Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a great '98 aspy with 128K on it. Recently replaced alternator and belts. Question, I think I can sell it and get about $4K more than I paid for it and move up to an 1800. Have found some good local deals for a 2004 that would only cost me about $3K more with only 34K miles.

What would be the reasons I would want to move up to an 1800. I don't like the fact that the storage is less. I do like bigger engine and chain timing rather than belts and solid lifter vs. hydraulic.

With the fact that I am 70 yrs. young and don't have a ton of years ahead of me to hold 'er up I would like to hear what you say about this deal.

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts
Personally I'd keep the 1500, at 128K she's just broken in. But then again, I ride a 1200!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
GD,

What's your average mileage per year? I guess my other question is.... All logic and analysis aside are you more 'attached' to your current ride or 'wanting' an 1800 more than your current ride? In other words, what's your 'heart' telling you? That sure is a nice ride you have there but an 1800 for the difference of $3k and -90000 miles seems like the logical decision... IMHO.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't anticipate more than 15-20K a year for next 5 years. Looking more at resale value for investment purposes. I don't get attached to anything but like to fix up, improve, embellish and trade up for relatively little difference. Doing all the work myself keeps it from being too much invested.
I agree with you that the logical thing looks good.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Sounds like all reasoning points to that 1800 :)

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Never " rode " a 1500, only " sat " on a few. The 1500 is much more comfortable to me in terms of seating position. The 1800 is high and tight.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Agree that the 1500 is roomier and has more storage. I loved mine. But, having the '09 now, I would never go back to the 1500. The power, ride, handling, and just plain wow factor is more than enough reason for me to pick the 1800. If you're looking at an '04, just remember to check for the frame fix ('x' stammped on the VIN tag) and the heating issue. There's lots of them out there, so they are great bikes, but I'd look at an '06 to be honest. The extra $ isn't that much and the upgrades are well worth it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have a great '98 aspy with 128K on it. Recently replaced alternator and belts. Question, I think I can sell it and get about $4K more than I paid for it and move up to an 1800. Have found some good local deals for a 2004 that would only cost me about $3K more with only 34K miles.

What would be the reasons I would want to move up to an 1800. I don't like the fact that the storage is less. I do like bigger engine and chain timing rather than belts and solid lifter vs. hydraulic.

With the fact that I am 70 yrs. young and don't have a ton of years ahead of me to hold 'er up I would like to hear what you say about this deal.
Really can't think of any reason. I have gone through five GL1500's. I am currently on my fifth one which is a 1997se with 93,000 to date. Never had the first skip or problem of any description. Just for safety sake I have changed the belts, "which looked brand new" wheel bearings, "which felt brand new", dash and headlight bulbs "which by the way were all burning". Other than regular maintenance thats it. :)
Just had a thought maybe you could use the excuse of color to move up!!! :D

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Unless the 04 is red, stay with the 1500, the word I have from a reliable source is that Honda Paints all the prefect WINGs red, the other they paint what ever is handy. :rolleyes:
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Chopin; @&*# Me thinks you made me hurt meself:D

From da Nordwes kerner
Won

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I had a 98 GL1500 SE that I bought new and loved it. I bought my 09 GL1800 last year and have never looked back. The 1500 is a great bike, but the 1800 is hands down an all around better bike. Handling is better and FI makes it run much smoother. Only problem with the 1800 is having to buy all the farkles that I already had on the 1500.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
As a 1500 owner, I can think a reason or two to upgrade.
As new ideas for bikes come to market, they invest in the current model. They may or may not cater to the older models as that market is small and getting smaller by the day.
Centramic balancers are not available nor the mesh pocket holders for my trunk and saddlebag lids are just 2 examples that come to mind. If you want the innovative electronic toys or upgrades, they may or may not be available for the older bikes depending on how easily the new technology retrofits the bikes internal system.

Now fast forward to next year and the new Wing is introduced. This just means that the emphasis will shift to them as this market is going to grow. Investment in innovation is easy to justify as Honda keeps these models 10 years or more. Then, the gl1800s will become the afterthought unless there really are no significant changes.

If none of this interests you then it isn't a problem. But if you read much here, most newbies with pre 88's are looking for parts-forget the latest gadgets. It is inevitable that this will become true for the 1500s over the next few years where we will be feeding off of parts bikes as it becomes unprofitable to make or warehouse these parts.

I greatly enjoy my ride and have no plans to change in next year or two. But there will come a time to step up.

This is why I admire those who ride the vintage bikes. It is a labor of love. They have to work harder to keep theirs looking like new.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I myself have this same delema wether to change up or not. I love my 2000 GL1500SE and as am sure you can see has lot's of toys on her. I also put a lot of led lights on her in the last couple of years. When I do trips it is most of the time with my wife on the back, so the extra lugage space is nice. I have no desire to pull a trailer so I load her (the bike) ;) up like a packing mule and she still runs great. I think I will wait for the next generation of wings to make a decision which way I will go or keep the baby. By the way I'm 51 years old so I plan on riding many years to come.

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Old verse Newer

I agree with Love2ride There will come a time when parts become hard to get and that when people like me gather parts at swap meeting and store all these things so that you can keep it running. But unlike a lot of people that have classics I use them as my daily drive because I get a kick out of see old cars and bikes on the road. My newest car I have had was 1980 Peugeot and the newest bike is the 1985 Sabre. I probally spend as much on my old bikes as someone with a newer bike or car. As an example the chrome on the Vauxhall was $3000. I don't know how long I can keep doing the physical things. I have never used a service station but I am thinking it maybe time. It seem wrong that you learn how to do everthing only to get too hard to physically do it. By the end of the month I hope to have my daughters 1975 honda 125cc motor rebuilt. Photos will be posted. And by the end of the year the Vauxhall on the road and photos Eric

·
Registered
14 Posts
Having had 3 15's, I can honestly say the 18 was a definite step up. Storage was and is not a problem as we have a trailer. The 18 does take a bit of tweeking to get it to my specs, but all in all, a great machine. My 2004 had 101,000 miles on it when I traded up to a 2010. If your serious about an 04, make sure you get down under it and look for frame cracks, and make sure all the recalls have been done. Even if it is outside the numbers for the recalls, look the frame over good. Some have been showing up near the passenger foot rests. Your 15 with that milage us just on the cusp of needed repairs. And the 10 year thing about getting parts may now become a issue. I have never owned a bike as an "investment" so I can not speak to that point.

·
Registered
691 Posts
More power, lower cog, more goodys avalible and E.F.I. better throtle response.
Paid for, runs great, more room.
175000 on the Green Wing. Still smooth and Uses no oil. Bottom line, ride what you want.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts