Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1041 - 1053 of 1053 Posts

·
Administrator
15,830 Posts
Yesterday I finally arranged to get the new tires mounted on the bike. I took the day off work and left out in the morning and ran down Hwy 15 (nice curves on the north end of it) into Harrison County. I turned off the highway at Railroad Bridge Creek Road and into Jackson County. At Old Biloxi Road I turned south to head to Ocean Springs. Halls Motorsports is where I arranged to get my new tires. They were expecting me and took the bike right in.
Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Automotive tire

While I waited, I wandered over to the Ocean Springs Veteran’s Memorial next door. I was very impressed. A Vietnam Memorial with pictures of those lost from Mississippi. There were signs around the walking track with descriptions and photographs of Medal of Honor recipients from Mississippi. Also, memorials to the submarine USS Tullibee (SS-248) lost during WWII, and the USS Mississippi (CGN-40) a guided missile cruiser, launched 1976, decommissioned 1997.
Sky Plant Tree Land lot Grass

Rectangle Sky Road surface Wood Architecture

They got finished with the bike at lunch time. Just in time for a run and stop at The Shed in Vancleave. This place is just off I-10 if you are passing through and I highly recommend it. Second best ribs I’ve ever had. The meat falls off the bone.
Food Table Tableware Bottle Ingredient

Afterwards I could have ridden home, but then it would have left me plenty of time to mow the grass. So, I wandered over to Mobile. Wouldn’t you know it, I just happened to stumble upon a brewery. (Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.) Ocean City Brewing Company originally opened in Panama City, FL and recently expanded their operations to Mobile. I sampled their Apalach IPA and declare it good. Just one though and headed out US 98 toward home. I did stop at a beer store in Semmes, AL to pick up a couple of beers not distributed around my area.
Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

I arrived home after putting a little over 100 miles on the new tires and getting them properly scrubbed in. It was a little warm, around 95, but that is to be expected in the heart of the sweat belt from now until September. A good day on the bike sure beats a day at work.

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
What?!? You only got tires? :D

Great report and that memorial looks amazing. The ribs look and sound very tasty.

·
Administrator
15,830 Posts
I have a meeting/training starting Monday in Chattanooga. A co-worker asked if I wanted to ride up there for that. We left this morning, meeting up with Danny in Ridgeland just outside of Jackson this morning.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

Danny rides a Victory. It's red, so he can probably keep up.

We rode out the Natchez Trace a little and then cut over to Hwy 25 to run up to Starkville and then east past Columbus into Alabama on some roads with good curves to Guntersville. It was a bit hot and sweaty for a bit, in the mid 90's but started to cool off as we gained altitude and latitude.
Smile Glasses Cloud Sky Land vehicle

Made it to Guntersville, but alas, the Efinref is out of town. Even worse, the restaurant he works at the bar is closed on Sunday. Even worser, the brewery across the street from the motel, Main Channel, is closed on Sunday. But we will endeavor to persevere. Danny is a good Hoon, he did manage to keep up with some spirited riding on the back roads in Alabama.
Land vehicle Wheel Tire Car Automotive tire

We will order a pizza and think about how to get to Chattanooga tomorrow. Straight lines not allowed.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a meeting/training starting Monday in Chattanooga. A co-worker asked if I wanted to ride up there for that. We left this morning, meeting up with Danny in Ridgeland just outside of Jackson this morning.
View attachment 280564
Danny rides a Victory. It's red, so he can probably keep up.

We rode out the Natchez Trace a little and then cut over to Hwy 25 to run up to Starkville and then east past Columbus into Alabama on some roads with good curves to Guntersville. It was a bit hot and sweaty for a bit, in the mid 90's but started to cool off as we gained altitude and latitude.
View attachment 280565
Made it to Guntersville, but alas, the Efinref is out of town. Even worse, the restaurant he works at the bar is closed on Sunday. Even worser, the brewery across the street from the motel, Main Channel, is closed on Sunday. But we will endeavor to persevere.
View attachment 280566
We will order a pizza and think about how to get to Chattanooga tomorrow. Straight lines not allowed.
Say, you clean up pretty good after huffing all those fumes and smoke!!!;)

·
Administrator
15,830 Posts

·
Administrator
15,830 Posts
I neglected to post my ride from Guntersville to Chattanooga. They are some roads I may have passed by before and if you are ever in the area, they are recommended.

We left out and headed north on AL 79 and stayed on that all the way into Tennessee. On a hot summer day it stays up on the ridge and was nice and cool along with some nice sweeping curves. In TN it drops off the ridge on some good switchbacks into Winchester. There we scooted east on US 64 to I-24. But we didn't get on the go-fast road, we kept straight on TN 50. After it twisted it's way up the ridge we took a right on 108 to Palmer and left on a nice country road of 399. I was headed for Dayton for lunch, so we cut north on US 127 to take TN 30 into Dayton. I just happened to find (what are the odds?) a Brewery with good food. If you are in the area be sure to stop at Monkeytown Brewing. Great place.

Friday for the ride home, we didn't want to jump on the go-fast roads right away. So we left out of Chattanooga and cut a bit northwest on TN 27 past Signal Mountain. Nice curves and after Powells Crossroads it curves past farms and through the countryside to almost I-24. We'll be on the go-fast roads soon enough so I took a right on US 72 through Jasper and then south into Alabama. At Scottsboro we reconnected with AL 79. We stayed on that all the way south to Cleveland where we cut west on CR 160 to I-65.

A great little run. That's where I rode for fun, the rest of yesterday riding home was good, but I wouldn't call it fun. Once we got to Birmingham the temperature gauge on the bike was showing 100/101 the rest of the ride. We stopped often for water breaks and got through it. A hard afternoon on the bike, but still better than a good day at work.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Thanks for the report, Mark. Of course no 📷.................
Riding in that heat can be brutal. We hit temperatures like that on the way to a recent Meet&Greet. Fortunately, we had our Coolpax phase change cooling vests and they made a big difference.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I went for a ride on Fathers Day, did myself a treat, I left Medford, OR on OR238. OR238 is a short highway it only runs from Hwy 99 in Medford to Hwy 199 in Grants Pass through the Applegate Valley. One thing that has always puzzled me about this road is every town on this road is 7 miles apart. The towns are Jacksonville, Ruch, Applegate, Provolt, Murphy and Grants Pass all are seven miles apart. Oh, well, I guess some things will never be explained. I left Grants Pass and headed to the town of Rogue River via hwy 99, turned at Rogue River and connected with East Evens Creek Road and headed to Wimer, Oregon. Wimer has some of the best hotdogs in Southern Oregon (IMO) so I just had to have one. Continued east on E.Evans Creek road, have to be careful on this road, there is a lot of deer in this area along with wild turkeys, exited out at Sams Valley. I have a video and as soon as I can get it edited I'll post a bit of the ride. Round trip was right at 100 miles.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
That was quite a ride! I looked over your route and could appreciate the twists and turns and the beautiful scenery you would have enjoyed. I do miss Oregon, especially the forests and the coast. Gold Beach was my dream location many years ago.

Reactions: crownfire

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
That was quite a ride! I looked over your route and could appreciate the twists and turns and the beautiful scenery you would have enjoyed. I do miss Oregon, especially the forests and the coast. Gold Beach was my dream location many years ago.
I lived in Gold Beach back in the mid 70's, nice little town, not much has changed except for the lumber mill closing down in the early 90's, other than that is still the same. We ride over that way maybe 3 times a year, I really like riding the PCH from Brookings north, Teresa and I normally make it a weekend trip. We ride to Astoria then take US30 east and cut off to Vernonia and take the back roads as far south as we can.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Administrator
15,830 Posts
I was assigned to a wildfire a few years ago where the Incident Command Post was in Gold Beach. The fire was up in the mountains but I was sleeping on the beach and watching whales jump offshore from my desk. Nice little town and I've got it on the bucket list to ride there one day.

1041 - 1053 of 1053 Posts