Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a picture of a windshield in the Kuryakyn site that mounts behind the passenger. Who makes this and does any of you have this? I know that on my convertable a windscreen behind the passengers made a lot of difference.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
It's a Kuryakin "Rear Airfoil" p/n 1384 (smk), 1385 (clr) that mounts behind the passenger backrest pad. Kuryakin testers say it's great, others somewhat disagree. I've never spoken to anyone that actually has one, but I did see one on a Wing in Edmonton; couldn't find the owner so I don't know what they think. Kury retail was $129.00, haven't checked Wingstuff if they have it or how many $$.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, just curious. I'm in the begining stages of bling...

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
I hope someone gets this to give a review. It looks like a simple item any one could make with a piece of Plexiglas. $112.99 at WingStuff. Any one up for a home made challenge ?

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Not me Maestro, I hate working with that stuff. But then I don't really have the practice, knowledge, tools, skills, guts, desire, reason...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
466 Posts
The one thing I never understood is why people try and prevent wind on a vehicle that is designed to put you in the wind????
I mean, why even ride a motorcycle if wind bothers you to the point of spending thousands of $$ of Plexiglas to make it feel more like you are in a car?!?!?!

Just my personal opinion here. And I also have seen very very few of these installed on a wing. I have actually seen more for sale that on a bike. That should tell you something right there.

I doubt very seriously that it has any affect whatsoever to the passenger with it on there and I see where is could be a problem riding solo.

I am going to built a Plexiglas Bubble that fits over both riders like an airplane cockpit canopy and I am going to charge $5000 for it. Goldwing owners are going to buy it up like candy!:D

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I've seen them, but still have not found a good reason to have one. Like Joe in Calf said regarding wind on the Wing...."it's a motorcycle, get over it"....

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I hear what you're sayin' guys; I don't have one and don't need one; Wendy has her own bike. If my passenger was putting the 'pressure' on me and it was a rear airfoil that solves the problem, then I am looking for a rear airfoil. None of us are riding on that back seat so my guess is there is more at play here than what we may first believe.

I DO have a convertible and I DO have the plexiglas windscreen between passenger's and driver's seats... it makes a difference; one of life's simple little pleasures

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It was just a question. Wasn't really that interested in one, just curious as I've never seen anything like that for a motorcycle before. I like the wind as much as anyone. But.... I have yet to see a Wing without a "wind shield".:D

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
I'm with you Donald. She doesn't ask for much (At least mine doesn't) so if you can help her out a bit why not. Besides it's not really a question of making the bike air tight or to feel like a car. It's more that if your going to log miles why not have the wind out of your face. It's a case of the old Baskin Robbins Theory I guess.

Oh by the way I have my Nighthawk too for the times I want to be in the breeze.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I had one!
It's claim to fame is eliminating back draft.
My wife is 5'8"'s tall.
1.It was absolutely useless for her and for me riding solo.
2.It was "ugly"
3.My full cover would no longer fit the bike!
Many comments on this very expensive piece of plastic over on the gl1800riders web sight when it was first introduced.
It seems if you wife is a very short person, it might help a little.
Certainly not worth anywhere near what Kury wants for it.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
My buddy picked one up, and had it installed at Americade last year. Kuryakyn guaranteed it or money back. We all thought it was ugly. The end result was he felt a big draft on the back of his neck (I believe when his wife was not on the bike). Kuryakyn said it was not worth the shipping back from Canada, so he had to send pictures showing he destroyed it to get a refund back.

Maybe that is why it is so pricey in the first place for all the people that destroy them after they purchases them. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts