Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 GL1800 didn't come with a CB radio. i see several choices on the net. Which one should I buy, and from where?

·
Banned
5 Posts
My 2012 GL1800 didn't come with a CB radio. i see several choices on the net. Which one should I buy, and from where?
GL2way without a doubt, feature packed and identically plug-n-play as the OEM. But you may have to wait as Pete (bikemp3/gl2way) indicates that he is working on getting the new-style connectors. Since the 2012 uses a different connection, you can not use any of the older OEM CBs, so if you do chose to go OEM make sure it is the right one. Pete did indicate he might be offering a cable to permit the earlier OEM CBs to connect to the 2012 Wing though ...

Ignore me, I'm a moron!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm fairly new here. I cannot decipher your reply. Where do I buy this unit you suggest?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The company is called Bike mp3. Here is the link:http://bikemp3.com/GL2WAY-Advanced-CB-System-HGW-CBI-V01.htm They make an aftermarket CB that is "plug n play". I think the 2012 uses a different connector and the owner of Bike mp3 is in the process of making a new cable. If you would like to look at a 2001 with a cb, call me and Ill be glad to show you mine and answer any questions you have. Send me a email at: [email protected] and Ill send you my phone number.

Bob

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The GL2way is available at Wingstuff also. I'm seriously considering it over the OEM unit. There is also a single 'splitter' antenna so no need for a second whip and another hole not drilled.;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
A Honda mechanic I know wondered if these units have filters to prevent noise from the fans and the fuel pump. I have no idea and wonder if others know about this? I too am interested in a CB purchase. Is the Sierra the same as the one on WingStuff? If not which is better?
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
A Honda mechanic I know wondered if these units have filters to prevent noise from the fans and the fuel pump. I have no idea and wonder if others know about this? I too am interested in a CB purchase. Is the Sierra the same as the one on WingStuff? If not which is better?
Thank you.
Units are the same. I suggested Sierra because I believe they have developed a superior splitter for their single antenna.
The GL2way does not need the filters that the Honda CB needs!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Thanks for that tf, just about seals the deal for me.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go with the Honda OEM. Ease of installation and cb intergrates with the rest of the audio system. Install the antenna, place the CB under the radio, then plug in the cb powerplug and audioplug to the radio and then connect the antenna. CB is crystal clear and doesn't appear to require any other noise filters. HDL has the CB and antenna on sale.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Go with the Honda OEM. Ease of installation and cb intergrates with the rest of the audio system. Install the antenna, place the CB under the radio, then plug in the cb powerplug and audioplug to the radio and then connect the antenna. CB is crystal clear and doesn't appear to require any other noise filters. HDL has the CB and antenna on sale.
Not bashing the poster. You may not be aware of the capabilities of the GL2way and it's integration into the Wing. It is still cheaper than the OEM with many more features and basically installs the same as the OEM. Not sure what year Wing you are talking about the CB mounting under the radio-has to be a 2012 because neither the Honda CB nor the GL2way mounts under the radio on any previous GL1800:confused:
There is now connectors available so the GL2way can be plugged into the 2012 Wing. You need to read the info on the GL2way web sight.
I can not believe anyone would want the Honda unit after reading about the GL2way!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does the OEM mount in the trunk as well?
I was reading about the LD2way and it sounds interesting and it great that its cheaper. I just can't deceide if I want the splitter or the 2nd antenna.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Does the OEM mount in the trunk as well?
I was reading about the LD2way and it sounds interesting and it great that its cheaper. I just can't deceide if I want the splitter or the 2nd antenna.
Both mount in the "pocket" below the floor of the trunk.
It's GL2way - not LD2way
I like the balanced look of 2 antennas. However, using the Sierra Electronics splitter antenna means you don't have to drill holes for the 2nd antenna.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I haven't seen this question asked anywhere so....

What about if you have the CD Changer? Where does the CB radio go then?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was looking to buy the antenna from Sierra - no drilling another whole - but now Wing Stuff has the unit and the antenna combo on sale for $498 I think it is, so the saving of the extra $100 means going to the balanced look of two antenna for me.

·
Registered
405 Posts
There was a used oem for sale a few days ago over on the gl1800riders.com board for about $450. It came with the filters. I bought mine used 2 years ago from a member of that board for $400 and it has been flawless. It is an oem unit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.