Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sadly, I decided to sell my '21 GW.
1) Incessant gear whine, especially at speeds where wind noise would not block it out;
2) Lack of very low speed control regardless of mode;
3) Placement of cruise control switch on the RIGHT side (just backwards of what is logical). It is nearly impossible (for me with small hands) to actuate the switch without blipping the throttle at the same time !
4) Very dated and clunky navigation;
5) Engine drone. Earplugs would probably be a solution ???
6) No way to lock the center compartment for storage...have NO idea why Honda did this ??
7) Front tire that sings ! This, I am sure is accentuated by a) enormous tire-loading due to GW gross weight, and 2) the cavity in the fairing that acts as an acoustic horn, amplifying the noise.
8) 830 pound weight is simply more than I am comfortable handling.
BEST features of the '21 Wing: Handling at speed (phenomenal), seating ergonomics (perfect !), handlebar location (best I've ever experienced), walking mode (can't do without it on this bike !)
So, the DCT Wing, even as much as I researched it, ended up not being a good choice for me, personally. If I had to own a GW, it'd be the MANUAL version, hands down. GLTA. I think Honda is aiming this bike at a younger sporting rider, and less to the touring guys. It would also make a great platform for a trike. I wish you DCT riders well !! Fortunately, I was able to take a relatively small loss on the bike; it got snapped up on Cycle Trader in about 4 days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What will you replace the GW with?
Maybe an r1250RT, or possibly another bike that is in the 600 lb range. I found the DCT Wing simply too big and heavy for the riding I am doing. I did not learn this on the initial test ride prior to buying the bike. This is all MY FAULT, and no fault of the dealer, or Honda. I learned a huge lesson: what you read in chat rooms and see on Youtube is NOT a substitute for long test rides !! The DCT is great for those who don't want to manually shift. Just be aware that you're going to get some loss of control, and you'll experience another level of "busy-ness" and gear noise and mechanical clicks and clunks that you are not used to; these will not go away. They are part of the signature of the bike's DCT design. The reverse gear is not only great, but a necessity on the Wing; it is very difficult to move without it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1) Incessant gear whine, especially at speeds where wind noise would not block it out;
3) Placement of cruise control switch on the RIGHT side (just backwards of what is logical). It is nearly impossible (for me with small hands) to actuate the switch without blipping the throttle at the same time !
6) No way to lock the center compartment for storage...have NO idea why Honda did this ??
7) Front tire that sings ! This, I am sure is accentuated by a) enormous tire-loading due to GW gross weight, and 2) the cavity in the fairing that acts as an acoustic horn, amplifying the noise.
BEST features of the '21 Wing: Handling at speed (phenomenal), seating ergonomics (perfect !), handlebar location (best I've ever experienced), walking mode (can't do without it on this bike !)
So, the DCT Wing, even as much as I researched it, ended up not being a good choice for me, personally. If I had to own a GW, it'd be the MANUAL version, hands down. GLTA. I think Honda is aiming this bike at a younger sporting rider, and less to the touring guys. It would also make a great platform for a trike. I wish you DCT riders well !! Fortunately, I was able to take a relatively small loss on the bike; it got snapped up on Cycle Trader in about 4 days.
Wow! Complete opposite to me. LOVE my 2020 DCT. 1/ ??? What whine? 2/ Great low speed control 5/ Engine drone??? 7/ Singing front tyre? LOVE IT LOVE IT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Complete opposite to me. LOVE my 2020 DCT. 1/ ??? What whine? 2/ Great low speed control 5/ Engine drone??? 7/ Singing front tyre? LOVE IT LOVE IT.
Glad you like your 'Wing. I stand by my post 100%. To each his own. Nice to hear you're enjoying your Honda. Hope it gives you many years of enjoyable miles. Gary in Ohio

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad you have found your perfect bike, and to each their own for sure. Don't take offense, No one is knocking your comments here. The GW certainly isn't perfect. And yes, it can be better in many regards. I would like the Helmet locks back on the trunk, and more saddle bag space now that the trunk is good size again for the 21 model. I would like it to be quieter on the muffler side as well. The front fairing in compared to my 2005 is also lacking in wind management. The passenger compartment is less comfortable than the previous model so the wife says. So now we have to purchase aftermarket items to "make it" perform (close enough) to the standards of the previous model we were used to. Change or getting used to change is very hard for some. (me included). Some observations in your comments follows in bold.. again to each their own so no offence meant.

1) Incessant gear whine, especially at speeds where wind noise would not block it out; (not there on mine.. maybe a DCT initialization needed or some other issue)
2) Lack of very low speed control regardless of mode; (use walking mode for anything where your feet would need to touch the ground, I have found it very stable and controllable at slow speed in tour mode. however, I can understand if you are performing in parade mode slow speed maneuvers or are used to doing "slipping clutch" maneuvers DCT can be little tricky. And I admit, this has thrown me off guard a time or two, but I've got used to the quirks.) The throttle by wire is a bit more touchy than the old manual cables, but that is the price to pay for technology.
3) Placement of cruise control switch on the RIGHT side (just backwards of what is logical). It is nearly impossible (for me with small hands) to actuate the switch without blipping the throttle at the same time ! (My 2005 GL1800 was on right side. so I'm used to it. The only real change is the horn button has moved to make way for the shifter paddle. It's kind of difficult to get used to that relocation as I hit down shift when I want to blow the horn, but I'm still in training for that change.)
4) Very dated and clunky navigation; (Yes I agree but it does take some getting used to and lots of reading manual once you understand "Hondas" concept it works. I've done some trip planning on it and once you get the "how to" down it actually works kind of good.) It is no where up to par with the garmin for sure.
5) Engine drone. Earplugs would probably be a solution ??? (that is because they "loudened" the mufflers for the "HD bunch" because they had previous complaints that it was to quiet. My 2005 was quieter for sure. And yes I've noticed a "sonic" vibration that results from the engine/exhaust dynamics but i've also had that on my 2005 at certain speeds.) Also some of this has to do with the helmet. Some helmets are quieter than others. My Nolan is quieter than my HJC by a lot. Maybe that it fits better on my noggin.
6) No way to lock the center compartment for storage...have NO idea why Honda did this ?? (you can get Traxxion dynamics lock that locks with a key) (I suspect that they didn't lock it due to owners locking their fob in there) I do not find this a hinderance even though I've walked away and left my iphone in there a time or two. I've since relocated the phone on a cradle outside that pocket, so that is less of an issue now. Better than those with the air bag, as they have no cubby. :)
7) Front tire that sings ! This, I am sure is accentuated by a) enormous tire-loading due to GW gross weight, and 2) the cavity in the fairing that acts as an acoustic horn, amplifying the noise. (I have tire singing, yes, this is mostly the tire tread pattern and low pressure. When I had my 2005 i had it as well. Lot of it was from rear tire, not front though. Changed to Dunlop E4 and most of it was gone, to include wobble which my 2005 had since new. and yes the weight of the bike has correlation to how much of the tread pattern is hitting the road increasing the "singing".)
8) 830 pound weight is simply more than I am comfortable handling. (Sounds like this is your first wing. The previous 2001-2017 wing was heavier. Throw on luggage and the weight of a passenger, it can top 1000lbs plus. Yes, this bike can be a beast for some. Some HD, Indians and others can be right up there with weight as well. This is not for everyone for sure and due to other factors, like age, surgeries, and other reasons, that is why many go for Trikes. If you are a solo rider this is not much of an issue, but if you have a co-rider, their comfort becomes important. This helps sway most to larger bikes. Wife in pain, leads to no gain... lol

It would be interesting to know what bike you finally settled on. It is not what you ride, but that you ride for you. Just do it safely.

Ride long and Prosper..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I loved my 1982 Honda Goldwing ! Perfect size for me, and a smoother engine than the current generation. I'd love to see Honda put out a modern version of that bike, with cruise control and good weather protection, maxing out at, say, 600 lbs. It was a very quiet, non-intrusive ride. Too many riders now are fixated on making noise, IMO, and wanting to be "seen". This is not what motorcycling needs at this point !

·
Registered
160 Posts
No need to defend your decision or even justify it. It's your motorcycle, your money & your decision. That's why there are several brands and styles to choose from. Hope you find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No need to defend your decision or even justify it. It's your motorcycle, your money & your decision. That's why there are several brands and styles to choose from. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Thanks. I appreciate your well-tempered response. I am not a Goldwing "hater". That is why I spent over 30 grand taking a chance on a new one ! GLTY, as well. Gary in Appalachian Ohio

·
Registered
211 Posts
Did you test ride this bike before you bought it? any research ? there is plenty of info out there. I knew after two test rides the suspension was weak and the seat was a rock, all have been replaced.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Did you test ride this bike before you bought it? any research ? there is plenty of info out there. I knew after two test rides the suspension was weak and the seat was a rock, all have been replaced.
I've found that most dealers do not allow a test ride.

·
Registered
2021 dct tOUR
7 Posts
I also am curious about your reasons but of course as someone else said. your bike, your choice for comfort and performance. But for me, my '21 Tour DCT is the best wing of 8 I have owned over a bunch of years. Yup, 800+ lbs and you better be prepared for that but for handling, this one is even better than the F6B I replaced with it, even with the extra pounds. And as for the DCT, I couldn't be happier with it. it's different of course but I was in love with it in a hundred miles. I have no drone (did replace the mufflers for a bit more voice) and beautiful handling. I wouldn't want someone looking at an upgrade be scared to try 21-22 because I'm thinking your evaluation isn't the most prevalent. Good luck, find a bike that fits you and be safe out there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've found that most dealers do not allow a test ride.
I ran into that with a couple HD dealers, needless to say I bought from a HD dealer that did.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good luck with what ever you replace it with, truly mean that. For me, I don’t have any issues with mine. It took me a little bit to get the feel for the low speed tight turns on the DCT I felt like I was giving it too much throttle which resulted in me going too slow and that makes it really fall into the turn. Once I got the feel for the big girl it’s second nature. I like the exhaust tone not too loud not too quiet. Very curious about the engine whine you describe. I will say mine got quieter shifting after the first 200 miles not that it was shifting loudly certainly not a whine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts