Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new seat set for my '98 Aspy. Any suggestions? I have seen Saddlemen and Hartco as two good seats. Give me some feedback on them and others. Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Hartco seat I had on my '93 I never could get completely comfortable on. :(They had put a gel pad in it and then tightened the upholstry over the top so it was always just a little too hard. The red velour sure looked good though.

I really loved the Diamond Custom I had on my 1200. Which I would have gotten when I got my 93 but at the time they didn't offer a built in backrest. :pSo I went with the Hartco. When I get one for my '01 I think I will go with the Ultimate. I've heard nothing buy rave reviews about them. :DHope that helps...

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Golddigger this is a subject that brings on the opinions. Hope you're ready for them. As Nightwing says I have heard rave reviews about the Ultimates as well. When I had to change the seat on my 95 I was torn between the Corbin & the Russell. I was going to change the seat the 2nd year I had the bike, however after a couple rides my seat was so bad that I couldn't go any further. I found my Hartco & thought it would be a fill in for the real mccoy. That was 4 years ago. So unlike Nightwing I love my Hartco.

Bring on the opinions.

Oh & by the way the Maestro makes his own vroom vroom sounds as well. Stereo.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
I still have the stock heated seat on my GL1800 and seems okay for now, but I replaced my GL1500 seat after about 2 years with a Saddleman Road Sofa. Hated it the first 150 miles and then the gels settled in and it was the best seat in the house. Many 600+ mile days and never a problem.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fossill, who makes the ultimate? which model are you talking about. I know about the road sofa and want to hear of others then I will research and make a decision.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Ultimate seat better be Gold plated for those prices!!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Prices

Choppin, are you kidding me? :rolleyes:Did you price a Russell? The Ultimate is cheap compared to most of the others. I think Diamond Custom is more than the Ultimate as well. Also you gotta consider how many hours you are going to spend in the saddle. And being comfortable is worth everything to me...,
just my 2 cents worth... Oh and MERRY CHRISTMAS!:D

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I'm looking at an Ultimate as well in preparation for my Four Corners Tour in July of 2011. I may ask them to put the cut in the seat for the Ultimate backrest that I already have. That will take a bit of the anxiety out of cutting it myself.

Rapier

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
From what I have seen for prices on the sofa approx. $920 it comes down to budget for me.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Well, as I know the stock seat isn't going to work for me when I'm on the Four Corners Tour, I'm certainly looking hard at the Ultimate seat that Fossil recommends. I can stand about 6 hours in the stock seat and my backside starts complaining. After 7.5 hours, it is screaming and I have to then pretty much call it a day. That's not gonna work if I have to average 450 miles per day on the tour!

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Well, as I know the stock seat isn't going to work for me when I'm on the Four Corners Tour, I'm certainly looking hard at the Ultimate seat that Fossil recommends. I can stand about 6 hours in the stock seat and my backside starts complaining. After 7.5 hours, it is screaming and I have to then pretty much call it a day. That's not gonna work if I have to average 450 miles per day on the tour!
I'll have to settle for the seat pad at Walmart. My touring around here doesn't rate that throne.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Thanks for the info, Maestro, but that seat just isn't my cup of tea.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looking for a new seat set for my '98 Aspy. Any suggestions? I have seen Saddlemen and Hartco as two good seats. Give me some feedback on them and others. Thanks.
I have had a couple custom seats and they were not perfect nor were they really personalized custom as you are led to believe. TS Custom Sales had the best one I purchased, however, he is hard to get a hold of and left me waiting 8 hrs when I went to Ark. to get it modified. I have a custom seat now on my GL1800 that is the best one I have ever owned. I brought my seat to a local custom car/boat/airplane seat builder. I told him what I wanted, specified the foam and materials and he built it for me. total cost was $650.00I used a combination of memeroy foam and high density closed cell foam. I also had my wife's back seat modified, extra lumbar support, made it a straigher angle and cut the seat out to fit her, and use a denser memory foam on the back seat.
The seat is black corinthian leather.
When I travel (solo) I ride 700+ mile days, no sore butt for me. You will, however, get many opinions and responses. this worked for me and I solved my own problems of fit, materials and comfort. I treat it with mink oil (the real stuff) a few times a year and it stays water proof and supple.
Good luck and safe riding.:)

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
John thanks for the idea and details of foam, etc. I have a good upholsterer in my church so I might take it to him.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts