Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first off I am working on a 1985 Honda GoldWing 1200 Limited. This bike has 25,000 miles that was put on it in the first two years of its life. Then she went into storage for the past 20 some years. It was in perfect running condition when it was put into storage. I did clean out the fuel enough to get it to start and idle around a year ago but now it time to do it right.
So I know I have to remove both wheels and replace both tires and inspect the brakes, and brake system. I also plan to replace the timing belts, fluids, and whatever else that I find that needs it, hoses, wires, ect. Also I noticed the front fork seals leaked so I will be replacing the seals there as well.
So I’ve never worked on a bike like this before so please correct me if I’m wrong, that’s why I’m here. BTW you don’t have to be a pro to have an opinion so please weigh in. If you were going to do this job, where would you start and in what order would you do things?
Are there any special tools I would need?
Does the whole exoskeleton need to come off for the above mentioned tasks (would that make it easier) and if so what’s the best order to achieve this?

I plan to;
1) Get It on the center stand.
2) Remove the seat, side covers and false tank.
3) Remove the side trunks (and the rear trunk I think) and rear fender.
4) Remove the front disc covers, disc cover lights, front brakes and fender.
At this point I will see what else I will need to remove to flush out and replace all gaskets for the entire (front/back) brake system. Also I will flush the water system, drain the motor oil, drain and flush the fuel system and change the gear oil in the drive train. (did I miss anything yet?)
Do you need to pull the motor out to replace the timing belts? (would it make it easier?)
I am working on a limited budget but I want it done right, I want it to be reliable again without breaking the bank. In your opinion what kind of price do you think I am looking at now, doing the above mentioned myself in my shop?
How much to take it to a dealership shop?
Again all opinions are welcome and thank you for time and thoughts on this matter.
Darryl
:cool:

·
Registered
263 Posts
First,welcome to the forum from Florida. You sound quite ready and willing to tackle the beast. I own a 1500SE,so i can't delve into what you might need to do or not do to accomplish a certain task on this bike. Although i'm pretty certain the engine can stay in the frame for the T.Belt work. I am a 33yr.car wrench so i believe my opinion may hold some weight. As far as budget,the only thing i would let the dealer do is the fork rebuild,to do that job safely and properly requires at least a special tool or two,and some experience. Where to start? I would go with the fuel system top to bottom.If the carbs are junk you wanna know that up front.Those could be your biggest expense of the whole redo. If you can't get it to run proper then why continue? Just my point of view. There are plenty of people on here that can help you with all aspects of your task at hand. Take your time & just do it once. Good Luck. Ken '941500SE

·
Registered
201 Posts
The 85 LTD is Fuel injected with a throttle Body system not carburetors.The timing belts
can be changed without removing the engine.You mentioned ordering the Clymer manual,that will be worth Gold to you when working on your LTD. I have a Clymer manual and would'nt be without it. I also have the original LTD owners manual which has a few details in it which the Clymer manual does'nt. There is a detailed section on the injection system in the Clymer manual as well as a section at the back for just the LTD. including comprehensive wiring diagrams and schematics for the LTD. which is needed with all the electronics on the digital dash. The owners manual details the
buttons and there uses whereas the Clymers manual omits that part.I was able to fix a
cruise control problem on mine by viewing the wiring diagrams and learning how each microswitch worked in conjunction with the brake and clutch levers.
Sounds like you have a handle on what to look for already also changing fluides,tires,
brakes, and so on. Good luck with it. There's a few LTD. owners that are quite knowledgeable on here that haven't posted yet,they likely will.

-Robert-

·
Registered
201 Posts
I uploaded some pics to the following -----> http://usera.imagecave.com/dadswieser/1985_1200LTD_Pr/
There is quite a number of added accessories on your LTD ,the original owner dropped a good chunk of money on it. I see you
have the CB too which was a factory option.Good looking
LTD there, you should be proud of her when you're finished getting
her roadworthy. I took mine for a ride today again, she likes to
run, I was doing 80mph smooth as silk before realizing my
speed , gotta pay attention more I guess :)My LTD. lights up
quicker than my previous 83 Interstate ,must be the injection
system whereas the 1100 had 4 Carbs.
My son has two 82Aspencades and said the same thing when he rode my LTD.

