....You fall under Stage 4 or what I think is the 4th type of rider.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I ride for many reasons, and one of the reasons is that it makes me feel young and eager for life again. If you've ever ridden a horse bare back you know the warm fuzzy feeling you get with those strong muscles moving with a rhythm that rocks you to sleep. You can feel him breath with your legs and the power of the horse is transmitted through his spine and into you. The warmth and smell of the horse makes you bond with the animal and you become one. Riding a bike is only a step or two down from that. :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I started riding I began reading journals by a local motorcyclist. You might find the answers you seek on this page.
http://www.bamarider.com/Essays/Essays 2002/the_long_rider.htm
Thanks, that was an interesting read. I think I used to be a tourer and now a rider. Guess due to age, LOL. Used to take a couple of long trips each year, but have been only local the last bit of time. About 150 to 200 miles a day is my limit. Most of my riding now is 60 to 100 miles.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Quantitiy never replaces quality in all but a few instances.
For me, it's always the ride itself. I will get the odd case of 'get there itis', but the destination is only the precurser for going. Like Ron says, you gotta smell the roses along the way.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Like Fossil, because I can. I like long rides but I also just ride to work and back most days. If I'm not in a hurry home I have a couple routes that take me the long way home. I get a recharge of batteries just hitting the back roads. I love to travel and see the country and doing that on a bike is my plan. Twenty-one states down, twenty-nine to go. That ride to Hawaii is going to be a tough one so I'm saving it for last.
MY answer would be similar to Marks here, except I havent rode as many states, well that I remember or lately. but thats why I bought a wing. It was also so that me and my son could take longer trips over the next couple of years. I dont want him to remember me as always working, and I was but changing that. I could do stuff in a car but,,,, the bike rides he'll remember way better.

I owned 2 bikes before ever having a car, I wrecked badly early on and thought I was done with it. that last about a year after recovery lol. so I think for me, riding a bike may not define me, but it certainly is a big part of me. Id rather ride in the rain than not at all....why just yesterday lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.