Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally ready for a Goldwing trike, and I would like to know the suggestions and opinions of the forum members as to the advantages or disadvantages of the GL1500 vs the GL1800 other than engine size. I would normally be riding solo, not pulling a trailer, and would be taking some long trips. The GL1500 would be less expensive to buy, generally speaking, and on a fixed income that appeals to me of course. Does the GL 1500 get better gas mileage, having a smaller engine? Is reverse available on the GL1500 (important to me) ? Are there more standard features on the GL1800 than on the GL1500, such as cruise, cb, radio with cd, etc. ? I'd appreciate any and every suggestion, opinion and recommendation. I look forward to joining the Gold Wing owners group real soon. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

The 1500 and 1800 get the same fuel economy. The 1800 has more features available, such as CD player and Navigation, depending on the model. Reverse is definitely available on the 1500, just not on the Interstate model.
If you get an Aspencade in the 1500 you will get a lot of the features, an SE comes fully loaded.

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Yes to what they have all said, plus you'll find the GL1500 more spacious than the 1800.
Now the trike end can be interesting. Do you want solid axle or independent suspension?
Taking long trips, you may want an auxiliary fuel cell. Are you thinking about a used trike? Converting a GL to a trike?
Check here for dealers in your area: www.trikecorral.com

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a 96 aspencade 1500, would not trade even for an 1800. Also, mine is triked out. Am getting right at 35 mpg holding it about 60. Over 60 it drops somewhat. Would definately recommend independent suspension on the trike. I have a solid axle and wish I had gone the other way. However, with the aspencade I have, Stereo radio, tape player, intercom, cb radio and have put on a garmin GPS with a handle bar holder. Don't know what else I could want. The wife loves it also, if that helps. lol

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Aspencade or SE are both great choices for a trike.
Independent suspension is very nice.
What brand of conversion are you looking at?

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Motortrike is good. You may also find a Roadsmith/Trikeshop unit good too, it has a long wheel base.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.