Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey boys,
I'm just glad I have a mechanical question for you all to figure out. So here goes:

I don't always check my air pressure before I ride. However, my school decided to take today off and the weather is decent, so I of course wanted to take a short ride. I haven't ridden in near 10 days, so I thought I should check the pressure. Normal air loss over time is usually 5 to 7 lbs. The front tire showed 34 and then........the back tire showed 12. I took it off the center stand and yep, it was very low (so my gauge is accurate).
Here is the confusing part:
I aired the tire up and soak it with soapy water....Nothing!!! The stem, side walls.....Nothing!!!
SO!!!! Where is the leak?:anyone_sign:

·
Premium Member
23,671 Posts
You have a trough bucket ? If not, steal one from farmer Jones next door or one of Darleen's plastic plant troughs. You need to slowly rotate that rear tire in a bath tub.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,288 Posts
It's from the valve core, one of the balance beads has it stuck open.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
When was the last time you checked tire pressure ? If it was recently I would agree with the bead theory if longer I would look at the tire bead area. But as
much as I hate to admit it Chopin have the best solution for finding the leak.

Had a car tire that had a slow leak that I could never find. Did everything including cleaning bead area , remounting the tire, soaping it good and letting it
seat nothing. But about once a month it would need to be pumped up. Finally fixed the problem by selling the car.

·
Premium Member
17,174 Posts
If you have beads in the tire, when you check the pressure be sure the stem in on the bottom and to tap the valve stem with a wrench before you put the air gauge on, to knock any beads out of the stem.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
On rare occasions.......... during the tire construction...... the inside of the tire doesn't get a good seal job.... and it will slowly seep through the tire itself.......... some tire brands are more prone that others. Have had a car tire with this problem..... lost about 10psi per week.

But as others have said..... could just be the valve core.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Could you repost that ? I didn't have my hearing aids in.

BUT AS MUCH AS I HATE TO ADMIT IT CHOPIN HAS THE BEST SOLUTION FOR FINDING THE LEAK.

Does that work ?

·
Super Moderator
14,088 Posts
I find the change in temperatures from cold to hot and back to cold again we get this time of year messes with the tire pressures. Hope you figure out your problem.

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checked the pressure this morning and it had dropped from 35 to 32. Gonna have to keep a check on this rascal until I have it changed.

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you do the bucket bath yet ?

No!!!
"Darleen" doesn't have a planter trough and can't find anything I could use without taking my wheel off. I ain't gonna take that wheel off:surrender:......I have the replacement tire ready, I just wanted to wait till closer to the MnG.

·
Registered
852 Posts
No!!!
"Darleen" doesn't have a planter trough and can't find anything I could use without taking my wheel off. I ain't gonna take that wheel off:surrender:......I have the replacement tire ready, I just wanted to wait till closer to the MnG.
Then do it the lazy way. Get a spray bottle put some dish soap and warm water in it. Lay on the ground and spray it all over. You will see little tiny bubble. It might take 15 minutes but it will bubble up. The dish soap will coat the tire and a small leak will produce very small bubbles. Spray it and walk away. When you come back you will see a streak of little bubbles. Worst case you now have a clean tire and wheel. Yes check the wheel. The air can leak thru the metal. And pump it up more. Try 50 to 60 lbs if you don't find it at 41.
Don't get lazy on us a ride on a bad tire. You might not make it thru to the other side when it decides to become a big leak.

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Then do it the lazy way. Get a spray bottle put some dish soap and warm water in it. Lay on the ground and spray it all over. You will see little tiny bubble. It might take 15 minutes but it will bubble up. The dish soap will coat the tire and a small leak will produce very small bubbles. Spray it and walk away. When you come back you will see a streak of little bubbles. Worst case you now have a clean tire and wheel. Yes check the wheel. The air can leak thru the metal. And pump it up more. Try 50 to 60 lbs if you don't find it at 41.
Don't get lazy on us a ride on a bad tire. You might not make it thru to the other side when it decides to become a big leak.
Words to live by. I tried the soapy water and it is losing about 2 lbs per day. I will pump it higher and try that. I won't get lazy, I'll just replace it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don’t remember reading on here whether anybody mentioned the actual valve stem and whether it has been changed or not because the rubber will deteriorate over time and as a rule you should change the valve stem every two tire changes if you’re using the stock valve stems. Are use the heavier duty steel ones which will last a lot longer. Even then I usually change those out after the third tire. I had the same issue with my rear tire and it turned out to be the valves stem. At first I thought it was the core, but changing that had no effect. I always carry a spare valve stem cores, But I will be adding the actual valve stem to my little parts box in the saddlebag.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts