·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Great photos keep them coming

Reactions: Luv2fish and NREMTP

·
Registered
223 Posts
Total trip distance was 5200kms and we encountered varying degrees of covid restrictions. Mostly we just kept good social distancing and sanitization practices. Some places required a mask to be worn indoors, others not. When we got to Watson Lake, we had to go through border screening and lots of questions. Yukon is open to BC residents but not those of us from Alberta. I was allowed in because we were just passing through and I could not stay more than 24 hrs. At other smaller indigenous communities along the way, no visitors are were allowed and no services were offered so that meant no fuel, or food. A couple of the hotels along the way had contracts with forestry or oil companies and they were dedicated to them. They would provide only very limited service to visitors. This meant we had to plan our fuel and food stops wisely. On the other hand, traffic was very light due to covid so we could travel smoothly and freely.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Nice pics and report!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Maui and Luv2fish

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Ditto

Reactions: Maui and Luv2fish

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Nice pics. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Maui

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I decided to head west to check out lingering damage from the storms from a few weeks ago. My destination was about an hour by the interstate, but I chose a more leisurely route on nearly deserted two lane roads following the river, then mostly the interstate to get back home for lunch. Starved Rock State Park and Matthiessen State Park Dells are still closed and I was hoping to get a feel for when they might reopen. These are two of the most beautiful parks in Illinois. Unfortunately I was not able to access either of them at all. I decided to go to Buffalo Rock State Park which is across the Illinois River from Starved Rock State Park because I had never been there.
IMG_20200831_105800.jpg

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
I crossed over the river, through the construction and entered Buffalo Rock State Park. It was so quiet that I stopped in the road to pull out my phone and snap a photo. I got passed by another car just as I was snapping a photo. I re-positioned my phone in its holder and snapped a couple of more shots while riding in on the twisty ans sometimes steep road.
IMG_20200831_111000.jpg

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Once into one of the parking lots I could see evidence of mature oak trees that had to be removed and cleaned up as well as other signs of damage to other trees in the area. I decided to stop and hike down to a river overlook and took some photos along the way. There are a few trails available for hiking that I did not take the time to check out. I think the boats are waiting for a turn to go through the lock on this navigable river. Many of the facilities in the park were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the early 20th century.
IMG_20200831_111620.jpg
IMG_20200831_112000.jpg
IMG_20200831_112012.jpg
IMG_20200831_112047.jpg

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
On my way to the slab for the trip home I passed through the tiny town of Naplate and saw a lot of brush that had been cleared from a cemetery after the storm. It was about a three hour trip and 110 miles on a near perfect day for Illinois.
IMG_20200831_113524.jpg

·
Registered
223 Posts
I enjoy reading the ride experiences of others! Well done! but I am sad that I haven't been riding my Wing much these past couple of weeks :confused:. Been working on the old Airstream though and took it out for a family vacation!

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Yesterday my wife and I, along with my brother and his riding companion, rode to Clare, MI for lunch. The Pondarosa there has a Wednesday senior lunch buffet special,very good.
Before stopping for lunch rode out to the Colonville General Store,which is an Amish run business. Has every thing from fancy clocks to wooden furniture to bear traps. Quite an interesting place. Then after lunch stopped at Jay's Sporting Goods where I bought a new Hi-viz green Frogg Togg jacket.
It was a good day and a nice ride.
Ride to Clare, MI.jpg Doherty Hotel downtown Clare, MI.jpg Whitehouse 24hr Burgers, Clare MI.jpg Amish run Colonville General Store.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Today was a Covid break away ride with Ironhorse1954 (aka Eddie). He met me at the Royal Farms on Rt 17 in Fredericksburg and we headed south to have lunch at Lake Anna, VA. I like back roads, especially on a holiday weekend at the end of the summer so we headed north on Rt 17 and took Rt 651 through Summerduck, VA. I decided to avoid any of the larger roads so we headed to Kelly's Ford, on Rt 620. Followed Rt 620 south along back roads to Rt 3. I've done this route several times and it is a nice two lane, slow country road with a lot of good twisties. When we got to Rt 3 I took a new route following Rt 647 to Rt 522. This was about 40 miles of all back roads and we never even saw another vehicle. The road was newly paved but a bit on the narrow side. When we hit Rt 522 we headed directly to Tim's at Lake Anna for lunch. I'll admit that Rt 647 is a neat road but at times I felt like my elbows were going to rub on the corn fields on the side of the road. Not sure if it is classified as a 2 lane road but I'm glad nothing was coming towards us.

Had a nice social distanced lunch at Tim's with Eddie catching up since our last ride. Great day for a ride and lunch with a friend.

941 - 960 of 990 Posts