Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a trailer hitch on my 2012. Which hitch should I look at? I want the ability to tow both ball hitch trailers as well as the pin hitch type (Bushtec)

I guess there are a few different manufacturers? I'll have to browse the Gold Wing accessory sites, I guess.

What is your suggestion?

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you ever want to tow a Bushtec trailer, then get a Bushtec hitch. The pin is bolted on so you can swap it out for a ball when you need. As far as which hitch is actually better, I don't have any idea. Kury and Bushtec both make a hitch for a wing, I assume there are others.
I will eventually buy a new Bushtec trailer, so I went with the Bushtec hitch assembly.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Joe. Dougiep2012 just posted a picture of his 2012 hitch on this thread:http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8427
Could you tell me where you got that ball set-up? I need to raise my trailer tongue and I haven't ever seen a raised ball like that. I assume it's a ball but can't tell because of the cover you have on it. Anyway, its a good idea and I would like some information about where you got it, and how much, and how tall is it. Would you have a picture of it without the "cover"? Thanks.....DW:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Kury 2012 hitch

Just talked with Kuryakyn about the 2012 hitch. Even though it is listed in their catalog, it will not be available until 3rd quarter of 2012. Don't know why they listed it unless it was to get your money (pay in advance) and then you are stuck with theirs.
I hope this one is better than the one for the Harley. The instructions were about 60% wrong. Several of the parts they talked about either weren't there or you couldn't do what they said. As an example, One of the instructions was to rotate the air valve for the rear shocks out of the way. When I called and asked how to do that since the valve has a pin the locks it into place, they said "Oh, well just remove the valve and grind the pin off. The instructions are wrong, we are working on an update." Working on an upgrade? And I am supposed to install this hitch with an out of date set of instruction?
Then, when I called about a mistake on the "plug and play" wiring, the fellow on the phone said to simply short the turn and brake light wires together!!!!!! When I questioned this, his comment was, "Look, I'm the tech rep, I know what I'm doing". I called back and talked with another tech rep who informed me what I already knew, that would not work. He did sort it out, but also said the instruction were wrong.
So, good luck with the Kury hitch. I am seriously considering the Rivco hitch, but am waiting on a response as to whether the rear tire can be removed with the hitch installed....

Jeff

·
Registered
105 Posts
I put this Bushtech on mine, it was very time consuming and directions are not real clear. You need the right tools and there are at least two places that care must be taken or you can ruin the threads on the bike. bushtech.JPG

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Well, I put the Kury on my 07 and had no problem. Watched their video even though it was lacking in many respects, but it and the instructions made it an easy install. And Yes, at least on the 07, the rear tire can be removed without taking the hitch body off.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, I put the Kury on my 07 and had no problem. Watched their video even though it was lacking in many respects, but it and the instructions made it an easy install. And Yes, at least on the 07, the rear tire can be removed without taking the hitch body off.
I had the Kury on my previous 1800 and the install was only an hour, the 12 model as a different install. I would guess thats why Kury doesnt have one yet. The Bushtech has solid thin steel arms that slide between the rear bags and inner fender that requires a magicians touch. I havn't tried yet but I am pretty sure the tire will drop down through my table-lift without removal.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just put the Bushtec pin hitch on my 2010. Instructions leave a lot to be desired but I did find posted pictures on line which were a big help. Installation then went pretty easy. I bought the Spartan. Its my first trailer. I loaded it with my camping gear and went for my first trailer ride. Awesome set-up. I couldn't feel the trailer behind me. I can't wait for my first trip. I say Bushtec all the way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ball drop?

Well,I have pretty much decided to go with the RIVCO hitch ($268 Wingstuff) on my 2012 wing to tow my Bunkhouse. Can anyone with experience tell me if I should go with the 3" drop or the 6" drop? I don't want to order it until I can tell them which drop to get.
Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well,I have pretty much decided to go with the RIVCO hitch ($268 Wingstuff) on my 2012 wing to tow my Bunkhouse. Can anyone with experience tell me if I should go with the 3" drop or the 6" drop? I don't want to order it until I can tell them which drop to get.
Thanks, Jeff
Before I bought my Bushtech I called Rivco to see when they would be available, they were very nice on the phone, I would call them and see what they recommend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rivco Hitch

I put the Rivco Hitch on my 2012. I got the wiring from Electrical Connection. The wiring was pretty easy. The hitch looks good and has a nice chrome finish. There are two braces on this hitch that you have to wedge and twist to get them up to the area under the seat. Takes some patience. You also have to cut a hole in the rear panel just below the license plate. Kit comes with a template for this. Used a Dremel to cut it out. It's a nice hitch and I am very pleased with it. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts