Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live just outside Orlando and I am trying to plan a getaway with the wife for Labor Day weekend. I have Sept 2-5 off and not sure where to go.

I thought about riding to Key West. Been twice before but not on a bike. Would love to ride US1 on a bike. But Key West in general doesn't do much for me.

Considering Savannah as well. Never been and heard great things about it. But not sure how great the ride would be getting there.

Any thoughts on which way to go? This would be the first multi night bike trip for us.

Thanks
Cory

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I thought about riding to Key West. Been twice before but not on a bike. Would love to ride US1 on a bike. But Key West in general doesn't do much for me.
Sounds like you should head north instead of trying to go south to Key West. As US1 is two lane for most of the way along the Keys, you're bound to end up in a long line of traffic and as I did exactly that when I finished up my Four Corners Tour there, I don't recommend it. So very many more choices as to where to go and what to see in the Savannah area, IMHO.

Ride Safe!

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Well Cory, I been to both & Savannah would be my choice. Key West is a blast for partying & the ride is nice but Savannah has loads of History, very attractive, great food & stuff to do other than party.

As far as the route, yeah if you go straight up 95 it will be a yawner however go to this website & I'm sure you can find cool roads to make the trip.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree with both the previous posters. Savannah would be a no brainer for me, we love the history of the area, and its beautiful to boot. Not to be discounted either, the roads are tremendously more entertaining almost anywhere than southern Fl.

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Okay Cory,

Here's what I know. The little lady & I were there with my Pop & Mom. We stayed at Hunter Air Base because my Pop was retired Air Force. I do remember seeing accomodations out near the base & it looked like a decent area (I wouldn't have been afraid to have a hotel out there) so maybe you can research that. From that area it was a short 15 minute ride to downtown. Savannah moves at a pretty slow pace as I remember it. Not like N.Y.C. or such. We were not on the bike so I would have to tell you that I didn't really pay to close attention to that detail, however again I would say nothing jumps out at me that I would have said WOW I wouldn't want to be on a bike.

I think you should be fine. To the matter of talking the wife into it. Find something that will intrigue her to be on the bike to see. Case in point either touring some of the surrounding Plantations or possibly Tybee Island which is cool. Lot's of Crab Shacks out there to eat at. Speaking of eating if you want some Fine Dining in Savannah, I can recommend "The Pink House" restaraunt, it was great & yes it is a Pink House of the Civil War Era. Another thing that we found was the Savannah Tea Room where the little lady & Mom had High Tea (might be another thing to lure her with). She still talks about that being the best she's ever had & she has been to plenty.

Good Luck, Keep us informed & Ride Safe.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've never been to Savanah but I've spent time in the Keys; not a great place for a bike IMO. I love golf so Savanah would be high on my priority list, but I couldn't Wing it for that.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Savannah would be my choice the keys are $$$$$$

·
Registered
87 Posts
Avoid I-16 from Savannah into Macon Ga. as a scenic route home! There are HUNDREDS of potholes or cracks that have been saw cut presumedly for future repair. These things are 4-5" wide, average 2-3 feet long several inches deep, and many run IN THE DIRECTION OF TRAVEL!!! This would be no fun to drop a wheel into at 75! Just came home thru there and was on pins and needles for about 30 miles or so!

Oh and further south (Brunswick) area is nice too. Several islands you can go to. St. Mary's, Just North of Jacksonville is my favorite place to do NOTHING (But relax) along the Ga coast. Cumberland island is a blast for (again) doing nothing but wasting time, swimming, shelling, picknick etc. Take ferry to island. Hotels there offer pkg deals on room plus restaurant and island trips for reasonable $. Some even pack your lunch for you!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Definitely Savannah. Stop off at St. Augustine for a break. The accomodations in the historic district of Savannah are a little pricey but very nice. Hotels off of I-95 are less expensive but I would spring for being in the historic district. That's where the action is.

Lots of restaurants. Check out the Irish Pub on the waterfront.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I lived in Savannah , it's a city of historic squares and many gost tails , you'll enjoy it and close by is Beaufort SC also great to visit and tons of history.Then ride a little more and do Charleston....wow may just do this myself !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I lived in Savannah , it's a city of historic squares and many gost tails , you'll enjoy it and close by is Beaufort SC also great to visit and tons of history.Then ride a little more and do Charleston....wow may just do this myself !
Thanks, Is the city tough to get around in on a wing? Or is it best to just park at one of the garages and walk around?

·
Registered
132 Posts
The wife and I got back from Savannah about 3-4 weeks ago. It was way too hot, but we had a great time anyway. I have never been to the keys on a bike - but would vote for the ga trip. We stayed in a B&B in the historic district (http://www.elizathompsonhouse.com/)
it was about twice the cost of the name brand hotels near 95. We have stayed in them as well, but we splurged this time and it was great to be able to walk most everywhere we wanted to go. By staying at a resort you can buy a little pass that you put in your car (they taped it to my windshield) and it lets you park at almost any meter or garage in town for like 3-4 days for like 12 dollars total. What a deal. Anyway, the bike was awesome in Savannah - easy to get around and the roads are not bad right now.

We took 95 all the way up/back - but while in the area we did the Tybee Island and a few other trips around some cool areas...If you can't tell, I say Savannah! Make sure to hit Mrs. Wilkes (lunch only mon-fri) and the frozen daqueris (can't spell) on the river walk area and if you can - the ghost tour at night - you meet at the semitary....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, after doing an 8 hour ride int he Florida heat last Sunday, I think we are going to cage it to Savannah. Wife started getting a little light headed and nauseas from riding that long in the heat. We stayed hydrated but I think it was still to much for her in the dead of summer. I don't want to ride there and have her miserable once we got there. So probably better to just take the car. I am going to try and plan some overnight trips in the cooler months, maybe even camp if I can convince her. Then next year we plan to ride up to Boston to see my family. Thanks for all of the valuable info!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts