Honda Goldwing Forum banner

921 - 940 of 984 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
We rode home today; a day earlier than planned after a last minute decision to pass on going to Jasper. When we woke up yesterday we decided instead of heading north, we'd go south to Creston BC, then northeast to Radium Hot Springs for one night. Our stay at Kaslo was great, as always. The roads are terrific, the scenery is great, and the town is friendly and, well, charming (not a word I often use!). Here's a couple of pics from town:

The boat is the Moyie, a stern wheeler that moved passengers and goods on Kootenay Lake for decades. On top of the closest piling from the old dock, at the right of the picture, there was an osprey nest with two chicks and the mother (I assume) caring for them. Hard to get a very good close-up picture with the phone. Wish we hadn't forgotten the camera. In the evening, we watched the mother ripping up a fish and feeding it to the litte ones (which weren't so little). Pretty cool.

Rails going into the water at the old shipyard:

And of course, one more shot from the beach, just because it's awesome:

As I mentioned, we made a last minute decision to head south from Kaslo, instead of north. This meant crossing another ferry. The ride south of Kaslo along Kootenay Lake was great. Nice temperature and great road. We got to the Balfour ferry just in time and they fit us onto the ferry that was just boarding.

After the 35 minute ride to the other side of the lake, we continued south another 80km along a fantastic twisty 3A. I've ridden that road several times, but it never gets old.

After a quick stop at Timmies in Creston, we headed through the East Kootenays to Radium Hot Springs for the evening. Renny (Armsrn) - sorry we didn't get in touch yet again while we were in your neck of the woods. The last minute change of plans to head home early, and my rush to get done with the heat are my only excuses. We really need to make a plan for another Kootenay's M&G so we can actually get together again. Maybe next year if this stupid Covid thing is over, or at least not so 'isolating'. Radium is not my kind of place really - every time I've been there it's hot, dry, dusty, and hot, but it's a convenient location, and it's quite affordable. We actually found a really good motel which I'd very much recommend to anyone looking to stay there (Mountain Springs Motel).

This morning we got up, found some breakfast and headed home. No pics today. Just lots of riding the slab, other than a detour on the same backroads as our trip down, to avoid the Calgary traffic.

All in all, it was nice to get away even for a few days. The Covid situation definitely made travel more difficult, especially food-wise. It did add a level of stress, but with the recommended precautions (distance, copious handwashing and sanitizer), it was good.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,749 Posts
Sad that I had to miss it. :(

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Super Moderator
28,438 Posts
Awesome report and pics @edmKC. So glad you guys had a good time.

We are planning our ride to Alaska next year so.....

·
Registered
446 Posts
We went up north today hunting fossils (lol), Bill you left some really beautiful countryside up there. We put about 200 miles wondering around your mountain home. Mom and I had a great day, on the way home got the dreaded cruise stuck on button which I will work on when I find time. Wish we would have had time to stop at the Dutch Diner but had to get home because it was after the dogs supper time and Mom worried if her boys aren't fed. LMAO

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Super Moderator
28,438 Posts
Yes, Barry...Pennsylvania sure is a pretty state but our trade sure has worked out, and AZ is a beauty all in itself.

Sure can't wait until all these home improvements are done and we can get some good riding in.... .

Then we can get some reports and pics of the Grand Canyon state

·
Registered
446 Posts
Wife and I lived out west until I stopped playing Army, we lived in Colorado and rode the west from Mexico to Canada. That is beautiful country also, if you get a chance and you get out to Colorado you have to ride through the Garden of the Gods. Also you have to check out Royal Gourge, when you are at the gouge try the bungee jump it is a thrill you won't forget. If you get out that way let me know I know a couple of friends that will probably love to show you around. Back in the day we all rode hard and fast but the years have caught up with us all.😂👍

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Rode to Silver Lake, MI today, it is separated from Lake Michigan by a huge sand dune area. It is where many people go to play in the sand with dune buggy's, jeeps Quads and the likes. We didn't venture into the sand just site seeing, the wife did beat my arse in a round of mini-golf and she is not rubbing it in at all. Well not much. Rode just about 250 miles on a beautiful day.
Silver Lake Mini golf Cindy (2).jpg Silver Lake 8-9-20.jpg 20200809_150030.jpg 20200809_150032.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
Decided I was going to take the Goldwing for a ride for something other than errands. Since COVID hit I only get about 30 miles per ride. I headed out to the Shenandoah National Forest for a ride up Skyline Drive. Headed North on Route 17 and then took Rt 29 South to Culpeper. From there I hit all back roads to avoid any traffic and enjoy the scenery. Headed west on Rt 522 to Rt 211 in Sperryville, VA. Took Rt 211 west to the top of the mountains and hit Skyline drive. Rt 211 has some nice twisties and a couple of double backs that make it fun and interesting. Once on Skyline Drive I headed North to Front Royal, VA. It is a great ride on motorcycle, 35 MPH, no trucks and today there was almost no traffic. Pulled over at a couple of scenic overlooks for photos. but the bugs were thick so I didn't spend much time there. Saw some deer and a huge copperhead snake in the middle of the road. He even picked up his head at me when I was going by him. After getting to Front Royal I decided to take the go fast roads home since it was over 90° and high humidity. Total was almost 200 miles and 4.5 hours.

776C0216-79A9-45E9-880F-7D1C1E8C8171.jpeg

Bugs, bugs, bugs!

·
Super Moderator
28,438 Posts
A beautiful day too it looks like Steve. Well done lad.

·
Registered
446 Posts
That is real beautiful country we rode it many times in our younger years, envy you for living that close that you can ride it on a day ride.👍

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just got home yesterday from an 8 day trip from Edmonton to Watson Lake Yukon following the BC Northern Circle tour going counter clockwise. The Alaska highway was in very good shape with virtually no traffic. And we had decent weather most of the way. One super rainy day.

The route we took was to meet in Clearwater, then north via 100 Mile House to historic Barkerville and stayed over night in Wells. Then off the Fort St John the next day. Next day up to Liard Hit Springs for the night. The springs were closed to the public kick but no one was there so we hiked around the fence and got to see the springs. After that we rode up to Watson Lake (where I dropped my bike at a stand still and will be applying for a +1!) and continued back into BC on Hwy 37. Also a very nice road but mostly deserted on our way to Dease Lake for another night. Next was rainy - we did 1000 kms from Dease Lake to Prince George and about half of it in cold pouring rain. Then the home stretch from Prince George to my lake cabin at Seba beach via Jasper. Hung out at the cabin for a day then did another 350km the day after down to Rocky Mountain House and back to Edmonton. Whew! But man was it fantastic!!

I’ll post some pics!

·
Registered
221 Posts
the rain let up a bit so we stopped for a stretch near Meziadin Junction BC

921 - 940 of 984 Posts