Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - Love to Ride but Yikes, last week my wife and I were riding in the left lane on a 4 lane highway (2 lanes each direction) amongst moderate traffic. Beautiful sunny day and had plans to only be on this road for a short distance. Everyone was reasonably spaced in a mixture of cars and pickups along with several 18 wheelers who were trying to intimidate their way through the crowd in both lanes. I was well behind the last 18 wheeler when suddenly everybody and I mean everybody - locked up their brakes. The tires of the 18 wheelers up front were pouring smoke from every orifice and it looked like the pickup closing in behind us was still going way too fast. As each vehicle came to a snarling stop all we heard was busting glass and plastic car parts flying. Somehow we wound up with just enough clearance front and rear to avoid contact with anything. As everyone gradually untangled and began crawling forward, it became clear what had happened. A dually pickup pulling a huge 5th wheel camper had blown 2 tires on his 3 axle trailer. With only one tire remaining on one side and since there wasn't a maintenance lane because of road construction, the dually had finally had come to a stop in the road. A couple of guys were in the middle of replacing one of the tires (I guess to get on down the road to a safer place). If we hadn't been on our bike and there had been a safe place to pull over - I'd have stopped to try and help. My wife was having nothing of it at this point.

Since no one could see up head because of the height of the 18 wheel trailers in both lanes - their drivers were the only ones who could have anticipated the approaching danger. This was evidently why they were suddenly accelerating so haed while trying to bully their way threw the crowd and into the left lane.

This near miss traffic accident really frightened my wife and I'm not sure if she'll ever ride again. It's been a week and I'm still a bit spooked myself.

Michael

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
yep, I usually just let the 18 wheelers go, I am never in such a hurry that I am ok with showing up dead
around here, you really have to watch out for the milk trucks and silage trucks, they drive like a bat out of he*^ and a milk truck can't stop all that milk when it hits the front of the trailer

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry to hear of your close call, and I hope that your wife recovers and rides again.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with the concept of staying away from ‘tonage’!!! I will either accelerate ahead of them if I have clear line of sight, or patiently stat well behind them to have evasive maneuvering room. Start looking at the big rig drivers and it will scare you. They are younger than most of us riding gold wings.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I followed 2 truckers trying race each other between Evanston Wy. and Kimball junction UT. Up and down hills enough to keep them well below the speed limit. About 10 miles in one finally got enough of a gap between them I shot through the gap gave them both the finger and sped off hearing blow their horns at me.
Asswipes!!!!!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well with a little time to calm down after my wife and I were almost involved in a serious traffic accident last week, my wife agreed to go riding. I figure when it comes to riding, it's one step at a time. :) At least she hasn't suggested selling "Red Neckerson" (our 96 Asp) so far.......

Michael

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
I hope your horse ride went well. In the photo you posted it looks like your wife's saddle is not cinched up properly. In any case, 4 legs or 2 wheels a ride is a ride.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Front cinch is the same color as the horse, blends right in.

Reactions: Luv2fish
1 - 12 of 12 Posts