Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1001 - 1020 of 1036 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Judy and I had a great 301 mile ride on Sunday after church. We left home, thru Philadelphia, MS and continued on HWY 16 to Thompson Road. On to Alabama Hwy 17 to York and then to Demopolis. hwy 43 to Fosters. Back roads to Romulas and Aliceville. To Macon and Louisville and back home. I'll bet you Star Trek folks didn't know a human could go to Romulas on a motorcycle and survive. Those in the area or passing through these are some very cool roads.

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Sunday I rode my bike for the first time in over four weeks. I had to sneak out early as Martena might have stopped me from moving it. I took it a whole 400 feet from the carport outside the trailer we were renting to the garage of the new house.

All went well, no drops. The right leg held up the bike just fine. Sorry, no pictures. The bike is a lot happier to be in a garage.

I'm planning on a good test run next week to see how I'll do on a longer trip.

·
Administrator
28,999 Posts
Fullfilled a 55 year dream and rode the Bonneville Speedway on the Wing. Fully loaded with luggage and me only on a short blast of 88 mph, then put jaNice on the back and did a shot of 75 mph.

What an awesome thing. Had to go to a car wash afterwards to wash off the salt, but a giddy 9 year old was delighted.

Sure wish I would have had the Nighthawk.😉

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Fullfilled a 55 year dream and rode the Bonneville Speedway on the Wing. Fully loaded with luggage and me only on a short blast of 88 mph, then put jaNice on the back and did a shot of 75 mph.

What an awesome thing. Had to go to a car wash afterwards to wash off the salt, but a giddy 9 year old was delighted.

Sure wish I would have had the Nighthawk.😉
Freaking awesome! So, you can just go there and make a run? My bucket list keeps getting longer.

Reactions: NREMTP and Luv2fish

·
Administrator
28,999 Posts
Freaking awesome! So, you can just go there and make a run? My bucket list keeps getting longer.
Yes, Mark

Of course there are some restrictions, we got there and the salt was not flooded. If it is flooded or soft you are not to go on it. Additionally we stayed closer to the entrance at about 1-2 miles. The Speedway is 12 miles long. I just wanted to go on it, and wasn't so concern about getting out far.

People are encouraged to proceed at their own caution, and also you need to watchout for knobheads and boneheads. For intance there was one young dude disrespecting the salt and was out doing donuts in a mustang. The salt is preserved by the blm and the motor racing community to the best of my understanding and certainly "donuts" are not in the program.

I said to Janice, anyone who has a passion for the Speedway knows that the idea is about top speed in a straight line.

Of course we have a native Utah guy @JKWinger who may dispute all I said.
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
275 Posts
After a nice ride thru northwestern Pennsylvania earlier this week with friends from Florida, on their CanAm Spyder, Sue and I did a nice 280 mile loop up thru Vermont yesterday. (Amazing that they still have some full-service gas stations, with friendly attendants!)

Then today, it was 230 miles thru western Mass/Conn and eastern NY. Fun days they were!

(On to southern NH next)

Sing to Him who rides across the heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky. Ps 68:33

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Today @W1ngin1t, @Behind bars, @Ironhorse1954, Mark's neighbor and I went for a nice lunch ride. We convened at the Royal Farms on Route 17 so that gives the Richmond and Manassas folks a good 1 hour ride before we meet. Of course that means I only get 6 miles out of the deal. We then headed to Lake Anna for lunch at Tim's at Lake Anna. We took all back roads (and almost one gravel road) to get to the lake. It was a nice ride and almost no traffic. Had a great lunch and then did some catching up after about 18 months of no group rides. Great time was had by all.

Can you pick out the newcomer?

Great ride and all made it home safely.

Steve

·
Administrator
28,999 Posts
Looking good men.

Reactions: W1ngin1t

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
@fossil92 I've never been there. But you are right. There are idiots that disrespect the area. People do work hard to preserve it. The salt is getting thin too. Friends of mine have been out there for speed week. They said its something to see. Its said you can see the curvature of the earth on the flats. It is the flattest place on earth.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not a Goldwing ride but yesterday took the KTM 790 adventure bike up into Colorado. Ate breakfast in Durango then headed north about 10 miles on Highway 550. At Trimble Lane turned east to cross the Animas river then started climbing out on Missionary Ridge road. The ultimate destination was Burnt Timbers road overlooking Lemon reservoir, elevation was a little over 11,000 feet. A dead tree had fallen over the road and while trying to navigate around it on a slope stalled the bike and she tipped over. Got it back on its wheels and kept on going. In a little under two weeks will be leaving on a tour with my son and son-in-law for southern Utah. Neither one of them has been there as an adult. We will do Monument Valley, Capital Reef, Escalante Staircase, Byrce Canyon, and Zion during the six day trip. It will be two 2018 Goldwing Tours and a 2012 Ducati Multistrada.

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle
Plant Plant community Luggage and bags Tree Natural landscape

·
Administrator
28,999 Posts
Is that why the call them "Adventure " bikes, Rick???
🤣

Do not forget to go to Mexican Hat Utah and do the Moki Dugway (short but a blast, and the views are incredible) Rt 261.

Check out the pics on the web. The best part is dirt but easily negotiated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
🤣

Do not forget to go to Mexican Hat Utah and do the Moki Dugway (short but a blast, and the views are incredible) Rt 261.

View attachment 276882
🤣

View attachment 276882
Fossil92, agree with your recommendation, have ridden it twice but not on a Goldwing. Biggest concern is hitting a rock and throwing it up under the crankcase then cracking it. If we had a couple of pan protectors installed beneath our two Goldwing engines it would be a definite possibility. Negotiating wouldn't be the biggest worry because it is pretty well maintained. Great view of the Valley of the Gods off to the southeast where the Utah BDR passes through.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 HPNA in Challenger Brown Metallic
33 Posts
I say if you're never donning the rain gear on the side of the road in order to get where you're going without getting totally soaked, you don't ride enough. Either that, or you are an unprepared knucklehead that deserves to get wet. My Frogg Toggz raingear got deployed this afternoon for the ride home and kept me nice and dry. Don't get me wrong, I am not hard core enough to be venturing out in a rainstorm or doing a long distance road trip where a rainy travel day becomes necessary. But missing out on a whole day of riding because of the chance of isolated showers doesn't make much sense to me. I have plenty of storage space, so the raingear is always in my right saddlebag.

The ride started out like normal. I filled up with fuel before getting to our meet up spot. Hazy sun off and on and temps in the mid 70's made me ditch my sweatshirt once I got parked. The restaurant we normally get breakfast sammiches from is closed for vacation until tomorrow, so I had to settle for the microwave version from 7-11. The sammich wasn't terrible and the date thing is just a coinky-dink. The planned ride was to head for the northwest corner of the state to the town of Falls Village for a town wide car/truck/motorcycle show. It was KSU about 10:15 and there were 9 bikes hitting the road. This group tends to minimize interstate miles, so we did a short run on I-84 west to get across the river and onto RT.44 over Avon Mountain. A quick stop at the Cumberland Farms in Winsted for coffee and fuel and we were off to our final destination. I was thinking there would be no stops, but we're an older crowd, so...

Apparently, the town roads of Falls Village are where the show happens. Through traffic is blocked except for show vehicles and open to spectators on foot. We were allowed in on our bikes and parked at the post office which was closed for Sunday. Even though the skies were kinda gloomy, we viewed lots of show vehicles. Then it was time for lunch. The local VFW had a grill tent set up with hotdogs and hamburgers for cheap. That's when the sprinkles started off and on. Just enough to get things slightly wet, but after the 3rd round was when the guys without rain gear wanted to leave to try and get ahead of the rain. Shortly after they left the show cars started their exodus, and that's when my Goldwing bud and I also made our exit. I keep a good sized white towel in the left saddlebag for two reasons. First, as a cover for my seat when the sun is blazing. The seat is black and gets wicked hot and the white towel keeps it cool. Second, like today when I can quickly wipe it dry from rain. I let a Harley rider that was leaving the same time we were use it to dry his seat. Kinda guy I am.

We only got a few miles up on RT. 7 when it became obvious we were gonna need our rain gear. We pulled into a parking lot to put it on. I had my doubts whether it was necessary, but those doubts went away as we headed east on RT.44. Through Canaan, Norfolk, and Colebrook it was light steady rain. Then we hit Winsted where the rain got harder and was absolutely pouring just east of town. Not only was the rain a problem, but the temperature dropped into the 60's thanks to the rain. Another benefit of raingear. Some of the riders in our group only had shorts and t-shirts. Once we got into Canton that was pretty much the end of it. The rest of the ride was uneventful. As I got closer to home I got a hankering for ice cream, and got some at a place that sells locally made Shady Glen brand. There are plenty of places to get soft serve, but I am not a fan or 4 years old, and that's just not ice cream.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Getting some "saddle time" for up coming several day 2500 mi trip. Very nice weather on back end of Ida blowing past, humidity was low and high in low 80's.

Took off from Nashville up I-24W at 6:30 am. Needed a jacket as temps started out 60. Took I69 north past Hopkinsville ,Ky and got gas in Nortonville, KY. Went east on Western Kentucky Turnpike over to Elizabethtown, KY. Then got on Lincolon Scenic Highway to Hodgenville to visit Abraham Lincolon's childhood home 5 mi east of Hodgenville. Ended up the trip by going over to I-65 S back to Nashville.

1. Map of route
2. Nortonville, KY gas stop
3. Rest area near Beaver Dam, KY
4. Downtown Square in Hodgenville, KY
5. GPS Review of trip

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Few more pictures of days ride....

All these were at boyhood farm of Lincoln. There is railroad museum 4 miles north of here and Bardstown, KY is very close that is meca for bourbon distilleries.

Attachments

1001 - 1020 of 1036 Posts