Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to play my MP3 on my '98 1500 but can't find a plug to go to. Have looked under left front pocket where someone told me to look but can't see anything. Can anyone tell me where the plug would be that would get me sound from my MP3 player to my audio system. :(

·
Registered
514 Posts
GoldDigger, you don't specify the model GL you have, GL15 base, Aspy or SE. I think the Aspy had the aux jack. I added an FM modulator to my bike (SE), specifically for the ipod, others have used the cassette adapter type.

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
The plug you are searching for is used on the 'Interstate' model; if you have the SE or Aspencade the cassette adapter is used.
I have an Aspencade and there is no auxiliary jack to the stereo. I have the cassette adapter on mine and it works well.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Typical for me...wrong again! Thanks for the correction Trike lady, I knew it wasn't the SE, I had a 50/50 chance on the interstate/aspy, didn't know when they dropped the interstate.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MP3 plug

I have a '98 GL 1500A Aspy and don't see an aux plug. What do you mean by "cassette adapter?" Is that a plug?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Trike Lady set me straight, the AUX plug was on the interstate model, and the cassette adapter is exactly that, an adapter. There is a cassette tape that you put into the bikes tape deck, it has a wire that runs from the cassette and plugs into your MP3 output (2.5mm plug). The MP3 is interfaced through the cassette into your audio system. Some have good luck with the cassette adapter others don't. You can search the forum for other threads, but I think the downside to the cassette adapter can be the cassette, tape heads or the player itself, degradation of any one could affect the input qaulity. I have an FM modulator specifically for my ipod, it interfaces into the audio system through the FM antenna, it does require a 12v power source. Turn on the power, set the stereo to a preset radio station and turn on the tunes. Since my device is made for the ipod it does not use the output jack but rather the sync/charge connection on the bottom of the ipod. I use a sport armband to secure the ipod to the tunnel cover, I can see what's playing and have control of it even when riding.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
I have a '98 GL 1500A Aspy and don't see an aux plug. What do you mean by "cassette adapter?" Is that a plug?
It's a transmitter in the shape of a cassette, that goes into the cassette player and transmits, you connect an audio device to the lead from the cassette adapter and it plays through the sound system.
The picture below shows the typical unit used.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Typical for me...wrong again! Thanks for the correction Trike lady, I knew it wasn't the SE, I had a 50/50 chance on the interstate/aspy, didn't know when they dropped the interstate.
According to the history of the GL1500, the last Interstate model was 1996. http://www.goldwing.gr/history.html

Trike Lady set me straight, the AUX plug was on the interstate model, and the cassette adapter is exactly that, an adapter. There is a cassette tape that you put into the bikes tape deck, it has a wire that runs from the cassette and plugs into your MP3 output (2.5mm plug). The MP3 is interfaced through the cassette into your audio system. Some have good luck with the cassette adapter others don't. You can search the forum for other threads, but I think the downside to the cassette adapter can be the cassette, tape heads or the player itself, degradation of any one could affect the input qaulity. I have an FM modulator specifically for my ipod, it interfaces into the audio system through the FM antenna, it does require a 12v power source. Turn on the power, set the stereo to a preset radio station and turn on the tunes. Since my device is made for the ipod it does not use the output jack but rather the sync/charge connection on the bottom of the ipod. I use a sport armband to secure the ipod to the tunnel cover, I can see what's playing and have control of it even when riding.:cool:
Yes, the AUX plug was only on the Interstate model since it was the least expensive Wing and had no cassette player. It's basically an adapter that allow you to use the cassette player for other audio devices. Some people get a good one and others are unfortunate and get a bad one. Mine is a good one and works well. A lot of times it depends upon people's finances and how much they have to spend also or they just don't want to invest in costly radio modifications and this is the best and cheapest way to go. I used one on my Harley Dresser with a CD player, sadly the vibration ruined the portable CD player.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cassette adapter

Thanks Trike Lady, I have had one of these in my car years ago but wasn't sure it was the same since we were dealing with motorcycles. Got one and it works fine. Have to put the bike back together now and see if my rear speakers will work. BTW, I got an original manual for my '98 Aspy, is that the manual I need for servicing and working on it? You mentioned one in previous post. I do all of my work on all of my vehicles and want a good shop manual. Can you be more specific as to wording in title. Thanks for all of the help.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Gold,
I bought a shark amp/radio for 80 bucks online. I have plugged it in to try it out and have friends very happy with it. My winter project includes installing this and putting the jack in the right glove box for security. I dont' think the amp will do much the speakers won't take it but it is inexpensive and very small so it will fit somewhere inside the fairing or wherever.

I hope to tap into the tape deck wiring so I can turn the console to tape and then have the mp3.

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Thanks Trike Lady, I have had one of these in my car years ago but wasn't sure it was the same since we were dealing with motorcycles. Got one and it works fine. Have to put the bike back together now and see if my rear speakers will work. BTW, I got an original manual for my '98 Aspy, is that the manual I need for servicing and working on it? You mentioned one in previous post. I do all of my work on all of my vehicles and want a good shop manual. Can you be more specific as to wording in title. Thanks for all of the help.
You would want to get from the Honda dealer the GL1500 Factory Service Manual for your specific year. These manuals also cover electrical on the Wing. You can also get videos for servicing the GL-1500 from www.illustratedpowersports.com and these show the actual disassembly/assembly of the GL1500.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is a joke just waitin' to happen so instead of saying anything I'll just clam up,.

Since when did the mp3 fall under Engine section questions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts