Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant believe Honda could let this happen. I hear allot of GL owners talking about the whine that comes from the front of the bike. I have this same issue. I took my bike to two Honda dealerships. Both agreed that there was a noise but there was no fix. They both stated "that's just the goldwing sound". I cant believe Honda would make such a perfect product just to stop at this. Both shops even started a 2012 for me and it sounded just like my 2010. Don't get me wrong I love the bike, I just get embarrassed when I pull up to a light and have people looking at the bike like its gonna explode.
I cant see why I should have to take this. I am not selling my bike mind you. I would like a better answer than its a GL.
Ok I'm done.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
i think the whine is common to all 6cyl goldwings

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
That's the alternator, isn't it?

I do admit, the lack of motorcyclee sound is one of the few things I don't like about my wing. But I can't say it bothers me a whole lot anymore. A few trips on the highway, then riding my Vulcan afterwards confirms that I'll never trade comfort for motorcyclee sound. Though I gotta say, Budoka's pipes sounded pretty darn nice (and I don't mean his singing :D - never heard that...).

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's all a matter of perspective. If you think a Gold Wing whines, go test ride a BMW 1600 GTL. I actually thought my next ride would be a GTL, the test ride a formality. Until I heard it. It was obnoxious and when I pointed it out to the sales guy he agreed it was loud and not typical. He insisted on starting up another new bike and was surprised it sounded exactly the same. We walked out sans the BMW. :(
Be happy with what you have. ;)

=LJ=

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
It IS possible that your alternator belts aren't adjusted quite right or that there's a bad bearing. Might want to play with different tensions and see if it helps. I don't know if anybody here recommends belt dressing or not. I mean, my bikes are so old I have to hand crank start them!:eek::D

Oh, and welcome to the GWOF!

·
Registered
739 Posts
The 1800 has no belt on the alternator nor timing belts! As to a whine, my 03 makes no noise at all!!!! With over 50,000 miles. Alt is in rear area of engine. Lower left rear side.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I was told that the older 1800's had a lower ampacity alternator on them than the newer models. (08 and up I believe) Something to do with more power being required for the premium audio, heated grips and seats and the GPS.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
There are several contributing factors to the whine of the 1800. First, as mentioned, is the alternator. Second, the cams are chain driven so they add some mechanical whine of their own. There is also some transmission (gear) whine once under way. The two dealers you spoke to weren't yanking your chain, the GL1800 does have some mechanical noise that's inherant in all of them.
Glad you like the pipes Kerry, and no you didn't get the chance to hear me sing (I actually can sing a bit); we never got that far into the grog in the evenings and/or never went to a kareoke joint while down there. Maybe it's a good thing:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.