Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok GW owners,
First I want to say this is the best site about Goldwings, and the information and people on this site are amazing. I come again for the knowledge and expertise from everyone on this site. I think I finally have found two great local deals in Southern California for two Goldwing at two different dealers.

The first one is a new Silver 08 Airbag for $21,100 out the door. The second one is a new Dark Metallic Red 2010 ABS for $21,500 out the door. The dark red is my favorite color, but the only reason I’m getting it for almost the same price as the 08 Airbag is my trade-in. The dealer with 2010 wanted my 07 Honda Silverwing scooter on trade. He was willing to give me$3300 for it. I had originally wanted $4000 for it, but he couldn’t give me the extra $700, so he threw in free oil changes as long as I own the bike.

The 08 Airbag dealer only wanted to give me $2500 for my Silverwing which that would take my out the door price to $18,837 but he really don’t want the scooter and that is why he made his finally offer of $21,100 and I keep my scooter.

So which one should I do? Get a decent deal on my Silverwing scooter and get my favorite color the dark red, or give my scooter away for the 08 for a lower price on a color that I can one day grow to like? I don’t have room in my garage for two cars and two bikes so the scooter must go before I get another bike. So which one is the better deal?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Get what makes you happiest. The money issues will be in the past within weeks. The other color may not grow on you and the money is long gone. If you are like most people, these things will nag at you until you find enough other things to dislike and finally convince yourself to trade again for one you really wanted. and 2 trades will cost you more in the long run.

If you can afford it, don't chase the best deal, get the one you want. In the end, you will be money ahead.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Easy, Okay here we go, let's break it down... We can exclude the scooter because either way (trade/you sell) it's gone.

08:
Pros.
Airbag

Cons:
Bike. although new, is 3 years old which may affect resale, Not the color you want

10:
Pros:
Newer Model, the color you want.

Cons:
No airbag

So it looks to me that the only differences are the Airbag (how important is it to you), color (how important is it to you), and a 3 year old bike vs a current year bike (how important is it to you). Your choice, your $$. Personally, I would go for the 2010 JMHO...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Easy,
I question if the airbag really does help should you have a bad accident (angle of impact etc)? It would be interesting to see a study on accidents with airbag equipped bikes.
I believe most of us buy based on reviews, test rides, friend's suggestions, styling/looks and price. That said, ABS and Airbags are pluses if you can afford them and they are important to you.
I settled for a good deal on a bike I wanted years ago but it was not the color I wanted. I was not real happy everytime I looked at it. That's just me - personal preference.
If it was me, I'd get the '10. Plus I believe the Red is more sellable than Silver (please no flaming me on that) when the time comes (if ever). Personally I like Black Wings, but Red would be my second choice.
Rob

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Sell you silver wing yourself and then buy the 2010 if it's the color you want. Where did you find the new 08? If you can get an 08 base model and add the after market stuff your self, it will end up being better than the Honda stuff anyway. If you sell your Silverwing your self there are a lot of great deals on late model Gold Wings from private sellers out there. and if the bike is under 3 years old it still has the warranty and several have bought the 4 year extended warranty.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Here is a nice deal in New Mexico, you could fly in and ride home
2009 Honda Goldwing, Black Cherry, 3,740 miles,
with comfort and audio package, stereo, MP3 ready, Cruise, heated grips and seats, custom lighting on rotor cover, trunk, and saddlebags, fog lights,
$17,750.00 Mint condition. Contact [email protected]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joe,
That is a great deal, but when you throw in the finace charges of 6.74% on a used Goldwing vice .99% on a brand new I will save more money over the term of the loan. That's my may reason for getting a new one vice getting a used low mile one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts