Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I bought a 96 1500 in Sept and love it but there is something I can't figure out about it and have never seen any posts on the subject. After riding all day, I will shut the bike off and after about an hour, there is this goofy "whine" that will come from the bike. It will sometimes do this 2 or 3 times before stopping. The "whine" sort of sounds like something electronic in the gas tank area but I'm just not sure. Any ideas? Is the darn thing haunted?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just a guess, but a while back I asked here about an air noise as I opened my gas tank cap. Could be gas vapors escaping though a non conventional route.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know nothing about the 1500's (never seen one up close) but is it a thermo fan cutting in or the suspention resetting the ride height as the air cools and pressure drops. Does she do it on the side stand or center stand or both. My Harley (yes, I own 2 US built bikes) did this when I fitted aftermarket air suspention and had it wired to the battery not via the ignition. And yes, it did flattern the battery.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The cooling fan relay may be going bad and allowing the fan to run. When you say "Gas tank area" are you talking about in front of the seat or under the seat?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cooling fan relay may be going bad and allowing the fan to run. When you say "Gas tank area" are you talking about in front of the seat or under the seat?
Unfortunatly, the "whine" is very unpredictable and I never seem to be close enough to the bike to really pin the thing down when it starts up. I've had a trickle charger on the bike for about 2 weeks now with the bike in winter storage and I'll be damed if it didn't do it again just last night while I was getting out of my car!

·
Registered
18 Posts
just last night while I was getting out of my car![/QUOTE said:
getting out of your what:rolleyes::)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Had this happen with my 1500, seemed to be coming from the gas tank itself, I've even had gasoline odor when the tank was full. The tank can build pressure, I applied some WD to the seal on the tank cap and no more whine. You'll see threads about the tank relieving pressure when opening the cap, I've been told this is normal. My thoughts.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Have had mine do this a few times. After a ride on a really hot day,park in garage,later in the evening when the bike is finally cooling down,heard it. Popped gas cap,pressure equalized,noise stopped. Try whacker's suggestion. Now that i know what it is,it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Here are a couple of ways to possiably find noise
1. when you park the bike remove gas cap and leave it off for about an hour---- if this removes noise buy new cap

if this is not the problem

2. after parking bike remove negative cable from battery---this will eliminate any noise coming from electrical problems---- if this works start checking relays and cooling fan connections

Just a couple of suggestions --worth what you paid for them

·
Registered
36 Posts
I sometimes have a whinning noise on my bike to. The only time it happens is when I'm riding double up with the wife. When she gets off the whinning noise quits right away. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts