Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Duh, just wondering why i would need a CB? with traffic monitering GPS and cell phones that do everything,but tie your shoes.am i missing something?i have a CB in my motor coach and have yet to turn it on! just curious and I'm not too bright

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
My riding buddies and I all have C.B.s, we use them probably on every ride. We use them to chat or point something out on the road or alert one of us of something ahead. When I'm riding solo I sometimes talk to truckers to get road updates. Also very useful to tell your buddie if you have to go 10-100 :D

·
Registered
793 Posts
Group riding for ride info since the stock cb doesn't get out very far. Sucks, $800 for a sub par cb. Range maybe a mile on a good day.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Because of their limited range, CB's are pretty much used for bike to bike communications. They are great for conversing while riding in a group, but when you are alone, they have limited use, unless you want to listen to the "trucker channel".. I had one on my 98 GL1500 SE and enjoyed it on trips with friends, but that was about it. Don't have one on the GL1800. If I rode more in groups I would think about buying one.

At a price of between $500 to $600 plus the price of an antenna. If your not handy you have to add to that the cost of dealer installation which could bring the whole thing to about $1,000. It can be an expensive farkle for sure..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you ride alone there is no need for one, if you ride with others than it a great addition, communication between riders is important.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Group riding for ride info since the stock cb doesn't get out very far. Sucks, $800 for a sub par cb. Range maybe a mile on a good day.
You need your SWR tuned as do those you communicate with, if a mile is all you get! Or you may have an antenna problem!
Have had this discussion many times.
Naysayers argue SWR is of little consequence and should be "close enough"!
Not true!
My CB/Antenna were the Honda brand, installed by my dealer who told me the SWR was tuned! Couldn't get out much more than 1/2mile!
Took it over to Sierra Electronics, SWR checked in excess of 1:3!
Was tuned to 1:1.3. Now on good days, can transmit up to 6 miles.
3 to 4 miles is the norm.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
As everyone says great for group riding. When we ride with min. three bikes or more the lead always communicates with the tail or sweep. On the busy hwys the lead will ask the tail to close the lane and then we all move over. Or the sweep will warn if some idiot will be baring down on us or flies by us. Just nice to have communication. If I'm riding solo it stays off.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
My Wing didn't come with one and even if it did I'd never use it. Like most mention unless you ride in a group then you need one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The CB was one of the first additions I got for my 1800. I had one on my 1500 and regarded it as a necessity. For group rides, or even with only a buddy, a CB lets you have bike to bike communication which after awhile becomes taken for granted. Yes, its pricey but nothing beats it for riding in groups, Or calling out a dangerous condition up ahead or other warnings that could save you some skin or $$$.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Some years ago I was on the Vancouver coast region on the 1500 with my wife. Near Sechelt BC an obviously drunk driver was wreaking havoc on a busy two lane roadway. We heard about this a$$hole coming our way via the CB and were able to find a safe haven out of his swerving path. While we were waiting I switched to the ch9 emergency and put out a "willie weaver" mayday. Remember this was before the everyday age of cell phones. A lady on a base station heard our call and contacted the local RCMP detachment. The guy was arrested within 10 minutes, but not before he sideswiped several vehicles. I'm definitely putting one on the 1800.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
" why do i need a cb " it helps with resale value ? both my wings have them ( and they do work ) but i don't have a mic to talk back

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just got my CB via FEDEX today. Tomorrow thanks to a knowledgable member in our
GWRRA chapter it will be installed and ready for our ride to "Wings over the Smokies" on Thursday. I am looking forward to being able to communicate while on group rides. I like the looks of dual antenna, and I think its just a nice option.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I ride in groups its great to know of road kill in the middle of the road before I get to it. Same for when we are going to make a stop so everyone has notice to avoid a collision.

When I'm on my own, I have no need. My bike also had the CB on it when I got it.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I would get one, I like the fact that if I'm in traffic I can find out what the problem is, plus if riding with others I can I tell lies to them as we ride and helps to past time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd love to have one, but the $700 is just a little out of my price range.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
CB

To me a CB is just a distraction and an electric gizmo that has to be repaired now and then. Also expensive to buy.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
To me a CB is just a distraction and an electric gizmo that has to be repaired now and then. Also expensive to buy.
not true i only use mine when riding with others that use thiers, i can't talk back because i don't have a head set or mic but i can listen. when not needed there is a knob to turn it off, no distraction and stay off ch 19. too bad they don't have side band. i am looking for a mic only, anyone know where to get just a mic? going to get a head set over the winter but still need a mic

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi All,
noob here.
I just bought my first Wing. It's a 2005 and does not have a CB. I am considering the gl2way because it sounds like a better deal with options. Suppose I bought this unit; what would I do with the CB controls on the handlebar? Has anyone modified these to control something other than a CB? It kind of bothers me that I have extra switches that do nothing.
Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
I love my CB and wouldn't be without one. Our first ride with the Chapter here was without and I can tell you that was not a fun trip. Didn't know what was going on, when to change lanes etc. Got the CB before the next ride. Had a much better time. have also put it to good use while traveling alone. Can monitor traffic from the truckers etc and stay up on any emergency's that you might come across.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.