Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally ready to buy an 1800. I can buy a new '08 ABS for $18,800 or a '10 audio comfort for $19,100. My question is this...is the navigation system and ABS that important? Are there any inherent problems with the navigation system in the previous years? Could I mount a Garmin on the audio comfort model and have the same thing, minus the ABS of course? I'm really stretching my funds at the 19-grand mark and I can't quite cough up the extra cash for the '10 ABS. I haven't been able to find any new '07's anywhere. I'm not opposed to a used low-mileage bike either. How much difference is there in an '05-07 compared to the '08? I've owned a 1000, 1100, and '88 1500 in the past, so I'm comfortable with the wing, but not the newer 1800's. I would be very open to any advice available.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I bought an 08 comfort,nav,prem sound last august. Comfort is well worth it. Nav you can take or leave. It's nice to have it built in so it 's not stolen and a nav in general is just nice to have. We were looking for a motel room one evening and called up motels..it told us which way, how far, and phone numbers to call. Beats the phone book. But once again you can mount a garmin on the handlebars for a lot less. As far as ABS.....I just don't have any experience with them to advise you. People say it's great but I'm old school and I thought the brakes were fine stock to me. Guess I just don't know what I.m missing???The used route is not a bad idea. Lots of people seem to buy a Wing and just don't really seem to use it. But however they usually spend a bunch on extras decking it out. These machines usually have extra chrome, lights, etc. that go with the bike. Hope some of this dribble helps you decide get the wing of your choice before riding season arrives.

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
One of our rider here, knwe55 I believe, said he didn't like the ABS ( felt too mushy ? ). I don't have it on my 08, nor do I consider it a shortcoming. It's a motorcycle. Mine was previously owned and if it came with ABS I would probably think it a plus. As far as GPS, there is alot of controversy and opinions. The 08 models appear to be not updateable cheaply with a download. Some small town names and places are not marked and of course they probably show only the roads that were there in 06 . To give you a price comparison: I bought my used 08 comfy/ Navi 9,850 miles ( no neat addys ) for $18,000. from a private seller. And that's my story.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
I bought my 09 with the audio/comfort options. I already had a Garmin Nuvi 680, so I just mounted it to the bars with a Ram Mount. I would like to have had ABS, but I wasn't willing to spend the extra $$ to move 2 levels up. I paid $17.8k for mine and the jump was almost to $20k. I don't want to promote another website, but if you looking for "used", you can look at

http://www.gl1800riders.com

In the classified section you can find some really nice GL1800's for sale at pretty good prices. Whatever you buy you have to be happy with and you definately have to get in time for riding season. Good luck in your search.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I woul probably kill myself watching the GPS doo - dad instead of traffic. Ill go a strong maybe to ABS, Im not there yet. Bascially I buy the one with the most sound engine and forgo bells and whistles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I joust bought my NEW 08 comfort, nav, prem sound in November for 18,800. Check with Shawnee Honda in Oklahoma or Sunrise Honda in Arkansas to see if they have any more left. You can't beat that price for a brand new wing with those options. I prefer the factory navigation over the ABS.... the navigation unit isn't perfect but there's a lot to be said for a unit that's integrated into the bike instead of mounting a stand alone unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. It's kinda along the lines I was thinking. If I was going to look for a used bike, is there any difference between a 2005 through 2008?

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Other than colors there is not a whole lot different between 05-08. By 2005 most frame and cooling issues were resolved. I personally would look for a 2007 and up just because you may be able to find one with warranty left. I'm not sure if you have to be the original owner, but if not you could buy the extended warranty for another 4 years.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
i bought my 05, 10 months ago with 5,200 mi for 13,500.no abs,it has linked brakes.at that price i could add whatever i wanted.(and i did!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts