Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a barely used (less than 6000 miles) '05 Goldwing and love the bike. I'm just wondering who our youngest and oldest members are. I am currently 43 and I'm always entertained when I hear of a 20 something riding a Wing and encouraged/inspired when I hear of someone in their 80's still putting miles on the clock. I'd love to hear the stories as well as your diverse riding interest. Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm 43. I ride back and forth from work, go on a supper ride (go eat somewhere) with a group on Thursday evenings and ride where ever on Saturday. Also have a second home 4 hours north of here. That's always a good ride !

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
We consider any member in their 40's a young Wing rider. The 30's and 40's should keep you busy with " T " ball, soccer games, High School activities and general house chores. The 50's are the transition years: Children are hopefully on their own somewhat; you can afford lawn service, and your looking to recapture the lost years you went without a motorcycle. You try a cruiser for a while but the body just won't take the miles of riding like it use to. So you convince your wife that if you could buy a Goldwing you could spend more weekend time together . She falls for it. That's the 50's. The 60's,70's 80's ? I don't know yet. I'm 54 next month.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We consider any member in their 40's a young Wing rider. The 30's and 40's should keep you busy with " T " ball, soccer games, High School activities and general house chores. The 50's are the transition years: Children are hopefully on their own somewhat; you can afford lawn service, and your looking to recapture the lost years you went without a motorcycle. You try a cruiser for a while but the body just won't take the miles of riding like it use to. So you convince your wife that if you could buy a Goldwing you could spend more weekend time together . She falls for it. That's the 50's. The 60's,70's 80's ? I don't know yet. I'm 54 next month.
Sounds like I'm a bit ahead of schedule. I have four kids and the youngest is 19. I've been paying for lawn care for a while now. However, the summary of the progression is very helpful. I don't know when, or if, I'll move something out but I currently have a Kawasaki ZX6R, Kawasaki Nomad 1700, Kawasaki Versys, Yamaha WR450F and a Ninja 650R. I'm enjoying them all and looking forward to putting lots of miles on the Goldwing. Hopefully it will meet my touring needs for many years to come.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
W w & w

Im 64, past few months I have ridden only short hops at night as mini vacations. My "part time" retirement job is taking up 5 days a week. I'm gonna fix that pretty soon. I do like to ride a 2 nighter or more but have not done so. I ride an 04 wing w 115K miles. I bought it new. Nice to meet you.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I started riding hair and hounds around age 15. Rode moto-cross from17 to about 23. Then I bought my first "street bike" for basic transportation. Been riding ever since. Now at age 54 I have had a Wing for Almost a year. It was the Wifes Idea, and We really enjoy our time on it. Next month we're taking a couple of weeks to run up to Washington D.C. to look around. Feel like kids waiting on Christmas to arrive.:D

·
Registered
402 Posts
Im 64, past few months I have ridden only short hops at night as mini vacations. My "part time" retirement job is taking up 5 days a week. I'm gonna fix that pretty soon. I do like to ride a 2 nighter or more but have not done so. I ride an 04 wing w 115K miles. I bought it new. Nice to meet you.
115K! Wow, I guess that explains why you've got all those pretty colors on your US map display. :)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I'm 60 started riding Gold Wings when I was 34. Have owned 6 since then, I have put about 250,000 combined miles on them, the most, 108,000, on my 92. I have been in every state except Alaska, Hawaii and North Dakota, My 08 that I bought in March of 08 has 24,000 miles on it, but one of my riding buddies is 82 he rides BMW just traded his 08 12GT with 43,000 miles on it for a new 1300GT, he loves to ride.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Not quite 53 yet and bought my first ('84) Wing that year & turned the rip old age of 27 in the fall. We toured on a CB750c prior to the Wing..we thought we'd really arrived. Then we got a Solaris tent trailer in '85, and then traded up to a Tiny-mite in '88; wow! Coming back from California in '91 a couple GL1500's passed us just outside Redding on an I-5 long hard pull (had the 1200 twisted to full stop in 3rd gear and barely maintaining 50mph in the 90+ heat) and I told the Mrs it was time for a new bike the minute we got home. 167,000 miles on ole 24KGOLD (my l/p) and I was tired of her. WE can be so fickle.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Young?

I'm 43. Just bought the 2010 Wing three weeks ago. I was doing too much riding not to make the wife comfortable. We put 20,000 on the '09 V-Star1100. We are currently on a trip and plan many more. Started my 2nd career after retiring from the Air Force 6 years ago, but we will be on the Wing a lot.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the feedback guys

I appreciate all the input. A lot of long time wing riders. Great to hear. I'm surprised by the number of owners of models in succession as the wing transformed to what it is today. Says a LOT about the model.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Let's just say I'm not as old as a certain someone from Centreville, Va. that has a white wing:D:D:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am 45, Retired from the navy and working full time in Military Reserve. Well full time.. is quick.. I work 9 months a year.

I have no kids at home and each chance we get, me and wife go out.

I bought my first wing a month ago as my wife was not comfortable enough on my Viraga 1100.

I have put 4000KM in last month 3200 miles and I plan in putting at least another 15k by end of september as I have 5 more weeks off :D

My wing is a used 1990 GL1500 SE

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
Age and rides

I'm 56 and my current wing is a 96 1500 with 102000 on her. My first bike was new 1970 350 Scrambler at age 17, then it was a new 750 four custom. In 1982 I bought a low mileage 1000 wing with Vetter bodywork. It was my first. I was hooked at age 30. Since then there has been 6 more wings, a 98 valkyrie tourer and a 05 VTX 1800. They were all rode year round to and from work as long as ice or so was not possible. I've also ridden in most of the states from Arkansas to Washington on various length trips. I only had one wing I considered a problem but it was only because leaped before I looked and bought on that had been mistreated. I don't think a full year has gone by without a bike and/or 4wheeler in my garage since age 17. Not goning to happen anytime soon either.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am 63 and have been riding since I was 15. Some of the bikes I have owned, 25cc B.S.A. Winged Wheel, 98cc Francis Barnett, 200 cc James, 350cc Royal Enfield, 1000 cc Ariel Square Four, Indian, never did get that one runnning, 250cc Yamaha YDS3, 350cc Kawi, 1400 cc Susuki Calvalcade, B.M.W. K12LT, and now a 2001 Wing.
My dad rode for 70 years and just sold his last bike, a Bergman, at age 88.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Late bloomer

I'm a late rider. I bought my first bike eight years ago, its a Suzuki 400 Enduro. Rode that since 2002 on street and dirt - still ride it on dirt. However, I am now fifty and I am feeling it more and it is starting to hurt. I bought my new Wing in '08 and I have put 15k on it. I have been averaging 5k per year but this year I'll double it. I love riding the Wing and I take it everywhere.

After riding with me for the past three seasons my wife is considering taking a riding course for beginners and getting her own ride. Because of her smallness, in height only - big heart -, she is looking at the Honda Rebel. I will of course still ride my Wing because I just love it. It is a great bike for commuting and even more fun when taking long pleasure rides. I plan on keeping it until I can't ride any more.

I will probably sell my Suzuki next spring and put that money on the wife's new ride.

I have no regrets for buying the Wing and I am kind of proud that I went from the 400 right to the 1800 without a problem.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Im 45 and ride all the time!! Love to ride and hope my wallet allows me to continue to for as long as i can hold a wing up!!!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts