Honda Goldwing Forum banner

881 - 900 of 949 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I rode with my buddy Jim today. Headed NE of Edmonton to Lamont County, who have 47 churches in the county and proclaim to be the “Church Capital of North America “. We were looking for Ukrainian Churches to photograph. Rode about 300 km round trip.
I do believe some of those look familiar :)

I got out this afternoon for a ride as well. Did a loop south of here, over west to Beaumont, Devon, north through Stony Plain the to Hwy 37 and back to the Fort. Sure was a nice day for riding. Unfortunately though my Sena SRL seems to have died. Ran out of battery power along the way and now it won't charge at all. This is the 2nd time this has happened. The first time was within 2 months of buying it and Sena replaced it, but now it's 2 years old they probably won't do anything. Sent them a message on their website today, so hopefully will have some idea what's going on soon. We're thinking of going for a ride for a few days in 2 weeks so I need something by then. Frustrating! :mad:

Reactions: NREMTP and Maui

·
Registered
195 Posts
I do believe some of those look familiar :)

I got out this afternoon for a ride as well. Did a loop south of here, over west to Beaumont, Devon, north through Stony Plain the to Hwy 37 and back to the Fort. Sure was a nice day for riding. Unfortunately though my Sena SRL seems to have died. Ran out of battery power along the way and now it won't charge at all. This is the 2nd time this has happened. The first time was within 2 months of buying it and Sena replaced it, but now it's 2 years old they probably won't do anything. Sent them a message on their website today, so hopefully will have some idea what's going on soon. We're thinking of going for a ride for a few days in 2 weeks so I need something by then. Frustrating! :mad:
Glad you had a great ride today too! Sorry to hear about your Sena batteries. Does Sena even sell them separately?

Reactions: armsrn

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I don't think so. I'm not sure if it's the battery, or the unit itself.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had the same problem with my Sena's had one that only worked for about 4 hours and never powered up after, replaced that and the new one only lasted a month and same thing. I think Sena had a problem hope they solve it.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I had the same problem with my Sena's had one that only worked for about 4 hours and never powered up after, replaced that and the new one only lasted a month and same thing. I think Sena had a problem hope they solve it.
Hope so, but turns out I'm 1 month out of warranty. Figures. I've been in discussion with them today and am waiting to hear back if they'll do anything for me.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Luv2fish and NREMTP

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Hey All
I have been off the "wing for over a month (high hamstring injury) but......
Maui and a couple of friends ( Pete and Keith ?) came down from Edmonton
I thought well I'll ride down town to see them...... 6 1/2 hours later we were back😃🤪
Showed them some our roads and scenery
A great ride and actually helped my injury
Looking forward to more rides
Enjoy

everyday is a good day...... some are just gooder than others

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,342 Posts
The past two days I've ridden over to Vicksburg and back to the AmeriCorps Training Center. We will be teaching a crew the initial wildland firefighter training next month. Yesterday was a day to answer their questions and let them know what they would be in for if they signed up. I took the fast way there, over to the Natchez Trace and then I-20 to Vicksburg. The Center is right on the Confederate lines in Vicksburg. That is some of the defensive lines behind that white car.
2020 07 24 AmeriCorps Vicksburg (2).jpeg
It was raining due to Tropical Storm Hanna influences when I left at the end of the day so I reversed course and headed home. It quit not long into the ride so I stopped and watched a little baseball at my local beer store. Great place and I'll sure miss it when I move.

2020 07 24 Barley's (2).jpeg
This morning I made the same run, but to the YMCA in Vicksburg. We held two pack tests (carry a 45 pound vest for 3 miles in 45 minutes or less) for those who signed up for the fire crew. Picture is them getting ready to start the first one. It wasn't too hot, 77 degrees, but the humidity was 95%.
2020 07 25 Pack Test (2).jpeg
On the way home, rain from Hurricane Hanna influence was on the way but far enough off that I could take the scenic route. I went south on Halls Ferry Road which becomes Fisher Ferry Road to the Old Port Gibson Road. I followed that east to Raymond, picture is downtown,
2020 07 25 Raymond (2).jpeg
and then onto the Natchez Trace into Ridgeland. North on US 51 takes me to Yandell Road. A right on that would take me home, but look, there's Barley's! A quick stop to pick up something for the fridge at home turned into a request by Martena to pick up lunch. So I had to have a pint to think about what to bring home.

Yesterday; 120 miles. Today; 140 miles. I have one more morning there tomorrow and planning on the northerly route home. We will see what the day brings.

·
Super Moderator
14,342 Posts
Another trip to Vicksburg this morning to help with the AmeriCorps fire crew training. I again went there the fast roads via the Natchez Trace down to I-20 and west to Vicksburg. They almost all passed. A few thought youth would overcome. But there is always a few who find out life ain't easy. But the young woman in front showed up everyone. She finished in 34 minutes.
2020 07 26 Delta run 01 AmeriCorps WCT (2).jpeg
Afterwards I headed north on US 61. I made a quick stop at Onward. Near this store is where the hunting camp of Theodore Roosevelt was located in 1902 for a bear hunting trip. The guide tied up a young bear and Teddy refused to shoot it. This is where the Teddy Bear originated.
2020 07 26 Delta run 02 Onward (2).jpeg
I continued north to Rolling Fork and then east on Hwy 16. The Delta is flat and all farmland. But the roads aren't straight as you would expect. They tend to be alongside creeks and rivers and follow their crocked path. Hwy 16 has some nice sweepers until you get to Holly Bluff. There I turned onto a local road to Satartia. This is a great country road also with plenty of sweepers. At Satartia you leave the Delta and go up into the hills. From here to US 49 at Bentonia the road, Hwy 433, also curves back and forth with gusto. Always a great ride and so far on this morning I had all these roads to myself. At Bentonia it was 11:00 and I had always wanted to make a stop at the Blue Front Cafe, an old Blues Juke Joint run by Jimmy "Duck" Holmes. He wasn't in but I had a beer and looked over the place. If you like the Blues, the Delta is where it originated.
2020 07 26 Delta run 04 Blue Front Cafe (2).jpeg 2020 07 26 Delta run 06 Blue Front Cafe (2).jpeg 2020 07 26 Delta run 10 Blue Front Cafe Jimmy Duck Holmes (2).jpeg
The last picture is Jimmy Holmes. I bought his cd and plan to listen to it tomorrow on my way back down to Wiggins for work this week. Afterwards I headed south on US 49 to Flora. Other people started to drive around and the turn east on Hwy 22 found some Sunday drivers ahead of me. I was almost to Nissan Parkway before I got around them and that is only 10 minutes from home. A good day and 180 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
I remember places like that diner. Service with sometimes an attitude, but great food. Thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Took the first leg (400 miles) of a 6-leg journey today. Left from Sue's place in Oxford at 7AM, did the go-fast (I-69/I-75) up to Standish and then hopped along 5 various lighthouses to the Big Mack and then on up to the Soo Locks.

We stopped at the lighthouses at Tawas Point, Sturgeon Point, New Presque Isle, 40-Mile Point and Cheboygan.

Great ride so far, but kinda pooped tonight.

(Tomorrow we do Whitefish Point, Tahquamenon, Pictured Rocks and the "Michigan Tail of the Dragon", H-58 between Grand Marais and Munising. )

Sing to Him who rides across the heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky.
Ps 68:33

·
Registered
162 Posts
Had a nice ride yesterday, hitting a few more lighthouses and the best places along the north-eastern shoreline of the U.P.
Started out from the Soo, and met a nice guy in the parking lot of the Mickey-D's there - we talked about the craziness in our world and he related his experiences with the Christian Motorcycle Association. A real nice start to the day.
Then we headed along the shoreline of Whitefish Bay, stopping at the Point Iroquois lighthouse along the way. From there, it was on up to Whitefish Point, and the lighthouse there - we had 2 freighters going by while we were there.
Next it was both Upper and Lower Falls at Tahquanemon and a stop for lunch at the brewery there.
Then we followed H-58 from Grand Marais to Munising - Michigan's Tail of the Dragon, for sure!
And, of course, we had to make the quick stop at Pictured Rocks on the way by.

Lastly, a most unexpectedly delightful little diversion to the shoreline across US-41 from our Enconolodge in Marquette - the sunset was superb, with the outline of Marquette and it's lighthouse in the distance.
A perfect end to a perfect day!

Sing to Him who rides across the heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky.

·
Super Moderator
28,282 Posts
The U.P. is quite serene and laid back. Loved Pictured Rocks. Looks like you two are having a great time

·
Super Moderator
14,342 Posts
Enjoy the Keweenaw Peninsula. I went to MTU and actually graduated, despite the distractions that come with living in that area.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great route, did the UP twice in the last 3 years. H58 is a great ride, especially since they resurfaced it a couple of years ago. If you end up going into St. Ignace for a night, stay at the Firehouse Inn, Jeff is a great host. If you're going far west and near Bergland,MI stay at AJ's Walleye Resort, another great place to stay on Lake Gogebic.
Nice pics of your ride.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It doesn’t look they are open for tours. It is strange to see whitefish point light house parking lot so empty.
Everything open (maybe not the tours) - just happened to park on the end of the row. Lots of people there for a weekday.

·
Registered
162 Posts
We had a great ride up to Copper Harbor, stopping for a quick picture of the Marquette lighthouse that we had seen from the distance the night before. Then, when got to Houghton, it was a little buzz around the MTU campus that I attended 45 years ago - boy, has it changed over the years!. At that point, it was time for lunch at the Kaleva Cafe in Hancock.

We made a point to take in the Quincy Mine Tour - what an interesting 2 hours that was! Didn't know that the open end of the mine was few blocks from where I lived in Hancock. (The old gray store-front building on Franklin Street is STILL THERE - we called it "The Box" - it was old then.)

Before we landed in CH, we visited the Eagle Harbor lighthouse, then headed up Brockway Mountain Drive for the ultimate views of the upper Keweenaw and Copper Harbor! Tiring, but a great day.

·
Super Moderator
14,342 Posts
We had a great ride up to Copper Harbor, stopping for a quick picture of the Marquette lighthouse that we had seen from the distance the night before. Then, when got to Houghton, it was a little buzz around the MTU campus that I attended 45 years ago - boy, has it changed over the years!. At that point, it was time for lunch at the Kaleva Cafe in Hancock.
I also attended MTU. Started in 1978 and Graduated in 1981, so you may have been gone before I got there. I haven't been back since 1991.

Reactions: Luv2fish and NREMTP
881 - 900 of 949 Posts