-Robert-

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for greetings and thoughts guys. I will certainly keep you all posted as I go. I have been patiently waiting for the book to get here before I start, it’s hard. I might try begging the boss for the $$ needed for the bike lift (Harbor Freight has one for $99.00) it’s on the stand now. I’m also bringing home a bunch of lg to med boxes and newspaper to pack up the exoskeleton as it comes off so not to scatter or scratch things up for now. Haven’t lifted a tool yet :eek:(…. Jus prepping at this point.

BSatr, thanks for the props on the bike, I am proud to own her already. I actually got this from my Father-n-law several years ago. I was told they put her away back in the day to raise the kids, so the pressure is on for me to make her as grand today as she was the day he drove her off the showroom floor. My goal in the end is to let him and my Mother-n-law take a nice cruse on it on a nice day (all three back together again after 20yrs).
Buzzard, is there a one stop shopping place for this kind of crossover info? I still don’t even have a regular maintenance schedule yet. How many miles really breaks in a bike like this? 25,500 is where Im at now.

The first thing I learned about my Wing....... “Left hand on left grip, right hand on passengers left hand grip, right foot on center stand arm, then shove that stand down into the ground like there is no tomorrow” worked great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the concern and the consideration BStar, “No she aint my first….. she’s my biggest, but not my first” (funny the last time I said that I was marring my first wife)… J/K. She will be my first Wing tho. I first cut my teeth on an old motor scooter in high school, (Yamaha something, I cant even remember) I found her out back behind the barn. I put just enough love into her to get her to carry me to school and back for the year, but it didn’t last long (I was young). Then in my early 20’s I picked up an old CX500 with a full windjammer faring and back tool box. I used this as a daily driver for 5 years in Tacoma WA, so needless to say I wasn’t just a fair weather rider back then. I learned most of my mistakes on this ol girl, “what to do” “what not to do”, laid her down a few times. I learned what asphalt grinding across the helmet sounds like. She took a lot of abuse by my hand, and a lot of neglect, till one morning I woke up in a drunken stooper….. and she was gone. Turns out I left her at the bar the night before cause I was too drunk to drive home, never seen her after that. I like to think she hooked up with a good ol boy bar fly type that saw the potential in her that I didn’t. Now they live together out on some lonely highway and share intimate cool evening rides together. Reality is the local cho-low boys probably got a hold of her, chopped her down and raked her out. I try not to think about it.
Currently I own a 1981 Yamaha XJ650 Maxum. It’s a nice lil bike, but just too small. I’ve had her for about 7 years and currently carry my endorsement but I only ride her once or twice a year. My wife won’t get on this one because it’s too small, but she did say if I got the GoldWing running she would ride. So that’s a no brainer, with the kids almost all moved out (four kids/ two moved out) me and Mamma wanna do more things just the two of us. I like to ride, just not alone. My plan is to sell the Yamaha 650 to fund the GoldWing project, It’s on CraigsList now, I’m hoping to be ready to ride the Wing by August of this year. So yea there’s my story, sorry I didn’t share it sooner, it’s just my past. And one thing I have learned about the past is, it’s just there for reference. It does you no good to dwell on it, and you can’t live in it, and it don’t pay to brag about it, you just have to pull whatever lessons you can from it, then move on.

BTW I was just kidding about the first wife thing. I actually married my High School sweetheart about 20 years ago, and she’s been bossing me around ever since.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I appreciate your honesty and your history with MC's , all is well. Frankly I was concerned that you had some riding experience before taking on a Wing. We had a situation a few months back where a person with no experience on MC's was asking for advice on riding and starting out on a Goldwing and the posts were almost unanimous in advising him to start off with a small bike like a 250cc until he got some riding experience.Many of us here have been riding for a lifetime and we know in depth to give good and safe advice to other riders and potential riders,that is where I was
coming from by asking a bit of riding history. You're going to love riding your wing and by the way I had a CX500 too up until my first 83 GL1100 any assistance or questions about your LTD. I'd be glad to try to help.

-Robert-

·
Registered
201 Posts
1985 GL1200 LTD facts
Length = 98.62 inches
Wheelbase = 63.39 inches
Seat Height = 30.7 inches
Weight = 771.0 pounds 87.0 pounds heavier than the 1983 GL1100

1 - 11 of 11 Posts