Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other day I was riding along a quiet rural two lane road at the posted 40 mph and was approaching a green light with a large Dodge dually pickup sitting at the side street. Evidently the dually had some urgent place to be because he kept inching forward several times as I came closer. Just as I passed by he made a hard right to just miss my back tire and then accelerated hard up so close behind me that I could feel the heat from his radiator. At this point I was trapped behind another car and the rattle of this idiot's diesel with no place to go because of the oncoming traffic. Trying to stay cool, I finally was able to turn into a parking lot and (unbelievably) there was a policeman getting into his patrol car. When I pointed out the pickup and quickly explained what had happened the cop took off and told me to stay where I was. After about 20 minutes I finally gave up on any response and left.

Later I actually saw the same patrolman coming out of a restaurant so I pulled in to ask what happened. The cop said the guy driving the dually told him that I had been speeding while running through a red light and he'd almost hit me. Not only that, the policeman gave me a verbal warning and said that I'd have been given a ticket if he'd seen the incident.

Where's the police when you need them ?.... :)

Michael

·
Registered
145 Posts
Buy a GoPro camera. Video is great evidence, but then again it can work against you if you have anything incriminating on it :D

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Helmet Cam -

Hey Marty, One of those Helmet Cam's would probably be a good safety precaution for everyone who rides. Especially in case of an accident or (in my situation) to rewind an incident for review by the police. I couldn't help but wonder later if the driver of the dually was a buddy of the policeman since this all happened within a very small community.

Has anyone tried to duct tape their Smart Phone to the side of your helmet ?

Michael :)

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
I use a gopro hero 2 on my wing on a ram mount. Great videos

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Plain and simple the guy in the pickup was a jerk; the cop was likely his cousin. Sorry pal, you got the dirty end of the stick!:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/kasler-protection.html

Cops can only do what is allowed by law. Cops can not take your word for something and go write a ticket, just as cant take the other guys word and write a ticket(have no idea why you got yelled at??). The same situation and you were a cop you would not be able to do anything. How would you make a traffic stop on your wing,where is your ticket book??
There, regrettably is no law against being a dumb AZZ. The guy in the Dodge was a idiot and you did the right thing by gettin yourself out of danger.

Ride safe :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
" How would you make a traffic stop on your wing,where is your ticket book??"

Not that I'm suggesting it, however, in Cali at least, Yes. Every citizen has the Right to perform a Citizens Arrest for a public offense committed in his presence. In reality what this means for a driving offense is that the LEO would write the cite and you would sign/co-sign it. It's generally referred to as a third party citation. You, the LEO and the other guy would then go to court at a fixed date/time and you would present your case. It's actually quite easy to do.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
" How would you make a traffic stop on your wing,where is your ticket book??"

Not that I'm suggesting it, however, in Cali at least, Yes. Every citizen has the Right to perform a Citizens Arrest for a public offense committed in his presence. In reality what this means for a driving offense is that the LEO would write the cite and you would sign/co-sign it. It's generally referred to as a third party citation. You, the LEO and the other guy would then go to court at a fixed date/time and you would present your case. It's actually quite easy to do.
Remind me to stay the heck outta California then, will ya!
:eek:
Mark

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Sometimes you have to be carful what you wish for.

My brother has always been a Dudley-Do-Right when it comes to catching people being an idiot on the streets. He and I rode up behind a policeman one day while we were out riding our bikes. At a Red light, the office turned on his emergency lights and drove through the intersection just to join up with a couple of buddies at a donut shop down the street. My brother insisted to go into the donut shop to get his name and badge number. My brother reported it to the officer's supervisor and a couple of weeks later my brother got a ticket for going 5 mph over the speed limit by the same officer.

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
And people wonder why, in a revolution, the cops are the first to go.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I can't tell you how many times I turned on my lights, only for the call to be cancelled! I don't know that the brother getting a ticket did or did not have anything to do with the complaint, but I do know that many times people jump to conclusions based on very flimsy or biased reasoning.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Don't Pay Nearly Enough -

I can't tell you how many times I turned on my lights, only for the call to be cancelled! I don't know that the brother getting a ticket did or did not have anything to do with the complaint, but I do know that many times people jump to conclusions based on very flimsy or biased reasoning.
The difference in size between the back end of a Goldwing and the grill of a tailgating dually is a bit unsettling to say the least. When I had initially asked the patrolman to check out this overly aggressive diesel driver, I'd thought perhaps this fool was either intoxicated or intent in making his escape after a bank robbery. :) In this case the old adage that many drivers reflect their personality through the vehicle they drive may apply. I noticed that on the back of another dually was a bumper sticker that said "How's my driving - Call [email protected]#[email protected]#$.

Just my opinion as far as the DPS is concerned - they don't get paid near enough for all the grief they encounter on a daily basis.

Michael

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
The office didn't offer and explanation why he turn his lights on. If he felt like he didn't owe an explanation to a tax payer then something’s wrong. The other part that I didn't mention was the same office had received previous similar disciplinary action before according to his supervisor.

This wasn't directed to police officers in general.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Pretty much every state has a citizen arrest law! Not very much use of it though. Anytime a person tailgates me I just flip a switch and the red and blue lights start blinking! They fall WAY back! Gotta love my lights!

·
Banned
95 Posts
When I was an active Law enforcement officer, before they found out what I am, you would be surprised at how many times I turned on my lights, only for the call to be cancelled. I can tell you that it is frustrating. But I can tell you this I have had calls that required us you cut out lights and yelp 1 mile or so away as to avoid the suspect from fleeing. I even had it happen that on one really bad call I put my lights on went through a light. pulled into the Dunkin Donuts. went in with my partner and caught the suspect that had been trying to rob them. Only to have some High almighty come up demanding my Name and badge number because I misused my lights in his eyes.

As Officers there are different codes that are used. code 1 2 3 in my case they went something like this.

Code 1 no lights, no yelp, no speed (ASAP)
Code 2 Lights and speed only
Code 3 Lights, speed, yelp

not that was only the base line each code has sub codes to them code 3a for example went light yelp speed, light and yelp cut 2 miles from location. this was used for domestic type cases where someone might be in danger. or any case where the suspect is still on the scene and is dangerous.

No as to the officer that you spoke to i an unsure why he did have you follow him or ride with him as you where the witness. and could have been or become a victim. But if he gave you both warnings then most likely he was unable to verify who was telling the truth and who wasn't and just wanted to scare you both in-case you where in the wrong as well. Please don't take it to heart the officer was most likely trying to do what he thought was right and as bike riders even though we might ride the safe and posted speed many people still think that we speed and attach to us the same stigma given to rice rocket riders.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
The office didn't offer and explanation why he turn his lights on. If he felt like he didn't owe an explanation to a tax payer then something’s wrong. The other part that I didn't mention was the same office had received previous similar disciplinary action before according to his supervisor.

This wasn't directed to police officers in general.
Say your brother was ticketed for exceeding the posted speed limit by 5 MPH. He was breaking the law and rightfully ticketed! I would have done the same since their was a chance your brother would play Dudley Do-right and register a complaint for my failure to perform my job by ignoring his speed. I was trained that if a citizen complained to me about my conduct or performance to refer them to my superior and let him handle any explanation that he felt was necessary, also my superior would not share with you any information regarding any past complaints or my job performance. I have worn many hats in my working career and I have to say a Police Officer is the most unappreciated public servant ever! He is constantly in danger and deals mostly with societies low-lifes and expected to be something more than human with no allowances for mistakes according to those who have never worn a badge. I'm not saying all Officers are good honest men, but the huge majority are commited to being good officers, but 100% of them make mistakes on the job just like millions of other people!

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Say your brother was ticketed for exceeding the posted speed limit by 5 MPH. He was breaking the law and rightfully ticketed! I would have done the same since their was a chance your brother would play Dudley Do-right and register a complaint for my failure to perform my job by ignoring his speed. I was trained that if a citizen complained to me about my conduct or performance to refer them to my superior and let him handle any explanation that he felt was necessary, also my superior would not share with you any information regarding any past complaints or my job performance. I have worn many hats in my working career and I have to say a Police Officer is the most unappreciated public servant ever! He is constantly in danger and deals mostly with societies low-lifes and expected to be something more than human with no allowances for mistakes according to those who have never worn a badge. I'm not saying all Officers are good honest men, but the huge majority are commited to being good officers, but 100% of them make mistakes on the job just like millions of other people!
You're right! People told my brother that it doesn't alway pay to be such a Dudley-Do-Right. It was funny in a way that his pay-back came from the officer he reported. The officer did eventually a year or so later lose his job for some reason or other. One of the things we found out later was that the officer in question wrote a citation with every traffic stop.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I knew I liked you for a reason...other than motorcycles. Well said.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
if he gave you both warnings then most likely he was unable to verify who was telling the truth and who wasn't and just wanted to scare you both in-case you where in the wrong as well.
Hey Charlaine, I'd have loved to have been given the opportunity to tag along with the officer and hear the dually driver's version of what happened. There is no way he could have looked me in the eye and repeat his story. Also if the officer had really wanted a 3rd party witness all he had to do was ask, I'd been happy to chase one down. There were a couple of cars behind me that the dually cut in front of as he pulled out into traffic.

I realize that this turned out to be an uneventful incident. But if the driver of that dually had bumped my bike (which he was near enough to do) things could have turned out very different for me. At this point I have just chalked it up to another jackass who got away with lying to the police.

Michael

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.