Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where to go for a fuel filter for my '84 GL1200 Interstate that does not charge an arm and a leg?
I contacted my local Honda dealer and they said they have an OEM filter in stock and it will cost me $28.06.
My initial reaction was.......ARE YOU KIDDING ME.......NEARLY THIRTY BUCKS FOR A STINKIN FUEL FILTER!!!!!!!!
I thought there has to be distributors out there that charge far less.

Secondly, can I just use any high quality aftermarket inline filter of similar size? Do I have to use an OEM filter for some technical reason?

Thanks for your help!

Harkgold :confused:

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
I don't know if this is an isolated incident or if others have had it happen. A gentleman I recently spoke with used a Emgo brand fuel filter on his bike and the filtering material inside somehow broke up/disintegrated. After the small mess he wound up buying the OEM. You may find an OEM filer at a better price from one of the forum sponsors.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if this is an isolated incident or if others have had it happen. A gentleman I recently spoke with used a Emgo brand fuel filter on his bike and the filtering material inside somehow broke up/disintegrated. After the small mess he wound up buying the OEM. You may find an OEM filer at a better price from one of the forum sponsors.
THANKS FOR THE TIP TRIKE LADY!
Harkgold

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
most auto parts stores carry a universal 1/4 inch fuel filter, mine came from advanced autoparts and my niece got hers from autozone

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i for got but i had a napa gold 3011 in there before i got the filter from advanced auto parts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

i for got but i had a napa gold 3011 in there before i got the filter from advanced auto parts
This morning I picked up a #FF6404 Luber-finer aftermarket filter for $3.49, new stainless steel hose clamps, and two feet of new 1/4" fuel line at Autozone.......... all for under $10.00.

And then some of these dealerships wonder why they can't stay open.
They would have a much better chance of staying in existence if at first they didn't insult the customers intelligence by charging three prices for things.

My dad has always been a Cadillac car owner and I swear they probably have my dads picture up on the dealership wall indicating him as the most dreaded person to see walk through the door.
Cadillac, is another one that thinks because you own a Cadillac that you must be rollin in the dough and can afford to pay four prices for parts and service.

When my dad is given the bad news of the high cost of either a part or service work, his standard response is "No.......you must have me mistaken for someone else.....that may be the cost for somebody else......but that isn't MY cost! He then is usually greeted with a blank stare from the clerk who then goes to the manager who always seems to come back with a much better price.

I think if every person in America did this and challenged the ridiculous prices we are being charged for products and services we would force businesses to be much more competitive whether it is for a fuel filter or health insurance.

I will get off my soap box now.

Harkgold

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Dealers charge what they can get, most of the prices are set by the manufacturer but some will discount and some will not. A buddy has a Lexus SUV, the oil filter from Lexus is twice what he gets the same filter from a Honda dealer and the Honda dealer throws in a free crush washer.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Here is what Ron Ayers has for your fuel filter. I have found them to be about the cheapest on line for OEM parts

SKU: 261441
Mfg. Part Number: 16900-371-004
Your Price: $17.04
MSRP: $22.45
You Save: $5.41

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts

I don't know about their (Emgo) fuel filters, but their oil filters state on them not to extend change past 1500 miles. After seeing that I won't even install them on any of my bikes, I think I'll just throw them away! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i wouldn't buy an emgo filter of any kind,air, oil or fuel. i have never thought highly of emgo products

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
This is an older thread, but it still ruffles my feathers. Bear in mind that most online sellers have little to no inventory costs, no building to maintain and staff, no commercial (retail space) taxes to pay or triple net lease cost, and NO OVERHEAD other than their own home or garage that they are covering anyway. Yes there are exceptions but not many, and I don't include online sellers like Wingstuff or JP Cycles that are actual retailers and do warehouse most (but not all) of their products.
Here's some figures for you all to consider on a GL1200 fuel filter (Cdn $$). Cost (landed) including frieght $15.78; 'full' retail $21.71 (msrp). That's a gross margin of $5.93 or 27%. Pretty good until you factor in that it costs (on average across the country) any retail store operator a minimum of 16% of his sales volume to operate. That leaves 11% before taxes, and Revenue Canada (or the IRS) doesn't give discounts. When the smoke clears if you're a really good operator, you end up with about a 3% bottom line. That leaves me with 0.65 in clear profit and I haven't paid myself yet. And you want me to give you a discount?

Not saying, just saying...

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is an older thread, but it still ruffles my feathers. Bear in mind that most online sellers have little to no inventory costs, no building to maintain and staff, no commercial (retail space) taxes to pay or triple net lease cost, and NO OVERHEAD other than their own home or garage that they are covering anyway. Yes there are exceptions but not many, and I don't include online sellers like Wingstuff or JP Cycles that are actual retailers and do warehouse most (but not all) of their products.
Here's some figures for you all to consider on a GL1200 fuel filter (Cdn $$). Cost (landed) including frieght $15.78; 'full' retail $21.71 (msrp). That's a gross margin of $5.93 or 27%. Pretty good until you factor in that it costs (on average across the country) any retail store operator a minimum of 16% of his sales volume to operate. That leaves 11% before taxes, and Revenue Canada (or the IRS) doesn't give discounts. When the smoke clears if you're a really good operator, you end up with about a 3% bottom line. That leaves me with 0.65 in clear profit and I haven't paid myself yet. And you want me to give you a discount?

Not saying, just saying...
I agree with that statement, but I think most people are more pissed at the way auto/bike manufacturers themselves charge too much for the parts. Not necessarily angry with the vendor/dealer. Why am I going to get a genuine Honda fuel filter for $20 from an online vendor (bike bandit), when I can get an equal or better part from Napa (in the store not online) for 1/4 of the price?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts