Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2003 VTX 1800 that is all "tricked out"...power comander, lots of chrome, V&H pipes, light bar, windshield, etc. I've been wanting a Gold WIng for many years, but never have even riden one!

I have been looking at the 09 and 10 models and am confused. First on the color...I liked the metallic red that was offered in 08 but the 10 red is not quite the same. THe yellow is a nice option...the black and titaniun are kinda bland.
Dont even know differernce between 09 and the 10 models

The big tech question for you pros is the ABS one. I've heard good things about this and others say you don't need it? I don't want to spend this much for a bike and find out I should have went for the ABS. Part of the problem is, it comes with the navigaition, which I don't think I need?

ANy advice that you can give me before I buy would be appreciated

Thanks

Your thoughts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was also a VTX 1800 rider. But when I took my wife on my brother in laws wing, there was no turning back. She loved it and so did I. I did not know you could ride all day and be so at ease. I recently purchaced a "08" GL1800 Caliente Red and absolutly love it. I never rode a bike with ABS but I dont see how you can stop any faster. This machine is great and it would be hard to improve... Of course thats my opinion. I wanted a "10" model also but found this "08" on Ebay with lost of extra and only 13 thous miles for 16500. save lots of money and only need a CB. Anyway good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
I'll use the Socratic method :You didn't get this far on ABS, so why do you think it necessary now ? As far as color : You don't ride color, others view your color. If you want " visibility " to others ( for safety reasons ) than yellow is the choice ( or White in my case ). If your looking at a '10 model, the red works for me.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
Welcome & greetings from Florida.
Look into a basic GL-1800 and choose the color you like best.
If you have friends with Gl-1800's one with and the other without ABS, ask if you can take their bike for a short ride.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
When I bought my 08 in 08 I bought the base model, didn't want ABS and I really didn't want the heated option that Honda has that hardly ever works. And the Honda GPS is a joke. $199.00 for the last map upgrade and now there is talk Garmin will not support it anymore. Buy after market heated grips and a Garmin GPS that will do a lot more than the Honda one for a lot less. There is no different between 09 and 10's except color. On the 09 & 10 Honda put a tire pressure monitoring system and XM radio. O.K. I know some of you have it but IMHO the TPMS is almost useless, it's just a light and it doesn't tell you which tire is low or how low it is. BUT it will let you know there is a problem. But I think you have to ride a certain distance before you get a readout, no good if your tire is low when you start out. My adfvice to you is find a nice used one with low miles and a lot of goodies and buy it and be happy. Oh hey I have one like that for sale :D :D :D :D
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263508

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
If I did not have a Wing already, I would buy joe's bike. We did all we could do here to frustrate his sale; not for his benefit but for ours.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from Pa.

There is no difference between the 09 and 10 Goldwings except the colors. Both were manufactured at the same time in Marysville, OH. Then production was shut down and transferred to Japan. Differences between 08 and 09 are the addition of heated seats and grips and the addition of the Tire Pressure Management System (TPMS) as standard equipment.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Actually, the TPMS does flash immediately, and then will shut off if the pressure rises to within operating perameters. the GPS is a bit on the (ok crappy) side for functionality, but better than no GPS IMO. There is a real disparity between Honda and Garmin (a stupid issue if you ask me) as to what the system is and should be and what the solutions to making it better are...pass the buck big time...stupid SOB's on both their part. The ABS is something each individual rider has to evaluate for themselves; I for one wouldn't be without it. Judge for yourself and enjoy.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Welcome from Seattle

Welcome from Seattle. My color choice has always been on the best condition used bike I could find.

The color was never a problem. It is what it can do for me that is the real issue.

However, after I buy a bike, I do pay attention to the accessories color matching detail.

My yellow Joe Rocket jacket will ruin any color scheme on any bike!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome from Seattle. My color choice has always been on the best condition used bike I could find.

The color was never a problem. It is what it can do for me that is the real issue.

However, after I buy a bike, I do pay attention to the accessories color matching detail.

My yellow Joe Rocket jacket will ruin any color scheme on any bike!
Unless you get a Pearl Yellow GW!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts